• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grier thoughts on Darnold (conversation from other thread)

TheCasillas

2 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I respect that but Will is a professional QB in his prime years, on a team desperately looking for one, and has been in the pole position to take the starting job ever since he was brought here. He seems like a cool guy but if that quote is accurate bro doesn't even see himself as the starter of the Panthers and that's kinda sad.

He wasnt saying it as a lack of confidence, he was stating that the transition is really tough. He knows with the team bringing in SD that there is much room on the roster for many qbs.

33 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Yeah, I was mostly just focused on the first paragraph where he said he knows this could be it for him.  At least he’s self aware. 

Everything said about Sam so far has been good.  I’m sure the team is happy to have him after so many frustrating losses where it seemed hopeless for a comeback win.  I think with actual coaching Sam can be pretty good.  His attitude’s definitely in the right place.  Gase was his QB coach, OC, and HC last year.  Yikes.  

Talk about the TRIPLE-Whammy.  🤮

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

33 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Darnold will be a better QB this season.  The question that we all have and one that will only be answered at seasoned end is this, how much better?  

In the end his success or failure looks to be all on him.  I'm looking forward to seeing if he's got it in him to silence to doubters myself.  Either way it cannot be as madding as watching Teddy sh*t the bed in crunch time.

All he has to do is throw ONE.....

...*ONE*...pass for 10 yards or more and he'll be better than Teddy.    lol

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Why would anyone poo this post?

Because he said something positive about Sam Darnold and the "Waah! Waah!  I wanted Fields!!  Waaah!" crowd didn't like that. 🙄

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 3
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

He wasnt saying it as a lack of confidence, he was stating that the transition is really tough. He knows with the team bringing in SD that there is much room on the roster for many qbs.

and Grier doesn't have wheels.  Which I think really helps young QBs who are struggling w/ game speed.  

14 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I doubt we carry 3 qbs again on the roster.  Seems like overkill

I dunno, our QB room is straight up trash man once you get past Darnold.  And he's about one season from being thrown in that same pile.  I think you carry three just in case SD gets hurt.  Maybe one is Tommy Stevens and maybe he can play a role on ST to help you out.  Either way, I think either PJ or WG is gone this year and past SD, not sure ANYTHING is a guarantee.

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I dunno, our QB room is straight up trash man once you get past Darnold.  And he's about one season from being thrown in that same pile.  I think you carry three just in case SD gets hurt.  Maybe one is Tommy Stevens and maybe he can play a role on ST to help you out.  Either way, I think either PJ or WG is gone this year and past SD, not sure ANYTHING is a guarantee.

At this point nothing would surprise me, including the Panthers bringing in a vet to back SD up.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That is basically a lot of the 6th rounders to UDFA's. That is why I always chuckle when the Huddle gets so excitable about those guys. The odds of them hitting and being long term NFL starters are pretty long. 

Sometimes there is just a level above you and it can't be bridged by any amount of hard work.

The best way I've seen it put is that it's the previous four - five generations of all-stars.

So you thought you were hot poo in College, and maybe you were, but the NFL is the best players from the last four - five College recruiting cycles (a recruiting cycle being three years). It's brutal.  

There's no shame in not being good enough to hang. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The best way I've seen it put is that it's the previous four - five generations of all-stars.

So you thought you were hot poo in College, and maybe you were, but the NFL is the best players from the last four - five College recruiting cycles (a recruiting cycle being three years). It's brutal.  

There's no shame in not being good enough to hang. 

Yep. Ultimately you are still in a small, select group of athletes.

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I doubt we carry 3 qbs again on the roster.  Seems like overkill

I think Grier could definitely lose the QB3 spot to Tommy Stevens...  I think we will keep 3 QB's, but Stevens will be the guy b/c he does other stuff

But it's certainly possibly Stevens is TE3 with Ian Thomas being the odd man out and the Panthers only keeping Sam and PJ as the QB's.

53 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Someone tell me how Grier was a 3rd rounder? I know there were plenty of Panthers  fans that wanted him even in the 2nd round. 

Grier was really good in college, and many pundits thought he was a steal in the 3rd round, and some guys thought he was better than Daniel Jones who was taken top 10...

I watch a lot WVU football and I think he is being completely honest... Grier was awesome in the wide-open spread offense of the BIG 12 where he was usually only making 1 read... like he said, the game is much faster at the pro level, and defenses are much quicker and better at disguising coverage... Grier has the physical skills to be a NFL QB

Hurney made plenty of mistakes, including Grier IMO given our other needs, but he certainly wasn't alone in thinking Grier was a good value with upside where he was picked.  I think Grier will have solid preseason, but as long as Brady and Rhule have their obsession with Tommy Stevens, I don't see a path for him being on the 53 man roster... maybe we can trade him for a conditional 7th or something to a team looking for a 3rd QB near roster cuts.

31 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Grier was really good in college, and many pundits thought he was a steal in the 3rd round, and some guys thought he was better than Daniel Jones who was taken top 10...

I watch a lot WVU football and I think he is being completely honest... Grier was awesome in the wide-open spread offense of the BIG 12 where he was usually only making 1 read... like he said, the game is much faster at the pro level, and defenses are much quicker and better at disguising coverage... Grier has the physical skills to be a NFL QB

Hurney made plenty of mistakes, including Grier IMO given our other needs, but he certainly wasn't alone in thinking Grier was a good value with upside where he was picked.  I think Grier will have solid preseason, but as long as Brady and Rhule have their obsession with Tommy Stevens, I don't see a path for him being on the 53 man roster... maybe we can trade him for a conditional 7th or something to a team looking for a 3rd QB near roster cuts.

Nobody thought he was a steal in the 3rd.  He floats his passes and doesnt go through his progressions.  The spread offense masked his limits and inflated his numbers.  He is not good