• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good is Joe Brady really?

Mr. Scot

I think he has a great offensive mind but was handcuffeed by his own design.  He was the one that promoted signing Bridgewater.   I think this season he'll have everything he needs to show he's the man.

I cannot see how he can't be successful with the weapons he has.  If Darnold execute the offense and limits his mistakes.  He'll be a top candidate for the next HC.

That said, if Brady does well. What's next.  I would hope we have someone in the pipeline that can utilize the same system that works well with Brady.

54 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

He's got one year experience at the job with questions at QB and all along the Oline except for Moton. It's way too early to say something like that. If the QB can't get them the ball, ala Teddy, or doesn't have time to get them the ball, it doesn't matter how good the skill position guys are.

Anyone can look good with a Rodgers/Manning at qb.

can you do it with a tannehill or Winston 

I think he's still green in his playcalling at times, especially in the 2nd half when pressures on and you need to drive down the field, bit like others have stated he's learning. So as long as our offense keeps trending upward, then I'll consider it.

But am I the only one that kinda gets a Chudzinski vibe from him? Another labeled genius that looked the part the first season, then fell into the dumpster the next before taking the Browns job.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Even a two season data set may not be enough to draw complete conclusions on what he is. People are understating just how young and early in his career he is. Who knows what he may be with 5, 6, 7 years of NFL experience under his belt?

You willing to wait?

5 hours ago, trueblade said:

Brady might be a good OC, I don't know. I hope he is. I do wonder how much of the 2020 season that made him a star was his coaching versus the tremendous players he had.

LSU teams are always stacked with talent, no doubt, but I think you'd have a hard time finding another LSU team stacked with as much talent on the offensive side of the ball as the 2020 Tigers.

• WR Ja'Marr Chase So - 1st round 2021
  • WR Justin Jefferson Jr - 1st round 2020, 2020 OROY (Sporting News), 2020 Pro Bowl
  • WR Terrace Marshall Jr. - 2nd round 2021
  • QB Joe Burrow - 1st round 2020
  • RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire 1st round 2020
  • Lloyd Cushenberry - 3rd round 2020, starting center for Denver
  • Damien Lewis - 3rd round 2020, starting right guard for Seattle. Named to the Pro Football Writers Association's All-NFL Rookie Team in 2020

F*ck I wanted Cushenberry badly last draft,  thought there were some really good center prospects and we wouldn't need to rely on Paradis.  Biadasz and Hennessy too.  

But they were all gone after Chinn but before Troy Pride so I can't say we screwed up there haha.

• Pie 2

Going to need to see a significant improvement in redzone play calling as well as 2min drills. The QB change doesn't help near as much as getting CMC back and having competent TE + OL play.

Take the MIN game, for example. From the 11yd line at the beginning of the 2nd quarter:

• 1st & 10 - HB toss to the right. Brandon Zylstra is asked to seal the edge vs. a DE who muscles right by him and forces Davis to accelerate towards the sideline. Moton, who is pulling, almost stops to help but has to turn his attention to the DT that Miller was unsuccessful blocking. Had Moton not had to slow up for either of those defenders, he'd have kept going and crushed Gladney and left Davis 1-on-1 with just Harris to beat. Loss of 4. Why was the #5 WR being asked to seal off a DE?
  • 2nd & 14 - Inside handoff on the option. Edge was set, but Gladney read the play and got inside Robby and was there to keep Davis from bouncing it outside. 3yds and a cloud of dust. Might have been worthwhile if it was an RPO rather than a read option.
  • 3rd & 11 - Looks like a levels concept on the right side with Robby and DJ running in routes. Just 2yds of depth between the two with only two yards separating them vertically (and DJ, the deepest man, still being a good 5yds short of the 1st down. 5 targets for the QB, and only two of them are in the endzone/passed the 1st down marker). Davis runs a Texas route and Teddy tries to get it to him with his two "deep options" taken away, but the way the play was drawn up means that Robby and Davis are on a crash course for one another. Kendricks was sitting there in zone, made a jump on the ball, and you can see Davis slow up just before it gets to him because he's worried about bumping into Robby. As a result, Kendricks gets the INT.

This was bad play calling capped off by bad play design. 

Jumping to the 3rd quarter, Panthers are on the 17yd line:

• 1st & 10 - Fast collapsing pocket. Good coverage all around, Teddy has to get the ball out and tries to get it to DJ who is absolutely smothered. Ian Thomas could have been a target, but again by play design he's getting ready to bump into Curtis Samuel  once he gets to the endzone. DJ almost came down with it anyways even though Chris Jones also got away with DPI by holding his left arm down. Teddy put the ball where only DJ could get it.
  • 2nd & 10 - Read option again. OL gets no push. Davis tries to follow Reed to the outside, but Harris knocks Reed backwards into Davis for... yup... 3yds and a cloud of dust.
  • 3rd & 7 - Davis beats the LB on an out route, but Teddy has to pull it down as he winds up to fire because the OL can't protect against a 4-man rush. Paradis got hit in the side by the DT, freeing up the other DT to make a beeline for Teddy, who evades the lineman and scrambles to the 10yd line, 3 yards short of the 1st down. 
  • 4th & 3 - Slye's FG attempt is blocked by a defender that Chris Reed stepped out of the way of. It was also his man that had knocked over Paradis on the previous play.

Finally, the 2nd to last drive following the Vikings muffing the punt. Starting at the 9yd line. 2:10 left in the game, Panthers are up at the time 24-21:

• 1st & 9 - Inside handoff goes for 4yds. Colin Thompson pausing in the hole ended up being a good thing because his hesitataion caused him to get in 3 defenders' way all at once, which made room for Davis to push forward. 2min warning.
  • 2nd & 5 - They run the same play, this time for just 2yds. DJ and Thompson both to a shittacular job of blocking Kendricks who hit the hole and stopped the play. Vikings are forced to burn their final time out.
  • 3rd & 3 - The infamous "Teddy got DJ hurt" play. Teddy had mentioned that the play came in late and called for shifting Robby to determine if it was man/zone coverage. The team lined up with 6sec left on the play clock (FOLLOWING A TIME OUT NO LESS), and had Teddy been able to check it into a run play (which several Huddlers scoffed at) not only would DJ not have gotten hurt, but it would have left the Vikings with barely a minute on the clock rather than almost a full 2min had Davis been stopped. Instead, we got an inaccurate throw and DJ rolled his ankle. Teddy had an opportunity and missed for sure, but for Brady to not get that play call in until there's 15sec on the play clock following a time out is asinine.

If Brady can show improvement as a play caller and revisit some of the plays where he has two receivers in the same spot on the field (something that infuriated me about Shula's offense when he was here), then I'll start worrying about him getting poached.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

7 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Play Design - I'd say 8.5 - 9 out of 10

Play-calling in 2020 - 6.5 - 7 out of 10

Overall I think we have a good OC that is still growing into that role at the NFL level, from ''Collegiate Passing Game Coordinator'' to ''OC" is a HUGE jump. 

I think we have more in place at all spots on offense, and even with the concern over the OL, I'd wager it's a little better off than last season, it stands to reason we should be pretty good on offense especially if the defense is as good as it is on paper at the key spots. 

Not bad odds given his first full OC job.