• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Sam Darnold a 1-Year Rental?

SizzleBuzz

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Because if he plays well he is a free agent and we probably would have to franchise him.  A la moton.  Then once we franchise he is going to want a market deal which is going to be substantial once the cap moves up.  Picking up the option only puts us on the hook for 18ish for the last year.  So that gives us two years to figure things out.  Gives us breathing room per se.

What if he shows improvement but still not there yet.  Say 8 wins and improves on all his career numbers.  With no 5th year option he is going to want a 5 year deal or just play on the franchise tag.  We cannot invest 5 years on one average/above avg year.  The 5th option gives us an additional year on a "cheap" deal to evaluate

Ok, I can sort of see this middle ground. 

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Because if he plays well he is a free agent and we probably would have to franchise him.  A la moton.  Then once we franchise he is going to want a market deal which is going to be substantial once the cap moves up.  Picking up the option only puts us on the hook for 18ish for the last year.  So that gives us two years to figure things out.  Gives us breathing room per se.

What if he shows improvement but still not there yet.  Say 8 wins and improves on all his career numbers.  With no 5th year option he is going to want a 5 year deal or just play on the franchise tag.  We cannot invest 5 years on one average/above avg year.  The 5th option gives us an additional year on a "cheap" deal to evaluate

I guess I understand this, but I think he's going to have the chance next year to show if he's a franchise QB or not. If he explodes just go ahead and extend him for the future, I just don't think he has much time for incremental growth. This is going to be his fourth year in the league. I think this year we're going to know if he can be the guy or not.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I guess I understand this, but I think he's going to have the chance next year to show if he's a franchise QB or not. If he explodes just go ahead and extend him for the future, I just don't think he has much time for incremental growth. This is going to be his fourth year in the league. I think this year we're going to know if he can be the guy or not.

I agree 100%.  If he looks the part get a deal done.  There should be goodwill from both camps as to not do something like Dak and wanting the moon.  One good season where everything clicks for both sides should make it easy to do a semi team friendly 5 year ext.   I think the threshold for such a deal would be making the playoffs.  And damn who knows what happens if he actually wins a game.

While I know it’s still possible we draft a QB.  And a Lot of speculation is that this is the reason why we haven’t picked it up yet. 

Think this has to do more with Teddy imo.   Honestly think they won’t pick it up until they move Teddy and clear up some $$.  Thus why it hasn’t been picked up.  I bet we cut Teddy after the draft if we can’t move him then pick up the 5th year on Darnold.

heck people are so focused on Darnold’s 5th year.  We haven’t even picked up DJ Moore’s 5th year yet either.    This Has to do more with $ and Teddy’s contract than us just potentially drafting a QB.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, ncfan said:

While I know it’s still possible we draft a QB.  And a Lot of speculation is that this is the reason why we haven’t picked it up yet. 

Think this has to do more with Teddy imo.   Honestly think they won’t pick it up until they move Teddy and clear up some $$.  Thus why it hasn’t been picked up.  I bet we cut Teddy after the draft if we can’t move him then pick up the 5th year on Darnold.

heck people are so focused on Darnold’s 5th year.  We haven’t even picked up DJ Moore’s 5th year yet either.    This Has to do more with $ and Teddy’s contract than us just potentially drafting a QB.

Darnolds 5th has no bearing on Teddys contract.  And there is not a chance in hades we simply cut him. 

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

They are taking liberty of Fitterer's statement  IMO.  Fitt said that there is a plan in place and they would deal with both 5th year options after the draft. I did not take that to me Darnold is on such shaky ground.

You’re right LP. It’s the New York Post...the closest thing to sensational level tabloid news there is. Doesn’t carry much weight.

Fit did indicate that the team was committed to picking up the 5th year option. He phrased it that way on purpose, then he added another layer to the smokescreen by pointing out he team had not addressed DJ Moore's 5th year option either. I don't think its certain they pick up the option, but I do think its probable, especially if the team does not get Fields at #8. After the draft they will pick up DJ's option and probably Sam's. 

Like an earlier post explained, the team has nothing to gain by "showing their hand." I think that most of the moves they have made have led towards having more options to choose from during the draft, which, beyond picks 1 and 2 is very unpredictable. Fit wants to have multiple options depending on who is actually on the board at #8. Sam and the ? of his 5th year option is part of that plan that is in place.

Read in another article they were holding off in the event they could use Darnold as trade bait during draft...interesting..perhaps keeping all options open!  Obviously a lot of speculation...

Would be wicked crazy if they traded for Darnold to just turn him and trade him during draft.

Edited by ncstatekwi
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

I don't think a QB after Wilson & Lawrence warranted us to aggressively trade up therefore, we targeted guys like Stafford, Watson, and eventually Darnold.

Doesn't mean we don't take on if he falls to us at #8. 

If we don't land one, I think we exersize the option.  This Thursday gon' be funnnn

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, ncstatekwi said:

Read in another article they were holding off in the event they could use Darnold as trade bait during draft...interesting..perhaps keeping all options open!  Obviously a lot of speculation...

Would be wicked crazy if they traded for Darnold to just turn him and trade him during draft.

That's not the plan. That was dumbass speculation from Florio (which even he admitted).

It's not gonna happen. The team is not that stupid.

• Pie 1