• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper

54th man

3 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

We’ll see how many of the ‘Tepper sucks’ crowd is still howling in 2022 when we have lots of money to throw around, a new QB, and our young talent on D is ready to make a run. 

Anyone already throwing shade at Tepper who inherited a QB and cap that were not in ideal form is either ignorant about building a franchise or impatient. I’m thinking/hoping it’s mostly the latter. 

I don't like Tepper because he seems too involved in operations. 

I don't like Tepper because he seems to think change just for the sake of change is good. Kinda like a wife/gf that constantly wants to change the livingroom around.

I don't like the idea of a new stadium. 

I don't like the idea of a domed stadium. 

I don't like the idea of the new facilities in SC.

I could go on and on. He seems like Snyder 2.0 to me.

Wins and losses are not what I judge the owner on.

Jerry might have done some shady stuff. But he was loyal to the fans, players and PSL owners. I can't believe Tepper took seats away from the people who helped build the stadium. The people that have been sitting there since 1996.

The end zone isn't supposed to be the tea and crumpets section.

Lastly Jerry did bring football to Charlotte. Let's never forget that. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I mean he’s investing in new facilities, he’s shown a willingness to move towards the more modern way of thinking in terms of team building etc.

How many years did JR have here? Now how many years had Tepper been here? And when Tepper came we pretty much lost our former MVP QB and a host of elite defenders.

Comparing them at this point is silly. JR had decades. Can we give Tep more than 4 years before we start asking “what has he done to be better than JR?” 

Thanks for the response. Some valid points, but others worth considering. 

He’s invested some in new facilities and taxpayers have also invested.
As for losing our former MVP QB, that was a Tepper call. Same with losing Thomas Davis and James Bradberry. Luke opted to retire. 

Regarding your last question, it’s been three years and we are 17-31. How much time should pass before we render a verdict, then? Another 15 years?

I'm reserving judgment until Tepper has been around longer.  So far I'm not a fan and I think the coaches he hired were a mistake and also keeping Hurney around was a huge mistake.  Rhule and Brady were very high on Bridgewater and that is very concerning to me.  They all talk big and I'm ready to see some results.  

• Pie 1

Cue the internet dude's who think they 

40 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Tepper is not a football guy. He’s pretty clueless at what he’s trying to build. Should’ve fired Hurney last year and we would be in a much better situation now. The two biggest needs we had going into last season were “General Manager” and “Quarterback”. This year, it was the same. Finally got Fitterer. Now, we’re trying to replace a career backup QB who we are paying $20m a year to. 

Newsflash for you. He knows more about it than you or anybody else here.

• Beer 3

8 minutes ago, jtm said:

I'm reserving judgment until Tepper has been around longer.  So far I'm not a fan and I think the coaches he hired were a mistake and also keeping Hurney around was a huge mistake.  Rhule and Brady were very high on Bridgewater and that is very concerning to me.  They all talk big and I'm ready to see some results.  

Agreed with the overall sentiment, though I think Hurney had a bigger hand in the Teddy situation (though Rhule/Brady are not blame-free). I thought the team showed a lot of upside last year and the staff gets the same benefit of learning curve as Tepper did but damn was retaining Rivera and Hurney just a mystery.

11 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Thanks for the response. Some valid points, but others worth considering. 

He’s invested some in new facilities and taxpayers have also invested.
As for losing our former MVP QB, that was a Tepper call. Same with losing Thomas Davis and James Bradberry. Luke opted to retire. 

Regarding your last question, it’s been three years and we are 17-31. How much time should pass before we render a verdict, then? Another 15 years?

Within reasonable expectations, it takes longer than three years to properly rebuild a team. Anyone who thought this process would happen overnight would have been sorely fooling themselves.

Moving on from Cam was inevitable sadly. His body has taken so much punishment and he hadn’t been healthy for a few season. I wish we had let him finish his contract rather than sign Teddy, but speculatively I think that decision had more to do with Joe Brady wanting a QB he was familiar with than anything else.

Luke retired which meant we lost an all time great. TDs career was sadly at its end. Bradberry surely had more to do with Hurney than with Tepper. KK couldn’t stay healthy. We were in a full on rebuild when he got here.

Terrible Oline, no QB, no LBers, no secondary, barely a DL. What was he supposed to do. Technically speaking, everyone thought we would have the worst record on the league last year. So in some sense, judging it on record and expectations, he has been more successful than many suspected this early on. 

19 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I also think that Tepper’s most ardent supporters don’t care about soccer, because if they did, they wouldn’t be his most ardent supporters. A quick look at Charlotte FC speaks volumes as to Tepper’s potential to be another Snyder. I can post facts if the defenders would like.  

I haven't been paying attention to the soccer team. Post some facts for those of us that are curious.

2 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Agreed with the overall sentiment, though I think Hurney had a bigger hand in the Teddy situation (though Rhule/Brady are not blame-free). I thought the team showed a lot of upside last year and the staff gets the same benefit of learning curve as Tepper did but damn was retaining Rivera and Hurney just a mystery.

Dig around and find the articles/quotes from Rhule and Brady on Bridgewater.  They were big time in on him and very concerning to me.

The delayed firings for Rivera and Hurney made zero sense to me.  Everyone knew they were gone and we had a lame duck period that was wasted time.

Just now, jayboogieman said:

I haven't been paying attention to the soccer team. Post some facts for those of us that are curious.

- The cheapest non-General Admission season ticket costs $980 per seat, which is higher than every other MLS franchise and higher than the most expensive options at 17 of the 20 Premier League clubs in Europe.

- The GA/Supporters Section tickets cost $27 per match, also one of the highest in Major League Soccer.

- Tepper engineered the MLS' first-ever PSL campaign, forcing ticket buyers to foot the bill for his expansion fee.

- In addition to the costs listed above, every season ticket purchase includes a $50 fee which is promised to cover the costs to "improve the fan experience" with things like smoke, signage, etc.

- The squad, limited as it is now, does not reflect the prices the fans will pay.

- Lastly, it's worth noting that at a free MLS NEXT match among Charlotte FC and Atlanta United academy teams last October at BOA, roughly 500 fans showed up (it was not a good look for the optics re: demand, far before the exorbitant ticket prices) 

• Pie 2