Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Why Jaycee Horn over Patrick Surtain II


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Surtain is supposedly the best technically in some time but he isn't the raw athlete Horn is nor seems to have the same disposition. 

Definitely a higher theoretical ceiling, it just becomes a matter of him being able to reach it. 

I would caution that we probably shouldn't expect a lot next season. Even if he is just flat bad, he deserves at least 3 seasons to get up to speed. Not all of these "elite" CB prospects come out of the gate as All Pro caliber guys. 

 

Why? Just, why? You just had to go to worse case scenario didn't you. You just can't help yourself can you? lol

 

Horn defiantly has the talent to come out of TC as our #1CB. (He is smart, coachable, and a great teammate. He is going to bust his butt to prove himself.) Will he? I sure as shootin hope so. It may take longer than that, but no way is it going to take him 3 years. He is just too talented.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

I think J Horn is a first rounder, but pretty much every nfl analyst has Surtain as a better NFL ready cornerback. One of the reasons was Horn's maul the receiver after 5 yards tendencies. He won't get away with that in the NFL. Those down field pass interference penalties are game changers. 

Any thoughts?

He mauls and grabs well after 5 yards as well. The tall WRs of the NFCS are just the type of receivers Horn had to grab in college. Even so we're much better off with Horn than the CBs we had last season after idiotically letting Bradberry leave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our GM is from Seattle and influenced by the success they had.   So he drafted a DB that most resembled that. 

I question if the Legion of Boom was formed today...if refs would allow them to get away with everything they did.   It will be interesting to see how far Horn will be allowed to push the limits.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Horn had to go against some of the best WR in the nation and some of the best WR in the NFL. He does use his hands alot but he can jam well. Saying that,  I think our dline will cause alot of pressure so jamming the receivers gives additional time for the line. Also I think,  he can dial back a bit and be less handsy and still be a great corner. But you can't teach that physicality

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I would caution that we probably shouldn't expect a lot next season. Even if he is just flat bad, he deserves at least 3 seasons to get up to speed. Not all of these "elite" CB prospects come out of the gate as All Pro caliber guys. 

CB is one of the tougher positions to make the transition from college to the NFL.  The average NFL WR is better than most of the best they saw in college.  They consistently run better routes, are faster, and the ball gets to them at the most opportune time.  In college, that would happen once in a great while. 

Usually, the ones who make an immediate impact are faster than lightning.   Deion Sanders was generally awful technically.  He couldn't tackle an got out-muscled by physical receivers.  What he could do is read the play and close on the ball.  Speed makes up for a lot of evils in that position.

 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Surtain is supposedly the best technically in some time but he isn't the raw athlete Horn is nor seems to have the same disposition. 

Definitely a higher theoretical ceiling, it just becomes a matter of him being able to reach it. 

I would caution that we probably shouldn't expect a lot next season. Even if he is just flat bad, he deserves at least 3 seasons to get up to speed. Not all of these "elite" CB prospects come out of the gate as All Pro caliber guys. 

I’m expecting an Okudah like year. Beat a lot, considered a bust, but shows flashes. 

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigdog10 said:

I’m expecting an Okudah like year. Beat a lot, considered a bust, but shows flashes. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Horn lead the NFL in PI flags, given his reputation. This will be a tough division to come in as a starting #1 CB as a rookie. I expect him to take a ton of lumps. 

Like I said, let's not eat him alive if that happens and start calling him a bust. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...