• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: CB AJ Bouye close to deal with Panthers

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

It was actually 4 years ago. To put it in perspective, Short and Turner had 3 pro bowls after Bouye’s pro bowl. The pro bowl is basically meaningless to us 4 years later. We needed CB depth so as long as it was a cheap deal there’s no issues.

Bradberry had zero Pro Bowls but was a Pro Bowl caliber DB.  Just because he didn't make the squad doesn't mean he didn't have a good year.

Denver may not have used him to his strength.  They were just as bad as we were. 

I think the addition of Bouye is going to be great.  Granted it won't be until game three. 

I also believe Pride will be better too.  We'll have a real offseason this year and with his experience from last year Pride our CB group is starting to look promising. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

How are people counting on this guy? Because of how great he was in 2017? He really was. But he played in less than 50% of the games last year and not all of that was due to getting busted for PEDs. He has also been in decline the last 3 years.

If it is real cheap it's a solid long shot type of pickup, hardly a building block we can rely on at this point tho. Geez, context. The 2nd year guys are above this guy as is right now. I'm not even sure if he can beat those guys out this year to make the 53. Again, good longshot but hardly a great player anymore or someone we can rely or should at this point.  

19 minutes ago, Waldo said:

How are people counting on this guy? Because of how great he was in 2017? He really was. But he played in less than 50% of the games last year and not all of that was due to getting busted for PEDs. He has also been in decline the last 3 years.

If it is real cheap it's a solid long shot type of pickup, hardly a building block we can rely on at this point tho. Geez, context. The 2nd year guys are above this guy as is right now. I'm not even sure if he can beat those guys out this year to make the 53. Again, good longshot but hardly a great player anymore or someone we can rely or should at this point.  

If he was signed cheap enough we may just be throwing a few turds at the wall to see what sticks.

• Beer 1
7 hours ago, saX man said:

Do not underestimate our enthusiasm in Troy Pride as an outside corner.

Bouye is patchwork but startable.

Did you watch the same games as me?  Pride was lost. TBH I didn't see anything that showed promise of a starting corner. 

This is all about taking value in the draft.  CB was the last glaring hole heading into the draft.  I had been drafting two corners in the majority of my mocks.  Now we don't have to reach for any needs.

• Pie 2
3 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

If he was signed cheap enough we may just be throwing a few turds at the wall to see what sticks.

That's it. See if he has any juice left.

• Beer 1
1 hour ago, gofightwin said:

Did you watch the same games as me?  Pride was lost. TBH I didn't see anything that showed promise of a starting corner. 

Strongly disagree. Pride looked really solid at times and had a decent mid-season stretch. Thomas-Oliver looked quite bad and there were a few notable games where the announcers kept mixing the two up. 

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Bradberry had zero Pro Bowls but was a Pro Bowl caliber DB.  Just because he didn't make the squad doesn't mean he didn't have a good year.

Denver may not have used him to his strength.  They were just as bad as we were. 

I think the addition of Bouye is going to be great.  Granted it won't be until game three. 

I also believe Pride will be better too.  We'll have a real offseason this year and with his experience from last year Pride our CB group is starting to look promising. 

That is a nice hope and if we signed him for vet min so he could prove that he's still got it and maybe get a long term deal (not from us I hope because at 31 that would be too much of a risk) and get us a comp pick, I'm all for it.

Also, Bouye the past three years has been average to bad. This wasn't him not getting a pro-bowl nod. In fact, based on Turner and Short continuing to get pro-bowls well after their real good seasons you'd think that Bouye might have gotten the nod in 2018 just because he was so good in 2017.

If we paid him Apple money or more, we overpaid. He didn't get a contract in two places he visited before us, so we should have gotten a deal. If we did, I'm OK with it because it can't hurt.

ETA: As you can see in this and the other thread, to many in here he's a name and they don't realize that he's declined a lot. The fact that someone mentioned a pro-bowl from 2017 and every highlight and stat shown is from 2017 shows you that people thinking it's a great signing and automatically solidifying the CB spot are just doing it based on the name recognition and not on recent play. Hopefully, like Darnold, Erving and Elflein, he can resurrect his career, but damn we are starting to pile up a bunch of "potential" with really mediocre results the past couple years.

Edited by stbugs
  • Pie 1