• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moton to be tagged?

Mr. Scot

54 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Whoa slow down buddy. The Saints want to have a word with you. Hell the Eagles, Rams, Falcons, Chiefs, Packers or Steelers would all be over the frickin moon to swap cap space with the Panthers.

For the record, the Panthers are 15th in the NFL in cap space, technically slightly above average. Plus they have 2 obvious cuts in Weatherly and Short that frees up an extra $16 million even without designating either as a post-June 1st cut; those moves alone would jump them up to 8th, all else being equal. Let's rein back the hyperbole.

And all those teams are winning teams  except the Falcons and Eagles. And yea the Falcons are fuged cap wise. But we have the most dead money. And laughing at the Falcons feels like the the whole ‘at least we aren’t the Browns or Jets’ mantra we have enjoyed so much as a shitty franchise forever. Not to mention our cap space is going to players not even on the team lol. Big difference.

Lets not compare to the bottom of the barrel, our cap situation is poo for the next two years.

If it weren’t we would have resigned Moton last year, but we couldn’t...

Edited by onmyown

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Taylor Moton
CAR • OT • 72
View Profile
There is no doubt about this scenario as Moton has emerged into one of the better tackles in the game. He isn't going anywhere. He is getting the tag, sources said, and the Panthers want to secure his services well into the future, with the extension Ronnie Stanley did midseason with the Ravens a possible template.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-13-nfl-players-2021-franchise-tag-chances-by-tiers-from-sure-things-to-playing-a-hunch/

Moton deserves a big payday and I predicted a couple months ago that his agent would clamor for him to get paid comparably to the highest paid left tackles. But there's a difference between what your agent is going to demand and what a team is realistically going to offer. Using Ronnie Stanley, a 1st team all pro left tackle the year before his contract extension, as a starting point for Moton, a right tackle who has never made a single pro bowl or all pro team, is silly. I'm fine with something around $15 million per year but anything pushing $20 million is getting a bit ridiculous.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, onmyown said:

And all those teams are winning teams  except the Falcons and Eagles. And yea the Falcons are fuged cap wise. But we have the most dead money. And laughing at the Falcons feels like the the whole ‘at least we aren’t the Browns or Jets’ mantra we have enjoyed so much as a shitty franchise forever. Not to mention our cap space is going to players not even on the team lol. Big difference.

Lets not compare to the bottom of the barrel, our cap situation is poo for the next two years.

If it weren’t we would have resigned Moton last year, but we couldn’t...

You got it all wrong. We have very little dead money on our books now. Most of it is Kuechly's. We'll add some to it with Short but it's not going to look anything like the last year or two. Our cap situation, as long as we don't screw it up moving forward, is looking pretty damn good over the next couple years. Stop living in the past.

And I highlighted the absolute worst teams cap-wise for comparison. Some of them are good teams, but a couple are even worse than us. You're also forgetting we have the 15th most cap space. That means 17 teams have less cap than us. Not just the few I mentioned. Way different than having the worst cap situation in the league. Literally every single team with more cap space than us either has no real QB (like the Colts and Patriots) or a rookie QB, except for the Bucs, which damn, kudos to them. They also got Brady at a bargain. But goes to show, when you have a cost controlled player at the most expensive position in football, you're going to have more money to work with. We're already ahead of the curve despite having little cap to roll over with all the dead money last year. Now give us a 1st round qb and unload Teddy's cap hit next year and we'll be sitting near the top of the list. 

2 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

You got it all wrong. We have very little dead money on our books now. Most of it is Kuechly's. We'll add some to it with Short but it's not going to look anything like the last year or two. Our cap situation, as long as we don't screw it up moving forward, is looking pretty damn good over the next couple years. Stop living in the past.

I think we actually do have the most right now.  Or at least close to it.  But that will change over the next few weeks as players get released or retire (Brees?).    

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

Whoa slow down buddy. The Saints want to have a word with you. Hell the Eagles, Rams, Falcons, Chiefs, Packers or Steelers would all be over the frickin moon to swap cap space with the Panthers.

And given their records of the last five years (some of them even longer than that) they actually have something to show for it. Heck, even the Falcons have been to a Super Bowl since we were last there. And the Eagles won theirs.

