• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign OT Cam Erving - 2 years, 10 million, 8 fully guaranteed

Varking

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Dude built an online persona around two people associated with the Panthers.

Neither of them is actually here anymore, but he continues within the same persona.

Hilarious 😆

They seriously need to get a girlfriend, or a boyfriend, or a life, or...something.

I think he would be lucky to get the plastic at an adult boutique.

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Then don’t pay them above average starter money. People think below $10M a year is backup money but the top salaries skew people’s opinions. $4.5-$5M a year is top half starter money. It’s not depth, these guys better start or it’s a huge waste.

Calm down Karen. You are not a cap expert nor have half the experience Rhule and Fit do. They are not starting but are quality backups getting paid for what they are. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That’s the dumbest post ever. Why is he only taking guaranteed money and then spreading it over the full contract. If Erving plays Plays both years we are paying $10M. If Elflein plays 3, he gets $16.5.

How do you justify that post?

People believe what they want to believe. And most sportswriters have no clue when it comes to the cap. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I looked at the list and Reiff and Thuney were on there and there are 160 starting OL so these guys are being paid like above average starters. Not depth or backup or rotation flexible guys. 56 is 1.5 starters out of 5, so again above average money.

I was looking at sportrac 2021 players under contract sorted by cap hit - Thuney is not on there, feel free and point it out if I missed it. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/guard/

Theres 160 starting positions on the OL if you include centers. My count of players with cap hits of over 5 million next year did not as all indications are these guys are brought in at guard and tackles so you'd be looking at 128 spots. We could run with 160 but we'd have to factor in centers with 5 mil+ hits too.

I was going to try and do the math reflecting either Centers over 5 million or the same math of 56 players, 128 spots to see if it came out below 1 but I admittedly couldn't follow the math - granted I'm trying to do it between calls with attorneys but still. 

Finally the 5 million was just a quick baseline. We know Elflein isn't making 5, so that brings in a higher number of players making more which in turn lowers the perceived value per position. 

Average of 2 and 4 million guaranteed per year for our two linemen. I just don't see this as above average and haven't seen any numbers anywhere that would indicate it is. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

Calm down Karen. You are not a cap expert nor have half the experience Rhule and Fit do. They are not starting but are quality backups getting paid for what they are. 

You pick up backup OL in June after the draft and UDFA show up. And maybe he’s not an expert, but if the Panthers followed his plan last year, they would be in much better shape than they are currently under Rhule’s decisions.