• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Schefter thinks Darnold worth 1st rounder if traded

Ja  Rhule

It’s a seller’s market right now with starting qb’s because of the amount of teams in demand. The rich draft class at the position also kind of fuels the frenzy. 

This speculation is just hedging bets. Reporters have nothing to lose with the speculation. It drives talk. If it doesn’t work out, well that was a deal that was “unlikely” anyway. If it does you’re now trustworthy. 

Let’s pay attention to assertions and their sources. 

• Beer 1

I wouldn't mind getting him IF we cant get Fields, Wilson,Lance.

But Not at that price 

This just shows how big and important the QB spot has become in this league.  If you dont have one, prepare to open the wallet.

This is why its so important we draft one this year sitting in the top 10.  Because this will probably be the last time we draft in the top 10, and to trade into the top 5 from there for a QB, you're looking at Rams moving up for Goff type deal.  If not your going to be stuck trading multiple 1s for a Stafford, a 1 for Darnold, etc

Edited by ncfan
  • Beer 1

Darnold is going to be as good as the system and talent around him. I think that if we traded for him and he played in Brady’s system he’d be good. I worry about when Brady leaves tho...

We need a QB who is going to thrive no matter the system...and be excellent in a great system. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, The Huddler said:

ill take a chance on a young Tannehill

dude was thrown onto a sshit team with an even shittier coach

I mean, so was Clausen and we burned him at the stake. 

Darnold has done nothing in the NFL. To boot he also only has one year of his rookie deal left, so he's not even a bargain.

A first rounder for him would be moronic. 

2 hours ago, ncfan said:

I wouldn't mind getting him IF we cant get Fields, Wilson,Lance.

But Not at that price 

This just shows how big and important the QB spot has become in this league.  If you dont have one, prepare to open the wallet.

This is why its so important we draft one this year sitting in the top 10.  Because this will probably be the last time we draft in the top 10, and to trade into the top 5 from there for a QB, you're looking at Rams moving up for Goff type deal.  If not your going to be stuck trading multiple 1s for a Stafford, a 1 for Darnold, etc

I don't get the portion of our fanbase that wants to trade down or stick it out with Teddy while we build a team. If you don't have a QB in the NFL, you are going nowhere and fast. 

Only two teams made the playoffs this season without top 16 QB's in the NFL, the Bears and WTF's. That trend goes back a few years, with the only exceptions being a backup QB in Nick Foles and the shell of Peyton Manning having the ultimate success. Philly was propelled in by an MVP caliber performance from Wentz and Peyton Manning was propelled in by the best defense in the NFL.

I see both sides because the issues are situational more than dispositional. Do we trade up, and eliminate our ability to support that QB by assembling a solid OL?  The chances for success depend on our ability to support the QB that is to carry us.  So if we can get the QB we want without selling the farm, do it.  However, if getting that QB means selling the farm and crowning Paradis as our best OL, then we have to consider other options, and we do have Bridgewater for at least 1 more season--and draft a T and G/C with the picks it would take to move up, deciding to go after the QB in free agency or the draft next year?  I am for doing what it takes to get a QB now because we are at #8 and can trade up, but we may have to part with some bigger contracts and play some rookies to build the OL.