• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mariota likely to be cut

Mr. Scot

40 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Definitely wouldn't trade for Mariotta. Don't want to inherit that contract. Once released you can sign him for much less.  If we release Bridgewater before 6/1 the dead cap in 2021 is 20 million. After 6/1 it is 15 million. If we trade him pre 6/1 the dead cap in 2021 is 10 million. An after 6/1 trade would cost us 5 million in dead cap space in 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

Mariota has incentives in that contract that could escalate to $20m, and that is why they can't trade him.  Best to let him be cut and offer him a backup QB deal or a $10m 1-year "prove it" deal, and I am not that big a fan of those. I am at the point where we should just get that QB and go all in for a QB in the draft.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

Don't understand the fascination with signing a temporary QB to replace our temporary QB.

Is the hate boner for Teddy wearing off so we need another backup quality starter to get a new raging hate boner for?

Sometimes I wonder if we like watching this team blow money.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Mariota has incentives in that contract that could escalate to $20m, and that is why they can't trade him.  Best to let him be cut and offer him a backup QB deal or a $10m 1-year "prove it" deal, and I am not that big a fan of those. I am at the point where we should just get that QB and go all in for a QB in the draft.

Not quite understanding your last statement here. We should get "that" QB and draft a QB? What QB? 

As for the one-year prove-it deal, I am a fan in certain situations. It depends on your circumstances (which obviously won't be the best). I was telling Snow in the thread that if we had stuck to a one-year prove-it deal as opposed to what was essentially a two-year prove it deal with Teddy, we wouldn't be in this situation (and that not necessarily only means this specific possible lame duck situation with Teddy where we really don't want him, but maybe the greater situation with drafting outside of the top 5, because Teddy would likely have been a Bear). 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Don't understand the fascination with signing a temporary QB to replace our temporary QB.

Is the hate boner for Teddy wearing off so we need another backup quality starter to get a new raging hate boner for?

Sometimes I wonder if we like watching this team blow money.

Is that a Louisville Cardinal?

16 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Is that a Louisville Cardinal?

Yes, it's the only one with teeth! Lol

I've been around since a lot of the guys on here were on the Scout.com Panthers board was the biggest Carolina Panthers board online.

I like Teddy the person. Great guy. Not so much as our QB, and I thought he'd be way better, but I was wrong. 

I've always been Mr Patient, build through the draft, be careful in FA, sign good contracts. That puts you in a position to make that one trade for a QB, or what have you, to put you over the top and into the SB conversation. And I don't believe in losing on purpose.

Everything I've said in here is in line with those values. Teddy is a bad contract, and every QB left is a backup level talent you're going to use to compete with backup level talent. That's bad money chasing bad money for negligible benefit.

We've made a bad signing, don't compound it with another one. Let's make smart moves and set ourselves up to get that QB in this draft or next that is either ready right away or can sit and learn behind PJ, Teddy, or whoever.

• Pie 1