• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule vs Saleh

NAS

32 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Brian Burns was asked how Rhule differs from Rivera. Burns laughed and said that Rivera really understood what he was going through as a player and connected with him more on a personal level, while Rhule was more strategic and analytical. It was on Aquib Talib's podcast. 

KeepPounding.tv claims that players have contacted him and said negative things about how Rhule interacts with players. This is supposedly what led to Denzel Perryman getting traded.

In the camp confidential videos he seems extremely impersonal, like he's a race horse owner talking about what he needs to do with them better. The team meeting footage felt really weird to me too; half of the guys were obviously not paying attention while with Rivera they seemed laser focused.

I mean, Rivera cracked heads with the 85 Bears.  He is going to naturally going to have a big edge over someone like Rhule in a defensive locker room.    I mean, even if Rivera and Rhule weren't NFL coaches.  Rivera is going to be a fit in that setting. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Capers took over an expansion team

Fox took over a 1 win team

Rivera took over a 2 win team

They all were in the postseason within 3 years. 

It's the NFL.  This year and the next IMO should decide if Rhule should stay or leave. 

The two win team got Rivera Cam. The circumstances are very different here.

Tepper very much wants to emulate the Steelers. I see him giving Rhule a long rope.

2 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Brian Burns was asked how Rhule differs from Rivera. Burns laughed and said that Rivera really understood what he was going through as a player and connected with him more on a personal level, while Rhule was more strategic and analytical. It was on Aquib Talib's podcast. 

KeepPounding.tv claims that players have contacted him and said negative things about how Rhule interacts with players. This is supposedly what led to Denzel Perryman getting traded.

In the camp confidential videos he seems extremely impersonal, like he's a race horse owner talking about what he needs to do with them better. The team meeting footage felt really weird to me too; half of the guys were obviously not paying attention while with Rivera they seemed laser focused.

I just listened to that podcast and that’s not really what Burns said.

He said Ron was more defensive minded and more hands on with the D. Rhule is more offensive.

Said Ron gave him a different perspective of the game since he played it. He could get more hands on while Rhule is more strategic and scheme oriented since he doesn’t have experience as a player.

Nothing about not connecting with guys personally.

Edited by Tbe
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The two win team got Rivera Cam. The circumstances are very different here.

Tepper very much wants to emulate the Steelers. I see him giving Rhule a long rope.

Ron Rivera took over a 2 win team that featured Jimmy Clausen as the QB.     

Fox took over a 1 win team that featured Weinke as the QB. 

Rhule isn't in some unique horrible spot.  

• Pie 2

I don't care about Saleh because he's not here. I think Rhule is a good dude who would be a lot of fun to have a beer with (provided it were brewed by a Temple alum), but there's nothing other than blind optimism and a love of Owls football that would have me optimistic about his tenure here. I want us to win games, no matter who the coach happens to be. I just don't think we'll win more than we'll lose with The Owl King. 

But I hope the dude proves me wrong this year.

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I don't care about Saleh because he's not here. I think Rhule is a good dude who would be a lot of fun to have a beer with (provided it were brewed by a Temple alum), but there's nothing other than blind optimism and a love of Owls football that would have me optimistic about his tenure here. I want us to win games, no matter who the coach happens to be. I just don't think we'll win more than we'll lose with The Owl King. 

But I hope the dude proves me wrong this year.

It’s really not possible to win consistently without a stud QB. Ron wouldn’t have lasted 3 years without Cam. Remember when Ron was almost fired?

I’m optimistic because he’s drafting better than most NFL coaches and that goes a long way.

I don’t expect him to be some coaching savant. He needs time to grow into the role. I like what he’s doing and I’m willing to wait for results.

Now if Fields and Jones end up being studs while Sam proves to be a turd, then I’ll be pissed. Until then, let’s see how this defense develops. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I don’t put a lot of trust in KeepPounding.tv but also Perryman was on a bike and in the tub and never on the field…that probably led to the trade more than anything.

35 minutes ago, Tbe said:

It’s really not possible to win consistently without a stud QB. Ron wouldn’t have lasted 3 years without Cam. Remember when Ron was almost fired?

I’m optimistic because he’s drafting better than most NFL coaches and that goes a long way.

I don’t expect him to be some coaching savant. He needs time to grow into the role. I like what he’s doing and I’m willing to wait for results.

Now if Fields and Jones end up being studs while Sam proves to be a turd, then I’ll be pissed. Until then, let’s see how this defense develops. 

I think the fans are getting a little carried away with our drafting "success." There is a lot to be excited about but you are also talking about two draft classes that have played a combined 16 game schedule. 

We probably need to slow our roll on that level of hype. That's a hindsight observation, not a foresight observation. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the fans are getting a little carried away with our drafting "success." There is a lot to be excited about but you are also talking about two draft classes that have played a combined 16 game schedule. 

We probably need to slow our roll on that level of hype. That's a hindsight observation, not a foresight observation. 

If guys look like they belong early they don't tend to regress.

Brown and Chinn are going to be superstars. I'm less bullish on YGM.

Obviously THIS rookie class has yet to see the field during the regular season, but their pre-season performances have been stellar. Again, they look better than a lot of seasoned vets we've brought in / played against. 

There's a lot of room for optimism. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

If guys look like they belong early they don't tend to regress.

Brown and Chinn are going to be superstars. I'm less bullish on YGM.

Obviously THIS rookie class has yet to see the field during the regular season, but their pre-season performances have been stellar. Again, they look better than a lot of seasoned vets we've brought in / played against. 

There's a lot of room for optimism. 

While I see the potential for Brown and Chinn to be superstars, I am not even going to say that is a sure thing yet. I believe it has a high probability.

I agree on the optimism, as well. I just don't agree with some of these proclamations of greatness and "best in the NFL" without the actual playing time to bear that out. As Panthers fans, you would think that we should understand about managing expectations.

• Beer 1