• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bleacher Report article mentioning Darnold.

Tr3ach

Just now, panthers55 said:

I don't think you have to wait that long if he plays well. He isn't a rookie and if Pittsburgh plays like they normally do they won't be totally vanilla and will be sending blitzes and playing more like a regular season game.  The first few regular season games are against teams that may not be very good. So that might not be the best test depending on how NO plays.

It's going to take a few regular season games for opposing DCs to get relevant film to study and start being able to tailor their game plans. It's why a lot of backup QBs can step in and look good in brief stretches. Not having film on a guy to study in a particular system is a pretty big handicap for opposing DCs. If Darnold is looking good 5-6 games into the season, we have legit reason to think he could potentially be the guy.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's going to take a few regular season games for opposing DCs to get relevant film to study and start being able to tailor their game plans. It's why a lot of backup QBs can step in and look good in brief stretches. Not having film on a guy to study in a particular system is a pretty big handicap for opposing DCs. If Darnold is looking good 5-6 games into the season, we have legit reason to think he could potentially be the guy.

Can't deny that film can make a difference for the defense but Darnold is also gaining experience and confidence as he goes and watching film gameplanning against that defense as well. So it very possible that his improvements will compensate for any disadvantage he gets from teams seeing him in our system. Something that Teddy didn't do last year when teams realized he couldn't or wouldn't throw the deep ball. That won't be Darnold's issue for sure.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Can't deny that film can make a difference for the defense but Darnold is also gaining experience and confidence as he goes and watching film gameplanning against that defense as well. So it very possible that his improvements will compensate for any disadvantage he gets from teams seeing him in our system.

That's what we have to wait to find out.

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Can't deny that film can make a difference for the defense but Darnold is also gaining experience and confidence as he goes and watching film gameplanning against that defense as well. So it very possible that his improvements will compensate for any disadvantage he gets from teams seeing him in our system. Something that Teddy didn't do last year when teams realized he couldn't or wouldn't throw the deep ball. That won't be Darnold's issue for sure.

Definitely fact check true.

I think this is potentially the most potent and talented offense the Panthers have put on the field in a long time if not ever.  As you mentioned, If Darnold gets comfortable defensive coordinators are going to have more than Darnold to figure out how to stop.

• Beer 1

The big question for me is how his decision making has improved. He had an alarming amount of turnovers in college and continued to have the same problem as a pro.

Gonna have to go back and watch a cpl of his games again from last season and try to dial in on what led to the TOs. 

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, NAS said:

Bleacher report is garbage

It's clearly an overreaction to first two days in camp, ignoring the fact that he's looked good since they went to pads early last week. 

That's what I was thinking.  I remember his first couple days being rough when Rhule said they were throwing everything at him immediately. 

• Pie 1

donald trump GIF

BR lurking around the camp for a half day and getting feedback from Newton is not real TC coverage.  Noticed it wasn’t even a full direct quote from the often flawed Newton.  It may be a situationally accurate statement but not sure that it is representative of Darnolds camp performance in totality.  

Edited by Pejorative Miscreant
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Ace420 said:

I have to agree. I know that Panthers media has made Sam look like he is playing very well in camp, but they haven't told us much.

We have all seen his good throws on the few clips from Twitter, but they could just be hiding his mistakes so that they can hype this season and sell more tickets. I hope I am wrong, but this is the type of stuff that corporate media does. 

If Jeremy and other fans were able to film and show us what was really happening we wouldn't have doubts like this.

I trust Igo enough to take his word for it. 

In general though, this BR article just doesn't square with anything I've read/heard from anyone that's been to practice.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Icege said:

The big question for me is how his decision making has improved. He had an alarming amount of turnovers in college and continued to have the same problem as a pro.

Gonna have to go back and watch a cpl of his games again from last season and try to dial in on what led to the TOs. 

If no one is open and you try to make something happen that is what causes turnovers. Hopefully this year with a better scheme more guys will be open so Sam can play inside the offense and take what the defense is giving him.