• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Foreshadowing the line?

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, davos said:

Have you heard any general consensus on how good the OT prospects are?  There seems to be a lot of naturally athletic guys that are 6'4+, 34" arms, & good flexibility.  I see about 6-7 after Sewell & Slater.  A lot more than most years.  

It's as good as an OT class as last year with even more depth. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

Erving quote from Darin Gantt's "Rebuilding the Line" article...

"Yeah, you know nobody gives you anything in this league, that's first things first," Erving said when he arrived last week. "But they wanted me to come in here and compete to play left tackle. That's something I've been striving for and wanting to do for a long time in my career."

• Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Erving quote from Darin Gantt's "Rebuilding the Line" article...

"Yeah, you know nobody gives you anything in this league, that's first things first," Erving said when he arrived last week. "But they wanted me to come in here and compete to play left tackle. That's something I've been striving for and wanting to do for a long time in my career."

That's concerning. I really hope we are not putting eggs in that basket because it's going to make an ugly mess.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I'd probably prefer to sign another veteran backup QB than roll with Teddy. I just can't stomach paying him this massive contract for the paltry return we will likely be getting. I suspect he is about 80% of the way out the door. 

I'd rather roll with a later round QB in the draft than Teddy, TBQH.

Something like this...

11E11A10-8ED9-4C53-BA73-93C7EE1DBA95.thumb.jpeg.9626e8cc41c4c09de74b51cb6e347231.jpeg

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

FOUR CB's?? That's a little excessive, I would say. 

I’m thinking Mukuamu would be multi-position guy-6’4 205

South Carolina used Israel Mukuamu in a variety of ways including as a wide corner, in the slot, as a deep safety, and in the box. While he primarily played as an outside corner, he does have appealing traits that make him a versatile option at the next level that can serve as a matchup neutralizer against tight ends and big slots. For a team that features a slot safety and/or positionless subpackage defenders, Mukuamu is an intriguing option for those roles in addition to playing wide corner in zone coverage. Mukumua is long, athletic, rangy, and physical. He does well to stay leveraged in zone coverage, has good ball skills, and is aggressive driving forward. The concerns with Mukuamu stem from his high-cut frame and the challenges it presents in terms of flipping his hips and cleanly transitioning. In addition, his play dropped off in 2020 after two outstanding seasons, but that was primarily due to injury. Unfortunately, he simply wasn’t playing his best football at the end of his career and some of his allure has faded. With that said, focusing on 2018 and 2019, that tape and his physical traits indicate he can fill a meaningful and valuable role for an NFL secondary if they are willing to tap into his versatility and what he does well. 

Ideal RoleOutside corner that can situationally play in the slot. Has some appeal as a slot safety/positionless sub-package defender. 

Just now, section543 said:

I’m thinking Mukuamu would be multi-position guy-6’4 205

South Carolina used Israel Mukuamu in a variety of ways including as a wide corner, in the slot, as a deep safety, and in the box. While he primarily played as an outside corner, he does have appealing traits that make him a versatile option at the next level that can serve as a matchup neutralizer against tight ends and big slots. For a team that features a slot safety and/or positionless subpackage defenders, Mukuamu is an intriguing option for those roles in addition to playing wide corner in zone coverage. Mukumua is long, athletic, rangy, and physical. He does well to stay leveraged in zone coverage, has good ball skills, and is aggressive driving forward. The concerns with Mukuamu stem from his high-cut frame and the challenges it presents in terms of flipping his hips and cleanly transitioning. In addition, his play dropped off in 2020 after two outstanding seasons, but that was primarily due to injury. Unfortunately, he simply wasn’t playing his best football at the end of his career and some of his allure has faded. With that said, focusing on 2018 and 2019, that tape and his physical traits indicate he can fill a meaningful and valuable role for an NFL secondary if they are willing to tap into his versatility and what he does well. 

Ideal RoleOutside corner that can situationally play in the slot. Has some appeal as a slot safety/positionless sub-package defender. 

Eh....sure. I think we still have some other needs that might make taking that many DB's a little overkill. It just depends on how the board falls, I suppose. 

Big test early for our new GM.

Ok so would you rather 

A. Trade up to 2/3 and gets Fields/Wilson/Lance, but lose our second round pick that could be used for a LT

or

B. Miss out on the top 4 QBs, but walk away with a potential starting LT and a project QB in Mond/Newman/Mills.

Best case is obviously one of the 4 fall to us at 8 or we move up while keeping our 2nd pick, but teams may want that pick for us to move up...

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Cam, Elf, Paradis, Miller, Moton with Scott, Daley, and Little as depth before the draft isn’t terrible....

confused ryan reynolds GIF

Im with you on the right-side, big miller supporter and Moton has been a rock since day one. Paradis played better and I believe Elf is will be C in 2022. 

Now the Left-side...... imo right now its Scott, Daley...... they should win out for week one starters. Need to spend one of the first two picks on LT if the draft allows it. LG needs a savior. Erving and Elf have about 8 to 2 ratio of bad to good reps. Elf gets ragged dolled too much, Vita Vea will end his career if he doesnt live in weight room for now til week one. I did see Elf hurt his thumb and unable to lift, it explains him looking very weak. Erving been just as bad at all 5 spots. Need miracles. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I do expect us to look for a more long term solution at left tackle.

That said, there's no guarantee we find one.

So yes, Erving is a possibility.

If the draftnicks are right and 7 QBs go in the top 10 we definitely have a shot at LT. No doubt the bungals take the best LT though.