• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Draft History - 2011 to 2021

SetfreexX

I posted this as a response then thought, it may also be thread worthy based on the information.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

So long as there is a plan of succession for when high paid members of the team begin to age out, drafting is still critical which is why the accumulation of picks was emphasized, we went from 6 to 11 picks in this past draft. 

And for all the concern about the picks we traded in 22' - 2nd for Darnold, and a 3rd for Henderson, we still have 5 picks, so to me we are likely planning to increase that total via trading back at some points. Not to mention if we qualify for any comp picks. 

The issue with Rivera / Hurney / Gettleman / Hurney is that as the team got OLD, there were no young players who had been groomed to assume the roles of Olsen, Norman, Johnson, Davis, Coleman etc. Our drafts over that timeframe aside from the a few picks -- CMC / Moton / Jackson / Samuel & Bradberry (who left in FA) -- were all guys that didn't see a 2nd contract, or in some cases survive their rookie or sophomore seasons -- Worley / Sanchez / Butler / Grier / KB / Funchess / Gualden & Daeshon Hall were 3rd's / Miller / Scarlett / Little 2nd round bust / Artis-Payne

Total Picks per Draft -- https://www.panthers.com/history/draft

2011 - 8 (Marty)

2012 - 8 (Marty)

2013 - 5 (Gettleman)

2014 - 6 (Gettleman)

2015 - 5 (Gettleman)

2016 - 5 (Gettleman)

2017 - 7 (Gettleman)

2018 - 8 (Marty)

2019 -7 (Marty)

2020 - 7 (Marty)

2021 - 11 (Fitterer)

Average Picks Per Draft / Per GM Since 2011

Marty - 7.5

Gettleman - 5.6

Fitterer - 11

Obviously maintaining double digits is unlikely, however with the crap shoot that the draft CAN be after the first two, and sometimes 3rd round, common sense would say to try to hedge the odds in your favor by accumulating more picks. 

This way you have more chances to hit on day 2 & 3, and can build some roster depth versus always relying on JAG FA's and UDFA's as we did so often under DG. 

It's quite stunning when you see how few new players we added during the PRIMES of two HOF caliber talents in Luke, and Cam. We completely squandered that time under Gettleman with his ''5th'' draft being his best. Only Shaq (2015), CMC, Samuel, & Moton (2017) are left / viable NFL players; that's 4 out of 28 total selections, that IS CRAZY!

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Lots of picks is really the only way Belichick has manage to acquire any solid players through the draft. He's a terrible drafter but always has a ton of picks so winds up with some good players. I like Fitty's approach way more than DG's. Nippleshorts hated having a lot of picks

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I'm not a big fan of trading down and possibly missing out on top tier talent. However I think Fitterer is very masterful with trading down to acquire late round picks. He is using late round picks as ammunition to trade for players. I mean he turned a 6th round pick into Gilmore. I have no doubt that Fitterer will trade back in future drafts and get that 6th round pick back. The sense is that he's not going to stop swinging for the fences until he hits big on a pick or player, which is refreshing. 

• Pie 3

It's also a great way to manage cap space, when your backups are all on rookie deals under development.  When contract time comes, they will either be ready to be starters (or all ready be starting) or they get replaced by more rookie contracts.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

23 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

It's also a great way to manage cap space, when your backups are all on rookie deals under development.  When contract time comes, they will either be ready to be starters (or all ready be starting) or they get replaced by more rookie contracts.

The Steelers model.

I did a deep dive into this a while back and Hurney's drafts just absolutely killed us simply due to the lack of quality depth. 

For Hurney, First round, write it in pen, dude will be an absolute stud. 

Hurney in the 2nd and beyond, the majority don't even belong in the NFL. 

Our rosters were always top heavy with Hurney and whenever one guy went down we were screwed.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Fitt is going to turn it around based on everything he's done so far. 

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I did a deep dive into this a while back and Hurney's drafts just absolutely killed us simply due to the lack of quality depth. 

For Hurney, First round, write it in pen, dude will be an absolute stud. 

Hurney in the 2nd and beyond, the majority don't even belong in the NFL. 

Our rosters were always top heavy with Hurney and whenever one guy went down we were screwed.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Fitt is going to turn it around based on everything he's done so far. 

I remember that. That was a good thread.

9 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

for all the concern about the picks we traded in 22' - 2nd for Darnold, and a 3rd for Henderson, we still have 5 picks, so to me we are likely planning to increase that total via trading back at some points. Not to mention if we qualify for any comp picks.

I believe we currently have 6 picks for 2022 if Darin Gantt is correct.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, BlackPanther21_ said:

Bold prediction: We trade back in the first this April, re-gaining the lost 2nd and 3rd, and use all 3 of those picks on O-lineman. 🤞

It would not surprise me in the least.  It also would not surprise me if they used a future 1st to move up. The drafts just got interesting now that Fitts is running them.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Great thread. Gettleman's drafts killed the team. We had the fewest picks in the NFL during that era, BY FAR. And so so little to show for all of Gettleman's trade ups.

Pulling the franchise tag on Norman and drafting 3 corners in  row in 2016 with Butler and Sandland killed us.

• Pie 1