• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mariota likely to be cut

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

See if Trey is there at 8. If not, take Sewell or Slater and see if there's a qb in the 2nd worth looking at. Then worry about getting somebody. If SF wants Teddy, see what they have to offer.

SF wants a pick from the Panthers to take TB. 

3 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

They still have to offer something in a trade. Teddy and a 7th for a 4th still clears his salary.

Of course. But we aren’t getting a 5th from anyone. 

EDIT——Sorry wasn’t you that said that. 
My bad.

Edited by Toomers

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If the 49ers sign Flacco, I'd say any chance of trading Bridgewater to them is dead.

Pretty much.  I think Teddy's deal screwed the Panthers from ever being able to trade him even as a backup to anyone without the Panthers paying even more the get rid of him.  F*ck'n Marty and his stupid contracts.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Pretty much.  I think Teddy's deal screwed the Panthers from ever being able to trade him even as a backup to anyone without the Panthers paying even more the get rid of him.  F*ck'n Marty and his stupid contracts.

Yes, this is what I've been trying to tell people.  I love Deshaun, great player.  But I just don't see how we trade for him.  We simply can't do it with Teddy, our cap doesn't allow it.  So, any deal for Deshaun must either include Teddy, *or* we have to trade Teddy PRIOR to trading for Deshaun.

Now, with Houston bringing in Tyrod, it make that trade even harder.  In fact, as far as cap goes, a Deshaun / Teddy swap sucks for both teams.  It's just a crap situation all around.

We don't have the cap to sign anything resembling an NFL QB unless we first ditch Teddy.  Clearly, that's not going to happen.  It's looking more and more like our best option is to move up and get a QB through the draft.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

LV really bonered that didn't they? Had a few offers on the table for him at one point from what I understand. 

The issue was once they set over the contract details. Raiders included lots of pay increases with such things as starts, passing yards, wins, snaps, etc. Best I seen, Marcus already hit some with the one game form 2020, his contract was on the way to being 20 million with minor 2021 stuff(starts, yards, etc). I think theres also a trade kicker too. Teams seen the incoming money and where like " NO THANKS". 

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Add Mariota to the list of "possibly the best bad option we have available" behind Deshaun Watson and a 1st round draft pick. 

But is he though? The best "bad" option left just may be the young kid whose play birthed a new mania.

Washington State Wsu GIF by Pac12Network

Definitely wouldn't trade for Mariotta. Don't want to inherit that contract. Once released you can sign him for much less.  If we release Bridgewater before 6/1 the dead cap in 2021 is 20 million. After 6/1 it is 15 million. If we trade him pre 6/1 the dead cap in 2021 is 10 million. An after 6/1 trade would cost us 5 million in dead cap space in 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

• Pie 1