• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Film Study Against Steelers

Castavar

2 minutes ago, RJK said:

The out route is perfect at all depths. Looks like a staple play.

Especially since we're going to be seeing a LOT of one on ones on the outside throughout the season because defenses are going to be keying in on CMC. DJ and Robby are going to feast on those out routes.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Didn't see this posted yet, but this video did a great job breaking down Darnold's play against the Steelers. Don't feel like recapping cause I'm tired, but some really good stuff. Darnold made some really great decisions and threw some dimes.

I want to throat punch this fat geek. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Kinda less detailed, way less annoying voice and all 22 views. After watching Teddy tonight at least we'll have more exciting plays for better or worse

The TD to Robbie Anderson play, watching this, it looks like there were 3 touchdown options on that play.  Almost seems like Marshall (I think that's who that was in the end zone at the top of the screen, can't make out all the numbers) would have been an easy touchdown.  Also, Arnold could possibly have been a touchdown option if that was an out breaking route in the end zone.  Good play design.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, Castavar said:

Didn't see this posted yet, but this video did a great job breaking down Darnold's play against the Steelers. Don't feel like recapping cause I'm tired, but some really good stuff. Darnold made some really great decisions and threw some dimes.

Yes I saw this and no doubt the narrator voice is obnoxious. 

I think he navigated the offense well and am super excited with a real game plan in place. 

What seems to be a constant challenge for us is it seems, not always, that we are always scheduled against a new HC game one.  We never get the chance to utilize previous years schemes to game plan off of.

11 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I knew Darnold had a live arm but not that he was so accurate.  If he can master the offense he becomes a stronger more mobile Teddy which is exactly what we always wanted from him.

He won't be Teddy because he can throw the ball longer than 10 yards.  

8 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

The TD to Robbie Anderson play, watching this, it looks like there were 3 touchdown options on that play.  Almost seems like Marshall (I think that's who that was in the end zone at the top of the screen, can't make out all the numbers) would have been an easy touchdown.  Also, Arnold could possibly have been a touchdown option if that was an out breaking route in the end zone.  Good play design.

So many weapons.   So many options for Sam.  🙂

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

He won't be Teddy because he can throw the ball longer than 10 yards.  

Yeah that is why I said a stronger and more mobile version. Teddy understood the offense and how to use players to exploit the defense. He just was too adverse to throwing downfield and didn't have a strong arm neither of which is a problem for Darnold. What Darnold needs is to understand the system and stay calm under pressure which are both things that Teddy did very well.  Teddy could have been the answer if he had Darnolds athleticism. Darnold will be the answer if he can have Teddy's calmness and mastery of the offensive scheme.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Yeah that is why I said a stronger and more mobile version. Teddy understood the offense and how to use players to exploit the defense. He just was too adverse to throwing downfield and didn't have a strong arm neither of which is a problem for Darnold. What Darnold needs is to understand the system and stay calm under pressure which are both things that Teddy did very well.  Teddy could have been the answer if he had Darnolds athleticism. Darnold will be the answer if he can have Teddy's calmness and mastery of the offensive scheme.

Well said.

I've seen now that this offense is going to be based around getting the ball in our playmakers hands in space and letting them run after that catch (what the Saints have been doing for a long time now). Sam just has to get used to knowing where his outlets are when things get chaotic or the original progression isn't there. Like you said, his athleticism will also help a ton in this department (which he kind of displayed Friday on multiple plays). Teddy just didn't have the arm strength to take advantage of the deep shots when they were there, and didn't have the athleticism (like you said) to improvise or escape the pocket when he needed to make a play. Good points.

• Pie 1