• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers - Baltimore Ravens Joint Practice 2

Zod

7 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Yes, true about increased roster size, so I'm not holding my breath. But a protected reserve status wouldn't cost anything and would give teams more roster flexibility.

You gonna have to pay those guys like they're on the active roster or the NFLPA is going to have a big problem keeping those guys tied to a PS spot if they're being offered active roster status elsewhere. That would just be really unfair for those guys in that situation. That's why practice squads have always been pluckable. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Yes, true about increased roster size, so I'm not holding my breath. But a protected reserve status wouldn't cost anything and would give teams more roster flexibility.

Teams can already protect 4 players per week on the practice squad from being signed away to the active 53 man roster of other teams.

16 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I REALLY REALLY wish that with the 17 game season the NFL had increased roster size and/or practice squad size.

Would love to see something like a protected reserve status of at least 5 guys that could be put on practice squad, but permanently protected for the season, allowing for keeping young guys who are very talented, but still raw.

I was honestly shocked that they didn't increase the active roster size.

• Beer 1

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

Five takeaways from the Wofford College portion of the Panthers camp that ended Thursday: 1. QB Sam Darnold still has a lot to prove. 2. LT Cam Erving may have been "excellent'' as Matt Rhule said, but injuries are a concern. 3. First-round pick Jaycee Horn truly is an "alpha'' as GM Scott Fitterer called him and will be a difference maker. 4. DC Phil Snow has a lot of great pieces to work with & will force more turnovers this season. 5. C.J. Saunders deserves a spot in crowded WR room.

WPanthers coach Matt Rhule is leaning towards playing QB Sam Darnold in Saturday's preseason game against Baltimore. The key will be having enough healthy players to protect him. LT Cam Erving missed the second half of Thursday's practice, forcing RT Taylor Moton to slide over for key team drills. Receivers DJ Moore and Robby Anderson could be out. Moore (back) left Thursday's practice and Anderson (hamstring) didn't practice for the second straight day.

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You gonna have to pay those guys like they're on the active roster or the NFLPA is going to have a big problem keeping those guys tied to a PS spot if they're being offered active roster status elsewhere. That would just be really unfair for those guys in that situation. That's why practice squads have always been pluckable. 

Fair point.

48 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Five takeaways from the Wofford College portion of the Panthers camp that ended Thursday: 1. QB Sam Darnold still has a lot to prove. 2. LT Cam Erving may have been "excellent'' as Matt Rhule said, but injuries are a concern. 3. First-round pick Jaycee Horn truly is an "alpha'' as GM Scott Fitterer called him and will be a difference maker. 4. DC Phil Snow has a lot of great pieces to work with & will force more turnovers this season. 5. C.J. Saunders deserves a spot in crowded WR room.

Captain Obvious here. 🤨