• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gardner Minshew

FuFuLamePoo

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

Because the FO blew it in FA this year.

I'd be much more excited to watch a team with "Jake Delhomme" (Minshew) than Alex Smith (Bridgewater).  I want to see DJ Moore and Robby Anderson get a chance to go deep and actually use their speed.  Bridgewater got 15 games to show us he could do that and we saw nothing.

Even if we bring in Minshew and he doesn't start, he's still better than PJ Walker and Will Grier.  What if we draft a QB?  Well, what if we do?!?!?  Now your QB room is rookie, Minshew and Bridgewater.

There is literally NO DOWNSIDE to bringing him in for the right price.  None!

Thank you and I couldn’t agree more. 

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Because the FO blew it in FA this year.

I'd be much more excited to watch a team with "Jake Delhomme" (Minshew) than Alex Smith (Bridgewater).  I want to see DJ Moore and Robby Anderson get a chance to go deep and actually use their speed.  Bridgewater got 15 games to show us he could do that and we saw nothing.

Even if we bring in Minshew and he doesn't start, he's still better than PJ Walker and Will Grier.  What if we draft a QB?  Well, what if we do?!?!?  Now your QB room is rookie, Minshew and Bridgewater.

There is literally NO DOWNSIDE to bringing him in for the right price.  None!

This guy is right. Everyone wants to sell the farm for a big name. Lawrence will be the only QB in the draft class with a starting job in 5 years. The QBs are always overhyped every draft. 

2 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

This guy is right. Everyone wants to sell the farm for a big name. Lawrence will be the only QB in the draft class with a starting job in 5 years. The QBs are always overhyped every draft. 

I’ll be you any amount of money at least one of Wilson, Jones, Fields or Lance is starting in five years

I think the question is “is the front office even interested in him?”

I think he has potential. He had a great year in college before going pro. He could be one of those guys who is good but just gets over looked. I would rather have him then give up lots of draft picks for an unproven QB. If Minshew fails we still will have plenty of draft picks to build upon. I think at worst Minshew is an average QB. He has lots of potential to be a top 10 QB. I mean in his first two years he’s had QB ratings over 90 and doesn’t seem to turn the ball over a lot.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I’ll be you any amount of money at least one of Wilson, Jones, Fields or Lance is starting in five years

You sure because if I go back 5 years ago the QBs were:

Winston, Mariota, Grayson, Mannion, and Petty. None of which are starting. 

10 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

I think there's a decent chance that five years from now Lawrence isn't the best QB out of this draft class.

• Beer 2

On 3/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, Varking said:

I’d be ok trading for him *if* we can’t get a QB at 8 in this draft. 

We can reasonably guess that #1, 2 and 3 will all be QB. Even with their offseason moves, I could still see ATL, Detroit or Miami picking the 4th best QB. Or, more likely trading back to a QB needy team. (side note: I'd definitely consider trading up to #6 if Lance or Fields is still available. I don't think the lions are set on Goff for 2021) So, that means that Jones is most likely our best shot, in the draft, at #8. And he may be gone, who knows. I'm likely drafting Sewell or Slater in this scenario, and either trying for Minshew or rolling with Teddy. Sorry for the rambling post, I've been off grid for several days and am still trying to wrap my head around WTF is happening.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

We can reasonably guess that #1, 2 and 3 will all be QB. Even with their offseason moves, I could still see ATL, Detroit or Miami picking the 4th best QB. Or, more likely trading back to a QB needy team. (side note: I'd definitely consider trading up to #6 if Lance or Fields is still available. I don't think the lions are set on Goff for 2021) So, that means that Jones is most likely our best shot, in the draft, at #8. And he may be gone, who knows. I'm likely drafting Sewell or Slater in this scenario, and either trying for Minshew or rolling with Teddy. Sorry for the rambling post, I've been off grid for several days and am still trying to wrap my head around WTF is happening.

Your post was fine and makes sense. I would love Sewell or Slater at 8. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

He the perfect stopgap if Tepper is holding out for Watson.  10x better than Teddy, "I can't throw the deep ball" Bridgewater. We bring Minshew in and he performs well maybe we could actual trade him for a higher pick than what we got him for.

There is absolutely zero reason why we shouldn't consider him.  I personally think he would flourish in our offense.  He'll have the greatest weapon in the backfield that can run great routes too.  

If we could get him for a 3rd or 4th I would jump like a wildcat on it.

We are going to upgrade our team in the draft, there's no doubt about it.  Along with the free agents we have this team is going to win more than 5 games next year.  So we'll further down the draft list and Howell will be out of our range.  

I still believe we will end up with Watson as soon as his BS charges are cleared up.  

• Beer 1

People really need to let this "maybe we're still holding out for Watson" thing go.

For one, Verge has already said that ship is "over the horizon".

For another, we're now up to 19 lawsuits with at least one more coming, plenty of disturbing charges contained in every one, and no easy path out of this other than settling (which, you know, means admitting that yeah you did something)

Even if he does eventually get cleared (which at this point is starting to seem borderline miraculous) that's going to be a long long time.

Do you really want our leadership to sit around waiting for a year or so on something that might not (and likely won't) happen before we try fixing a major problem?

That's insane.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

People really need to let this "maybe we're still holding out for Watson" thing go.

For another, we're now up to 19 lawsuits with at least one more coming, plenty of disturbing charges contained in every one, and no easy path out of this other than settling (which, you know, means admitting that yeah you did something)

Even if he does eventually get cleared (which at this point is starting to seem borderline miraculous) that's going to be a long long time.

Do you really want our leadership to sit around waiting for a year or so on something that might not (and likely won't) happen before we try fixing a major problem?

That's insane.

100%. There’s also no telling how long it will last or what the NFL will do. Time to move on. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's insane.

It's not that I'd want our leadership to sit around and wait a year on something that might not happen. It's more that right now, our options aren't looking great. The top QBs in the draft are likely going to be gone before we pick, and the FAs and retreads aren't exactly exciting either.

We could have just as good or a better record next year and again be on the outside looking in at the best draftable QBs. 

What I'm saying is that in a year, Watson might have served his time on the Commissioner's List or whatever, and he'd still only 26 years old, probably with a year a minimal wear and tear on his body. He's still be really good at playing football. Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Antionio Brown are all still in the league. Two of those guys have rings. I would think the Panthers would take another run at Watson next offseason.