• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What will a week 1 loss to the Jets do to Darnold?

CanadianCat

Im pretty high on Darnold but it seems like the 'rebuild' of Sam is getting his confidence back. I would expect we beat the Jets but am concerned that if Sam plays the Jets (even though they are a different team now) and loses that it might set him back even further. 

What do you think? If we happen to lose to the Jets will that impact Darnold or will that have no effect?

11 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

Im pretty high on Darnold but it seems like the 'rebuild' of Sam is getting his confidence back. I would expect we beat the Jets but am concerned that if Sam plays the Jets (even though they are a different team now) and loses that it might set him back even further. 

What do you think? If we happen to lose to the Jets will that impact Darnold or will that have no effect?

I think the better question is what will fans think and say after the win.  

I'm not worried about Sam. He won't be the reason this team drops a game against the Jets, should that laughable crap your entertaining, happens. 

• Pie 3

He should be well used to criticism by now. If he can't handle the heat we have bigger problems. Losing to the Jets would not be the end of the world. But after weeks of fans and media trashing that organization as incompetent and incapable it would be embarrassing for Carolina. The season opener is a must win and a much needed morale boost.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

He should be well used to criticism by now. If he can't handle the heat we have bigger problems. Losing to the Jets would not be the end of the world. But after weeks of fans and media trashing that organization as incompetent and incapable it would be embarrassing for Carolina. The season opener is a must win and a much needed morale boost.

Do you think the same holds true for the Jets org and fans? Do they see a win as necessary to validate giving up on and trading Sam? Probably not to the degree that the Panthers do but I would imagine there will be a vocal "SEE!!! I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT SAM!!!" contingency if they lose.

• Pie 2

I don't know about Darnold, but this place will be fun.  The shtposters will be in heaven.

tenor.gif?itemid=5391539

The 2020 Jets beat 2 winning teams who went deep in the playoffs last year.  We didn't beat a single winning team.

The jets have all new coaches, practically a brand new OL, new receivers and more help on D.   We will not be playing the 2020 jets, we will be playing the 2021 jets, so we can not sleep on them.

All that said, I want Darnold to light them up with +300 yards and plenty of deep balls to Robby.  We should win this game.

• Pie 3

38 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I think the better question is what will fans think and say after the win.  

I'm not worried about Sam. He won't be the reason this team drops a game against the Jets, should that laughable crap your entertaining, happens. 

This.

33 minutes ago, mccjeff said:

Do you think the same holds true for the Jets org and fans? 

They do.  Jets fans argue about it in a bunch threads, including an 18 pager on the front jetnation.  

It matters to them for evaluating the choice to drop Sam and get wilson.  We were both bottom tier in the league and they had a harder schedule so this is considered a winnable game to them.  Also the worse we do, the better value in the picks we gave them.  Plus its a chance to watch all of their new toys in action.

They have something to prove.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, mccjeff said:

Do you think the same holds true for the Jets org and fans? Do they see a win as necessary to validate giving up on and trading Sam? Probably not to the degree that the Panthers do but I would imagine there will be a vocal "SEE!!! I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE KEPT SAM!!!" contingency if they lose.

Can you imagine their fan base if Darnold lights them up, ho boy!

(Can you imagine ours if Darnold throws no TDs and a few picks?!?)

There will surely be some overreactions from one or both fan bases.

• Pie 1

57 minutes ago, mccjeff said:

Well they don't have much else to hang their hats on so I can't much blame them. For Carolina stepping out of the basement means beating up on bad teams like they should. I expect our defense to give Zach Wilson a very unpleasant welcome to the nfl.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I think the fanbase and media will make a bigger deal about it than it actually is. 

If we lose to the Jets then I'd be more upset at the defense honestly. No reason a team with no weapons, a rookie QB and a patchwork line should beat us. 

In theory, sure. But we don’t know how we lost this theoretical game. What if the offense shits the bed or special teams? Or what if the Jets are somehow actually good now?

But, yeah, I don't doubt it will impact Darnold to take that L. But, if that loss breaks him, we were probably gonna be fuged anyway.

• Pie 1