Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

The evolution to being a perennial winner.


Recommended Posts

The only real annoyance I have with Tepper so far is that he sat back that first year.

If I'd just spent $2bn on a football team I'd be coming in with a new team and ideas. I wouldn't be assessing what was already going on - we knew what was already going on wasn't working. Especially considering I was a minor owner of the Steelers for years so I had first hand knowledge of how things should be run.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tips to prepare for a winning season and building a successful football program
 
Create a culture of open communication and constructive feedback. ...
 
Establish a belief system and buy-in. ...
 
Empower your players. ...
 
Build Team Chemistry. ...
 
Create Excitement and Motivation.
 
You Want to Improve Your Skills. ...
 
Coaches Should Understand and Motivate Players. ...
 
Coaches Should Be Tough But Fair. ...
 
Coaches Should Teach Life Skills Along With Sports Skills. ...
 
Coaches Should Make It a Team Effort. ...
 
Bad Coaches Focus on Only a Few Players. ...
 
Coaches Shouldn't Yell or Put Players Down.
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I agree you build up the team, have a plan and a culture but notice that the teams you mentioned who have sustained success have franchise qbs.  We desperately need one. They passed on fields and took Jaycee.  time will tell if that was correct move. But overall I agree about not rushing and building the right way, not reaching and being methodical so I’m not upset or anything. I like the direction we’re heading overall.

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

The only real annoyance I have with Tepper so far is that he sat back that first year.

If I'd just spent $2bn on a football team I'd be coming in with a new team and ideas. I wouldn't be assessing what was already going on - we knew what was already going on wasn't working. Especially considering I was a minor owner of the Steelers for years so I had first hand knowledge of how things should be run.

How does he know the FO people or the business side of stadium ops did good things right? He doesn't know if they're good people or not. Some parts of the operation needed to be fixed, he evaluated and then started making moves. 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Not many franchises get razed to the foundation quite like ours, especially in terms of the roster. 

I hope it works out. It has to. The alternative is pretty scary for we the fans.

It's less scary than being led into the future by Hurney or Nipplrshorts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's less scary than being led into the future by Hurney or Nipplrshorts. 

I don't know about that. The alternative I am talking about is this rebuild not working out for us. That alternative is vintage Bengals, Browns, etc. That is genuinely scary. 

I don't THINK we are trending that way, but remember that all those fans had hoped every offseason too. It's possible/likely we are gonna be looking at a fourth straight season without a winning record. That would be the second longest losing streak in franchise history. It would also result in only 7 of 28 seasons of existence without a winning record. I guess the question is, if we extend to much further down that road, how AREN'T we the Browns/Bengals/etc?

That is why I was very nervous about this process from moment one. There is just as much upside as downside to what we decided to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

The only real annoyance I have with Tepper so far is that he sat back that first year.

If I'd just spent $2bn on a football team I'd be coming in with a new team and ideas. I wouldn't be assessing what was already going on - we knew what was already going on wasn't working. Especially considering I was a minor owner of the Steelers for years so I had first hand knowledge of how things should be run.

 After Tepper spent that kind of money on the team he should sit back and see how things go and make the tweaks and adjustments needed to make us better during the first season as owner. 

Edited by PantherOnTheProwl1523
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only real gripe is that he prides himself on being an analytics/data guy and yet left Rivera and Hurney in place for 2019 even with 20+ years of data between them showing what they were. Beyond that though IMO he gets the benefit of the doubt and seems to be making smart decisions on the whole. With this being year 4 and the second year of his regime really being in full swing time I think a lot will be learned in 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

My only real gripe is that he prides himself on being an analytics/data guy and yet left Rivera and Hurney in place for 2019 even with 20+ years of data between them showing what they were. Beyond that though IMO he gets the benefit of the doubt and seems to be making smart decisions on the whole. With this being year 4 and the second year of his regime really being in full swing time I think a lot will be learned in 2021.

In his defense on retaining Rivera and Hurney, he probably had some questions about how much of the buffoonery was them vs. his predecessor as an owner.  Rivera is not nearly the chameleon Hurney is, so it became obvious what he ceiling was fairly quickly. 

I'm sure Hurney could say "yessir, you sure are a genius sir.  I've always thought the same thing.....did you want sugar in that, sir?" with the best of them, although one would think Tepper has seen that out of people before.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I agree you build up the team, have a plan and a culture but notice that the teams you mentioned who have sustained success have franchise qbs.  We desperately need one. They passed on fields and took Jaycee.  time will tell if that was correct move. But overall I agree about not rushing and building the right way, not reaching and being methodical so I’m not upset or anything. I like the direction we’re heading overall.

Even with all the question marks around Field you are implying he is a franchise QB.

I think that is stretching it a bit.  He might turn out to be a Franchise QB but he may also be an average QB as well.  

I like Darnold's chance of being a franchise QB more than I believe Fields will be one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...