• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Morning After - Jets at Panthers

Zod

Yeah, I think my biggest gripe is running CMC into the dirt. It is a 17 game season now, we have got to find ways to get other players the ball. Even if we have to lose a few games to do it, we have to get more comfortable looking elsewhere. If not, we are going to lose CMC. We will not win consistently with that gameplan. We don't play the Jets every week, and I'm not sure we would win every time then either. Wilson looked good. Avoided like 3 sacks on one play, they got something to be excited about. 

Just to throw this in. I really didn't like the number change early this year. But Carter and Shaq looked awesome in single digits. lol! We should add the number change to the Walk of Fame. Haha!

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1

19 minutes ago, Zod said:

The Carolina Panthers were indeed victorious against the lowly NY Jets. However, not all deserved the victory. Here are my top and bottom players of the day. 

Walk of Fame

Hall Of Fame Game GIF

I can probably safely pin Christian McCaffrey to the Walk of Fame this season. McCaffrey was the best player on the field, and it wasn't close. If not for him, I don't believe we beat the Jets. 

Sam Darnold deserves a whole heck of a lot of credit this morning. Darnold was only sacked once, but the Jets hit him seven other times. Under tremendous pressure with his Panthers debut and playing against his old team, Darnold stood tall in the pocket and showed poise and patience. It paid of with a dub. Nice job, Sam. 

When the Carolina Panthers drafted Shaq Thompson, they envisioned an athletic freak of a linebacker that would cover the field sideline to sideline. What they got was far less than that, until yesterday. Shaq Thompson in his new #7 jersey was reborn and finally lived up to his expectations. Let's hope this new Shaq is here to stay.

Walk of Shame

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Dennis Daley warned us all last week that he isn't all that comfortable on the right side. So what did the Panthers do? Put him in at the right side. What transpired was an awful display of pass protection. This is not all Daley's fault. He should not have been put there. Let's hope Deonte Brown is active this week. 

Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady has an amazing playbook full of top notch content. Unfortunately, he doesn't exactly know how to use it properly. Brady is a DJ with the world's largest music collection that still plays poo that no one wants to hear. For that he gets a healthy helping of shame. 

A gratuitous and unnecessary hold by left guard Pat Elflein stalled what would have been a quick six points for the Panthers. We all knew Elflein would cost us this season, but we didn't know how soon. His 10 yard penalty deflated the offense that was looking very good otherwise. 

Good post. I think we rely on McCaffrey too much. There is too much talent on this roster. Spread the ball around and we score more TDs!!!

• Pie 4

19 minutes ago, Zod said:

Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady has an amazing playbook full of top notch content. Unfortunately, he doesn't exactly know how to use it properly. Brady is a DJ with the world's largest music collection that still plays poo that no one wants to hear. For that he gets a healthy helping of shame. 

After rewatching some of the red zone plays, I think play calling was fine, it’s the execution that needs to improve. The fumble would have been a walk-in TD by CMC as an example.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Call me crazy but I thought the oline played above average in the first half and then I guess the Jets made adjustments at halftime and they were really shaking after facing some pressure.

I know its really early but damn if we go oline heavy in the 2022 draft this team is set to take it up to the elite level with its current roster

The Oline performed about how I expected them to.

All of the hand wringers didn't seem to take into account that this O is designed to get the ball out quickly (partly by necessity).

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, NAS said:

After rewatching some of the red zone plays, I think play calling was fine, it’s the execution that needs to improve. The fumble would have been a walk-in TD by CMC as an example.

While I don't disagree that a lot of red zone plays died to poor execution, a lot of those instances can be squarely pinned on the OL.  If pretty much every Panthers fan under the sun can see the struggles of our OL, surely the coaches can as well.  In which case we need to have a coaching plan that hides those flaws in all situations.

The fact that we continue to struggle in the red zone is scary.  It's only the first game, so I'm willing to give it a bit of time, but we need to improve that - this season.  If we don't it's going to be a pretty big red flag for Joe Brady as an OC.  Our weapons are just too damn good to be scoring less than 20 points against a poor Jets defense.

Edited by BrianS
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I don't think that's fair on Elflein, that was a bogus flag. The defender gave up his back.

He literally wrapped his arms around him and hugged him. 

It wasn't a block in the back call. That and clipping are negated by the defender turning his back. 

It was holding. You hug a guy like you haven't seen him in 20 years you're getting flagged 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1