• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rebuilding vs Winning Now

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Yep. The only teams that go into “win now” mode are the ones that are virtually already playoff teams with aging super stars that go all in filling holes before the window closes. It doesn’t always work and can leave a dumpster fire in its wake.

Basically what happened in 2019

i dont buy the idea of rebuilds taking 5 years. The 49ers had 2 seasons in between being the worst team in football and having a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. If you acquire blue chip talent in the draft and develop your young players you can put together a title contender pretty quickly

• Pie 3

Football and basketball is different, but my Lakers rebuild through 2016-2019 would have resulted in mediocrity for the foreseeable future. I really enjoyed the championship in 2020 from making trades with their young assets and pieces. I think the panthers are making a similar approach and I'm all for it. 

• Beer 1

I think the schedule gives the Panthers a chance at playoffs. Not sure they would have one otherwise. The Panthers really struggle vs. solid teams.

But that defense is good enough to be in, however there is no way the oline will allow deep playoffs, the Dallas game is a good example of what would happen after the WC rounds.

Holes are getting fewer and fewer though, very bright future.

Edited by onmyown

Go ahead and make a push now.  Giving up multiple 1st round picks in a trade for a player isn't a good move...but short of that is fair game.  Some teams complain that their window was too short.  They complain it was "only" X number of years.  They don't realize how many other teams never see a "window."  They never get one or they only blindly take shots at one.

The window is open for us.  Whether its a slight breeze or something more is up to you.  But its open.  This is not the time for a 5 year plan.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

Go ahead and make a push now.  Giving up multiple 1st round picks in a trade for a player isn't a good move...but short of that is fair game.  Some teams complain that their window was too short.  They complain it was "only" X number of years.  They don't realize how many other teams never see a "window."  They never get one or they only blindly take shots at one.

The window is open for us.  Whether its a slight breeze or something more is up to you.  But its open.  This is not the time for a 5 year plan.

Yup. It’s the NFL where players don’t typically play very long. We wasted Luke, TD, Greg, Cam, Pep, etc by having a loser mentality. Out of respect for CMC its time to make poo happen and win now! Let’s do this & *** whoever don’t believe in us!

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm fine with moves like this. I mean, we traded a 6th round pick from two years from now. We didn't exactly hamstring ourselves. Hell, we might end up getting that pick back or possibly even upgrading that pick via a comp pick if we let him walk in FA.

This is EXACTLY how we should look at it.

We get him for a year, and our young CB's get to soak that in.  If we work out a team friendly deal, great.  We got a guy who in his prime was one of the best.  I suspect we'll see a decline now, given age.  Doesn't mean he can't contribute.

But worst case, he wants more than we are willing to pay, he walks.  We just flipped a 6th for a late 3rd.  Who doesn't love that?

10 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

if we want playoffs this year, beating Brady at least once is all but a prerequisite. We can't do that, then this team isn't ready.

All the more reason to go get Gilmore.  A guy that saw Brady every day in practice.  Knows his tendencies.  Another brilliant move by Fitty.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, BrianS said:

But worst case, he wants more than we are willing to pay, he walks.  We just flipped a 6th for a late 3rd.  Who doesn't love that?

I think its a 5th but thats irrelevant.

It was asked in the offseason if Fitt would try to build a legion of boom here in Charlotte…

Horn, Gilmore, DJ, Henderson, Bouye, Taylor, Chinn??

I think we have the answer.

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm fine with moves like this. I mean, we traded a 6th round pick from two years from now. We didn't exactly hamstring ourselves. Hell, we might end up getting that pick back or possibly even upgrading that pick via a comp pick if we let him walk in FA.

Seeing the way fitts did things this past draft I have no reason to believe he won’t do it again for the next few drafts. Though we do need some high picks for some OL so we might see him package forward instead. 

So, what? The team acquires some DBs and all of a sudden this is a playoff team with high expectations? All the while ignoring the fact the QB is getting manhandled (sacked 11 times thru 4 games and 20 hits in the past 2 games).

Your starting QB left a team who got him pummeled and left him shell-shocked, came to a team with a lot of upside, but has done nothing to protect him. When this team decides they want to protect their QB, then I'll believe they can win 9 or 10 games this season and possibly make the playoffs.

Until then, I'll just hope Darnold makes it thru each offensive series without a major injury.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Basically what happened in 2019

i dont buy the idea of rebuilds taking 5 years. The 49ers had 2 seasons in between being the worst team in football and having a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. If you acquire blue chip talent in the draft and develop your young players you can put together a title contender pretty quickly

It really don't when you come in with a few decent players from the previous regime. And Rivera/Hurney left about four really good pieces who are breaking out this year. Then add the competent and stellar moves made by Fitts, it doesn't have to be a five year project.

7 hours ago, Sione Fua said:

Yup. It’s the NFL where players don’t typically play very long. We wasted Luke, TD, Greg, Cam, Pep, etc by having a loser mentality. Out of respect for CMC its time to make poo happen and win now! Let’s do this & *** whoever don’t believe in us!

This is what I was trying to say in the Darnold thread the other day and was told I had a lottery ticket mentality. I suggested working toward having a competent, young, franchise player backup to Darnold for this very reason. I don't want to look up four or five years down the road and be Jacksonville having to let players walk and trading players like Chinn or Horn for picks. I even like you said loser mentality to not make every move at being competitive.