• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Davos' Offseason, Mock-8 & Projections

davos

Here's a wild idea.  Following the script of the OP.  Instead of Minshew (whom I would have no issue signing or trading for) trade for Darnold.  Darnold is on his last year of his rookie deal so it wouldn't cost us too much cap wise.  Let him start 2022 while Lance learns the ropes. 

If Darnold plays well and goes into free agency we probably get a compensatory pick in 2022 or 2023.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

They’re not trading up a spot for Lance. In this scenario they’d have either Lance, Sewell or Slater to choose from at 8

I go back and forth on this. Just not sure what rhule and brady think of him. If they think he is an eventual playoff caliber qb, theyd be nuts to let that small of a move pass them by. 

Now if denver drives the price up, then they may pass. But id see them giving up a 3rd plus number 8 to move up. 

Doubt they'll let themselves get ransomed though. 

It’s pointless to cut TB, trade for Minshew, and draft a first round QB. No sense in giving up draft capital for a QB that you intend on being a one-year bride guy. Might as well roll with Teddy for another year. I like trading for Minshew, but really no reason to cut Teddy or draft Lance if that happens. There’s no sense in making a trade for Minshew if you aren’t going to give him a season to prove if he can be “the guy.” I get that it would save cap space this year, but so what? What big fish is Carolina going to spend money on now? And at that point you’ve given Jacksonville a 3rd or 4th round pick.

The right move in your scenario is drafting Sewell at 8 or auctioning the pick to the highest bidder for Sewell. 

5 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

I’d rather Sewell at 8 and roll with Minshew 

I agree with that, in fact, in this scenario, Option A) Detroit trades to denver or NE who take Lance leaving us with Sewell, Option B) Detroit stands pat and take Sewell and we get Lance at 8 without giving up any draft capital.  IMO, this would be the play, and I say that as someone who has been all in on trey lance all offseason.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, top dawg said:

People keep thinking that the Jags aren't trading Minshew, but they need and want draft capital. It really only makes sense that the only reason that they would trade for C.J. Beathard on a two-year, 5 million dollar deal is if they were planning to trade Minshew (who would actually be cheaper). I'm pretty sure they are done with Minshew.

What draft capital can they get? A 4th round pick at best. They have Minshew on a super cheap deal why not keep him? Is he a locker room cancer or something.

1 hour ago, Smittymoose said:

It’s pointless to cut TB, trade for Minshew, and draft a first round QB. No sense in giving up draft capital for a QB that you intend on being a one-year bride guy. Might as well roll with Teddy for another year. I like trading for Minshew, but really no reason to cut Teddy or draft Lance if that happens. There’s no sense in making a trade for Minshew if you aren’t going to give him a season to prove if he can be “the guy.” I get that it would save cap space this year, but so what? What big fish is Carolina going to spend money on now? And at that point you’ve given Jacksonville a 3rd or 4th round pick.

The right move in your scenario is drafting Sewell at 8 or auctioning the pick to the highest bidder for Sewell. 

For me, if Trey Lance is available/in reach, you take him.  The Minshew thing basically gives us a starter for 2022 and if he looks good, then we have tremendous value at the QB position which is preferable.  I'd rather gamble two fold this year if we can.  Their contracts combined make up for the difference in dead cap for teddy v. relief so it offsets. 

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Here's a wild idea.  Following the script of the OP.  Instead of Minshew (whom I would have no issue signing or trading for) trade for Darnold.  Darnold is on his last year of his rookie deal so it wouldn't cost us too much cap wise.  Let him start 2022 while Lance learns the ropes. 

If Darnold plays well and goes into free agency we probably get a compensatory pick in 2022 or 2023.

I just think Darnold is downright bad.  Sure, the NYJ weren't putting him in an ideal spot but you should still expect him to do more and flash a bit.  He's looked bad.  Like Nate Sudfeld bad.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, davos said:

I just think Darnold is downright bad.  Sure, the NYJ weren't putting him in an ideal spot but you should still expect him to do more and flash a bit.  He's looked bad.  Like Nate Sudfeld bad.

Totally agree here. Minshew played well plenty of times on a horrible team. Darnold did not.

I just think the price for Minshew will be surprisingly higher than people believe. He's cheap contract wise and has promise. If we know it, so do NFL GMs.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Madwolf said:

I like it all except for cutting Teddy and trading for Minshew. You're piling another CAP hit onto the team in Minshew to be a bridge QB.

Agreed there is 0 reason to trade for a QB, Teddy's contract has significantly less dead money after this season, and that is the perfect segway to a future starter at the QB position, this season or next. 

I personally am on the fence regarding Mac over Fields or Lance to SF at #3. Considering Shanahan has worked with RGIII (Athlete) and Ryan (Traditional) I can't commit to a QB selection, I just don't think anyone knows. When you think about how much the (SF) runs the ball, having a run threat at QB that can deliver just takes the offense up a tic, so I'm inclined to believe Fields or Lance heads out West. 

I could see ATL passing on a QB considering the financial ramifications of the Ryan re-structure. They essentially locked themselves in for two more years. He's a dead money hit of $65M 21' / 40.5M 22' / 15.6M 23'. Sitting a first round QB a season is one thing, but two years...that's a long time to wait for the investment. I could see them trading back, or selecting Pitts. Pitts with Jones, and Ridley take that passing attack with Ryan and a solid OL to a different level. And when Jones and Ryan are gone you still have two elite offensive weapons for the next QB. 

I do think we will need to trade up, but I believe it will have to be to #5, I do think Lance or Fields will still be there unless someone jumps to #4, and Mac Jones is not the pick at #3. There's a lot to unpack with this draft and just under a month before it all comes to head. 

The Minshew love on this board is also blowing my mind, do ya'll not remember us beating JAX in 2019. Minshew was not, and is not impressive, I had a similar run to what Kyle Allen did that year and quickly fizzled out, and has now landed JAX the #1 pick and you guys want to trade away draft capitol to get him when we LITERALLY have a bridge QB already on the roster with a similar skill set to Minshew. 

I just do not get it with this infatuation for JAG. He will be cut before a team trades for him outside of a conditional 6th / 7th. And most teams are smart enough to know he's on the way out, so it's better to wait to sign him as a FA ''if'' a team has interest.