Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

  • panthers-redskins-1.jpg

Big picture...


musicman
 Share

Recommended Posts

We're competing with what we have this season and next. After that, we're built to blow up the roster with the exception of whomever staff believes that their core are. I was a little irked at first, because on the surface we have just the following draft picks for 2022: 1st, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th.  When I remind myself that the missing 3rd went to picking up CJ Henderson I feel a bit better (though a bit worse with the way Sam is currently playing since that 2nd was to pick him up).

Tyler Linderbaum in the first, and then we've got 6 day 3 picks to take shots on depth and development with. That... kind of lines up with last season where we had 7 day 3 picks in this most recent draft (4th: Chuba Hubbard, 5th: Daviyon Nixon, Keith Taylor, 6th: Deonte Brown, Shi Smith, Thomas Fletcher, 7th: Phil Hoskins). 😮

That also means that the pick for the round where Rhule has landed Chinn, TMJr, and YGM was used on Sam... Oof. Hopefully dude turns it around and is at least a serviceable game manager with the ability to make plays with his arm downfield as well as his legs to provide a dual threat to make it worthwhile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bottom line is we are among the 5 youngest teams in the league.  There is no way we are going to overcome injuries to our starting RB, LG, MLB, CB, SS, while also missing other guys like hartsfield, YGM, Erving at times. We are not built for all these injuries and there is no way we could be in the 2nd year of a rebuild. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, travisura said:

Tell me, which veterans that were "jettisoned" should we have kept? The highest volume influx of new talent to change a team comes via the draft, not free agency or trades, so yes, in a wholesale rebuild of a roster, the team is going to skew young. Not to mention that the presence of *any* "non-temple veterans" will disprove your narrative.

Interested to see your spin-doctoring once Robby Anderson (Temple) is our WR1 after we trade DJ Moore (non-Temple, best WR we've had since 89) because he didn't go to Temple.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's funny how the "fire Rivera" crowd in 2012 preaches patience now for a coach who's about 1/500th as qualified as Rivera, and his resume not only shows it now -- it will show it for the balance of his career. And that's not saying Rivera's anywhere near HOF level. It just shows we got sold a lemon and people are wanting to keep saying the lemon's not a lemon. You do you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Interested to see your spin-doctoring once Robby Anderson (Temple) is our WR1 after we trade DJ Moore (non-Temple, best WR we've had since 89) because he didn't go to Temple.


 

You are getting angry at your own assumptions. Also, you did not answer my question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, travisura said:

You are getting angry at your own assumptions. Also, you did not answer my question.

Here's one to start: Cam Newton, who's still better than either quarterback on our roster now. You're really gonna hate this and you'll hate it even more as you accept reality:

We cut the best quarterback on the roster in the preseason. And he's only a middling backup.

So let me pose some questions your way: what qualifications does P.J. Walker have to be an NFL backup? What makes Sam Tecklenburg qualified to be an NFL backup? What makes Sam Franklin qualified to be an NFL backup? Seen anything from Bravvion Roy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, travisura said:

We ended the 2019 season with arguably the NFL's worst roster. Did you really expect this team to be competitive last year and this year?

Look at how this defense has changed.  If we had jettisoned Whitehead after the first few games I'd say our defense would have been even better last year then it was.  While the Defense gave up 571 yards against the Vikings, they didn't get any help from the Offense until the last half of the 4th quarter.  

I'd say the Defense is extremely competitive, top 10 almost, and they've had just as much of an overhaul as the offense, so why should we give one half of the team a pass, and the other not?  

We have a competitive football team...wild card capable if our play calling and QB can play smart.  The biggest issue is cashing in when it counts, and we fail to do that almost every year.  We lose to teams we shouldn't, and then finish the year with 3-4 straight meaningless wins.  

I'll complain here and then on Sunday my un-happy ass will still be planted watching the team play.  I just wish there was a more consistent product on the field.  There are flashes of a great team, but that's about it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NAS said:

I think we just want to know there's a plan in place and that it's getting executed on. 

I think the Darnold trade is starting to look bad.  If we were losing but he was performing, I would feel better than having a huge ? at the position after having given up a 2nd and a 4th round pick in next year's draft.

And next years QB draft class is looking rough to say the least. So if Sam doesn't improve enough to sign him long term we're kinda back to square one in 2023. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Here's one to start: Cam Newton, who's still better than either quarterback on our roster now. You're really gonna hate this and you'll hate it even more as you accept reality:

We cut the best quarterback on the roster in the preseason. And he's only a middling backup.

So let me pose some questions your way: what qualifications does P.J. Walker have to be an NFL backup? What makes Sam Tecklenburg qualified to be an NFL backup? What makes Sam Franklin qualified to be an NFL backup? Seen anything from Bravvion Roy?

So I'm to assume that you're implying that Cam was cut because he didn't go to Temple, and no other reason?

And the fact that you just said that Will Grier, who is currently third on the Cowboy's QB depth chart behind Cooper fugging Rush, is better than Sam Darnold, tells me that you either have horrible football takes, or you're purposefully taking the piss. It's clear you're upset at the amount of players on the roster that come from programs that Rhule coached, but if you were a first time NFL coach with more holes on your roster than swiss cheese, would you not try and fill those holes in the short term with players you know and are familiar with? The only players from Baylor or Temple who are currently *starters* have proved they deserve a starting spot.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, travisura said:

So I'm to assume that you're implying that Cam was cut because he didn't go to Temple, and no other reason?

And the fact that you just said that Will Grier, who is currently third on the Cowboy's QB depth chart behind Cooper fugging Rush, is better than Sam Darnold, tells me that you either have horrible football takes, or you're purposefully taking the piss. It's clear you're upset at the amount of players on the roster that come from programs that Rhule coached, but if you were a first time NFL coach with more holes on your roster than swiss cheese, would you not try and fill those holes in the short term with players you know and are familiar with? The only players from Baylor or Temple who are currently *starters* have proved they deserve a starting spot.

No, I wouldn't, because first of all, most competent NFL franchises don't hire a head coach whose biggest accomplishment is at Baylor. It would be a bit more understandable if he's taking Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State or LSU players, but he's essentially just scooping UNCC and ECU trash and placing it on the roster as a job bank. Look no further than the assistant coaches to prove this. 

Also, if depth chart is the end-all, be-all of NFL talent, where does a guy who wasn't even good enough to be a third-stringer suddenly become a backup, if not due to his alma mater? Was it the three interceptions in a single quarter last year that convinced you he's qualified? Or was it the sub-50% completion percentage in preseason that made you think, "Damn, that guy sails his passes like a superstar"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Here's one to start: Cam Newton, who's still better than either quarterback on our roster now. You're really gonna hate this and you'll hate it even more as you accept reality:

We cut the best quarterback on the roster in the preseason. And he's only a middling backup.

So let me pose some questions your way: what qualifications does P.J. Walker have to be an NFL backup? What makes Sam Tecklenburg qualified to be an NFL backup? What makes Sam Franklin qualified to be an NFL backup? Seen anything from Bravvion Roy?

Lol you've had some bad takes but this tops them all.

  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...