Plus it's not like our cap space is phenomenal. We've got a lot of holes in our roster and don't even have enough cap space to keep both of our best players. To top it all off, while I'm extremely happy that Ron and Marty are gone, we still don't really know how good our current braintrust is...especially our GM.

There's certainly reason to be hopeful for the future, but the suggestion that anyone (especially among the teams mentioned) is looking at the post 2015 Panthers and thinking "man, I wish we ran things like they did" is kinda silly.

Moton is a high-character, low-penalty, hardly-injured, fundamentally-sound, intelligent, player who is one of the best RTs in the game.  Pay him.

Scot is right--this is the offseason to try him at LT.  RR did not like the idea (obviously) and he was better on the right side when I saw him in preseason games at LT---but moving to LT could be tried.  If so, sign him now and drop the tag--give him $60m over 4 seasons. 

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I've always thought we should move Moton to left tackle. I see no reason why, if we're going to pay him big money, we shouldn't do it now. I think he can be just as good on the left side as he's been on the right.

It depends if he can play there. 

As I understand it he's played RT all of his career (both here and in College). He'd have to completely re-learn his footwork. 

I'm not on board with Franchise Tagging him though. I think he's good and absolutely a RT you'd love to keep around, but he's not exceptional. 

Edited by OldhamA

Moton is an enormous man playing an extremely violent game, and he's no spring chicken. Tagging Moton is what I would do rather than signing him to a long term deal. I just don't think his body is going to hold up in the long run. His back, legs, something is going to go at some point. I like the Tag.

Edited by pantherj

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

And given their records of the last five years (some of them even longer than that) they actually have something to show for it. Heck, even the Falcons have been to a Super Bowl since we were last there. And the Eagles won theirs.

Plus it's not like our cap space is phenomenal. We've got a lot of holes in our roster and don't even have enough cap space to keep both of our best players. To top it all off, while I'm extremely happy that Ron and Marty are gone, we still don't really know how good our current braintrust is...especially our GM.

There's certainly reason to be hopeful for the future, but the suggestion that anyone (especially among the teams mentioned) is looking at the post 2015 Panthers and thinking "man, I wish we ran things like they did" is kinda silly.

That's the thing though. You're referencing the past whereas I'm referencing the future. Where did I praise our handling of the last few years or suggest teams are envious of the Panthers of the last few years? I am in no way praising our previous management. You're completely missing the point of my post if that's the takeaway. The whole point is we've been mired in an awful cap situation for the better part of the decade and saddled with tremendous amounts of dead cap the last couple years and finally, when lots of teams are seeing the squeeze of a contracting COVID-effected cap, our cap situation is above average and only likely to get significantly better with the last few bad contracts of the old regime set to come off or with an easy out by 2022.

Granted, that's assuming our new GM doesn't eff things up, but I think most people are cautiously optimistic he has to do a better job than what we've had. Yeah, we have holes, who doesn't? We only have 2 free agents worth a damn to sign, 1 of whom honestly won't be worth paying his market even if we had $70 million in cap space and the other we will easily afford with little cap manipulation. We don't even have to make a single hard cut like lots of other teams. Cut just the deadweight that isn't helping our team anymore (Short, Weatherly, Palardy) and we'll have more money than we need. We're not at the point where recklessly spending millions in free agency makes any sense so why do we need $80 million anyway when the $40 million we'll probably end up with when all is said and done will more than suffice. Especially when teams like New Orleans are sitting without a qb and have to gut 1/3 of their roster just to get under the cap without signing a single free agent. Would I rather be New Orleans from 2017-2020? Hell yeah. Would I rather be New Orleans moving forward? Open to debate but for me, honestly no. 

Edited by Peon Awesome
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

One of our most productive draft picks over the last 5 years.

Doesn't miss time.

Swung to LT in a pinch and looked good, great at RT.

Has all but no help on the offensive line.

Still looked good, even with no CMC and Cam's threat to run.

Homegrown.

No off field issues.

No injury history.

Plays one of the most important positions on the football field.

If you don't extend guys like that, I'm not sure who you should extend.

P.S. this is very similar to Bradberry.

• Pie 1