• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting an OL question

Mr. Scot

39 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I just can't say how I'd rejigger the line right now, simply because I don't know what the coaches know at the moment. I do know what I've seen and it definitely needs to get better.

And the coaches have seen that, too. There's no way they've missed it.

But they haven't sent Christensen or Brady out there, no matter how much handwringing the fanbase has gone through. There must be a reason. And that might be that they are honestly sending their best five potential blockers out there, sad as that might be. 

My thoughts are along the same line. Preseason was the time to see if the rookies could play against NFL starters, not week 5 if you're a head coach.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

BC has played as a LT since he came into the BYU lineup.  Moving him to the RT, as a rookie in the NFL makes absolutely no sense.  If you're going to try BC, you try him on the left, at tackle.  Moving him to guard won't gain us anything.  BC isn't a power guy, and that's our problem on the interior.  In the extremely limited sample size we have of him, he didn't look quite ready.  Maybe he grows into it if you throw him in the fire.  I dunno.

I would like to see Deonte on the bench more often.  I don't see how we get the answers we need with him inactive every week.  Maybe he looks really bad in practice, maybe there is something with his weight.  We can't make those calls from our seats here.  Still, I'd hoped we'd see at least a series or two from him by this point.

Yes, our OLine is a problem.  Everyone, everywhere knows it.  Yes, it's a problem for continuing Sam's development.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's possible to fix it this year without sacrificing the future.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

14 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

Paradis is the 2nd best O-lineman we have.

That's how bad our line is.

Unfortunately Paradis is a great run blocker but below average pass blocker. 

He's a defensive short stop in baseball. He's a starter in half the league, but he could be replaced with a bigger bat to sacrifice some defensive consistency and the team would be better for it. 

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, BrianS said:

BC has played as a LT since he came into the BYU lineup.  Moving him to the RT, as a rookie in the NFL makes absolutely no sense.  If you're going to try BC, you try him on the left, at tackle.  Moving him to guard won't gain us anything.  BC isn't a power guy, and that's our problem on the interior.  In the extremely limited sample size we have of him, he didn't look quite ready.  Maybe he grows into it if you throw him in the fire.  I dunno.

I would like to see Deonte on the bench more often.  I don't see how we get the answers we need with him inactive every week.  Maybe he looks really bad in practice, maybe there is something with his weight.  We can't make those calls from our seats here.  Still, I'd hoped we'd see at least a series or two from him by this point.

Yes, our OLine is a problem.  Everyone, everywhere knows it.  Yes, it's a problem for continuing Sam's development.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's possible to fix it this year without sacrificing the future.  

Personally, on the Deonte side, I think they've been working him to lose the weight (reportedly he's gone down from 364 at the pro day to 330-ish currently). It's hard to lose that much weight that fast without losing some muscle. There were conditioning issues back then obviously, but there may be different ones now caused by that change.

Still, some reps on special teams as a blocker could help Deonte get into fighting shape.

51 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

My thoughts are along the same line. Preseason was the time to see if the rookies could play against NFL starters, not week 5 if you're a head coach.

It's not the sexy answer, but it is probably the right answer. If the potential was really there, they'd have tested it by now.

• Beer 1

I would just put Brady at LT to see how he does.  If it's not jiving, then LG and put Erving back outside him.  Keep Moton at RT.  Brown at RG.  

Ideal if it works out: Brady-Erving-Paradis-Brown-Moton

backup plan: Erving-Brady-Paradis-Brown-Moton

Daley & Scott should be backups if on an NFL roster.  I was wrong with my Daley (if healthy) expectations.  Next men up.  Let's just see how the rooks are.

• Beer 2

Unless Brown has gotten much better in pass protection, he should NOT be in the line up.  He got eaten alive at the Senior Bowl in pass drills.  He's a road grader at this point.  That doesn't mean he hasn't or couldn't get better, but that's the reason he fell so far in the draft after being projected as one of the top guards.  Some say we got him as a steal on day 3, but was he really a steal or did he get exposed?  I say the later.  It's rare guys fall that far after being hyped unless a serious flaw in their game gets exposed or medical/personal red flags.  He wasn't injured or had any off-the-field issues, so there's only one reason left.

1 hour ago, Zod said:

Offensive Line is banged up right now. They could easily change up the starters and no one would say much. 

Also, Matt Rhule said the offensive line would be playing "based on availability" so that sounds like something is up.

Yeah, saw that.

I think that also factors into Ellis' speculation as well.

Brady at LT or LG. I'm not convinced he has the strength yet for OG but it's worth a look at this point. LT all day in my opinion, if he fails then tell him to bulk up for LG next year.

Please don't move Moton, I wanted to see him at LT for years, that time has passed. If he played like he has at RT, I don't know where the hope is coming  from that he would be better at LT right now.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Brady C. at LG for now while Moton stays where he is. 

Paradis, well, we need a center from somewhere. 

Deonte would be given a chance a RG.

My real choice?

Brady at LT and Deonte at LG and the best center in the upcoming draft.

We have a better C on the roster, we just play him at LG for some reason. 

44 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Personally, on the Deonte side, I think they've been working him to lose the weight (reportedly he's gone down from 364 at the pro day to 330-ish currently). It's hard to lose that much weight that fast without losing some muscle. There were conditioning issues back then obviously, but there may be different ones now caused by that change.

Still, some reps on special teams as a blocker could help Deonte get into fighting shape.

Or as an extra lineman in short yardage / goal line packages . . . all places where we've struggled to just get some PUSH.  

• Pie 1