• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How athletic IS Deonte Brown? aka Corn Bread/Big Bread

I'm not going to throw weight goals out ad I'm not a trainer or doctor and have never met him. However it's encouraging he dropped weight. Players typically lose weight throughout the season too. I trust the professionals will make a goal for him.

• Pie 1

I mean he's down 70 pounds from his heaviest weight already, 20 of which he dropped in two recent months, all before he even got to us. You can see the discipline and determination whenever he talks about it. I'm not worried about his weight control at all.

That basketball clip got me HYPED though. He looked spry at 400. Sky's the limit now. 

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

This isn't college basketball where players go to school for one year and play basketball.  He, I assume, graduated which means he had to attend class.  I'm not 100% sure of this but aren't college players limited in the time they can practice and workout while in college.

He'll have far more time to workout in the NFL. 

I don't know if many of you remember the 80's but during my time at ECU there was an article about weight training rooms across the country.  ECU was behind only Oklahoma and Penn St (as I recall) in quality of Weight Rooms.   ECU had one of the best in the country back then.  I'm sure now that has changed. 

Sorry, I think you missed the part where he went to Alabama. 

• Pie 2

From the article at Panthers.com:

While rookie minicamp is mostly an introduction, what Brown showed the Panthers in the pre-draft process is that he's a large and strong man, whose mass makes him a different kind of player than many of their existing options.

Keeping that mass at a manageable level has always been one of the questions with Brown, who vowed on draft weekend it wouldn't be a problem.

The 6-3 1/4 Brown weighed in at the Senior Bowl in January at 364 pounds. He said his initial weigh-in here Thursday was at 347. 

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said he wants to keep a realistic goal about Brown's target weight, knowing that his frame is not conducive to being too lean.

"I don't think he's ever going to be a 310-pound guy," Rhule said. "That's just not who he is. He's a big, powerful man. . . .

"I would love it if he was in the, ... most guys wish he'd be in the 330s, but he might be a 340-pound guy."

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 3

While here, Brown will work closely with Kate Callaway, the team's director of performance nutrition. Rhule called Callaway "one of the stars of this place," and she's already been in contact with her counterparts with Alabama to come up with a plan for Brown.

"I know Kate will do what it takes to help him," Rhule said. "She's really special."

Rhule said the team would also lean on the sports science department to put all the players who arrived this weekend through a series of body mass and movement and strength tests to help determine an ideal weight. 

After they make that calculation, the hope is they can tap into Brown's natural power to help stabilize a line that has needed an overhaul after last season. What they don't know yet is how all the parts fit together. Brown played left guard at Alabama last year, starting all 13 games and earning All-SEC honors.

"I believe I have the athletic ability to be able to (compete for a starting job)," Brown said. "I believe I can play anywhere, it's just about opportunity."

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, pantherj said:

Think what this monster will turn into with NFL level weight lifting

I see this mentioned about rookies a lot, but does it hold any water ? Is NFL really that far ahead, that college programs can't compete in that regard ? I mean, you have weights available in college too. Or are there any weight lifting restrictions in NCAA ?

Or is it generally meant that in the NFL, you are expected to lift more and the floor is higher when it comes to weights ?