• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday's presser: Double down on Foxball

trueblade

Just now, CRA said:

Football is football.  A season like this will demand sacrifces to the football gods.   Tepper having his back won't change that.   That's just the NFL. 

Tepper is going to want butts is the seat.   Merch of the shelves.  Tepper needs the masses to believe a successful rebuild is in the works.   Just life of the NFL.   If things stay the current course, people will lose jobs.  Blame fair or unfair, is going to be placed on select folks. 

Should have kept Cam for that at a minimum then. I mean they couldn't have thought TB or Darnold was going to do that. 

Many more games like the Giants game and someone will be scapegoated for sure. Its not just losing it's how you look. 

9 minutes ago, Manna said:

Just to clarify, I too have given up on Darnold. He was put in a bad situation, probably not much better than his situation with the Jets. 
He can say what he wants publicly, but until then, I’ll believe he’s moved on when Darnold is out of the lineup permanently, and it doesn’t matter to me who he starts. 

That's kind of what I am trying to get across. There isn't a Plan B here at the moment. That's why all the smoke about Watson is getting thicker. PJ was never a real option, even had Darnold gotten injured as opposed to just simply being awful. 

It's Darnold or someone not on our roster. We aren't going to see PJ until the last couple of games of the season, regardless of how terrible Darnold is.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I think that was by design. At this point I would be fine never seeing Darnold play again. Its not like we're going to win anyway. The team has given up...its going to be really ugly from here out.

It was by design.  But... There are other players on the roster so the team has to try whatever it can ... and the terrifyingly sad reality is Darnold gives us a slightly better chance of moving the ball than PJ.  Is that saying much? No, lol.  But everyone knows PJ is only on this roster because of where he went to college.

We should have brought in a more seasoned vet qb, but it is what it is.  Or a competent OL.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, CRA said:

but my arguement isn't about being better than Sam.  If the season is lost, let's go ahead and prevent Rhule from bringing back more mistakes. 

If Rhule starts PJ and he is as bad as you say? Well, it prevents from bringing him back his Temple guy as backup for a 3rd straight season.  Why not clear out as much pointless weight in a pointless season as possible? 

if we never start PJ,  Rhule has the argument that PJ did his job the one time when called upon to actually do it.  The Lions game.   Why not take it away from him. 

I doubt anything will prevent him from bring PJ back. Knowing he can't play is no mystery to anyone because his argument will always be he's a backup and knows the system better than anyone.  It doesn't matter if he sucks in said system because be is forever crowned the backup until some serious competition is brought in to challenge that.  It's a rigged game and Rhules rules.

If, and that's a big IF,  they bring in more QBs in the offseason you will see if it signals a challenge to the hierarchy in the qb room.

• Pie 1

The one thing I will at least give PJ is that he is decisive with the ball and he doesn't hold onto it like Darnold seems to. Now, it's a 60/40 good to bad decisions with the pass and about 40/60 good to bad passes. So, if we can somehow combine Darnold and PJ into one player, we'd have a QB as good as Brock Osweiler.

46 minutes ago, CRA said:

Rhule knows he is about to have to go into mitgation mode in the near future for the clusterfug of a season he is about to have.   That's what is becoming clear by the why he is tweaking his talking.   He is going to have to start throwing people under the bus for his own sake.   That's what NFL guys do.    

What bodies and when will be the question.  Which story for the blame will make him look the least bad. 

coach is not talking scared...if he gets fired today, he walks away with tens of millions and takes the next big time college job that comes open...he has a 7 yr contract and hasn't even gotten thru the 2nd year

he is legitimately trying to figure out how to win, & he knows he doesn't have the players to do it right now, & the ones he does have are not performing

17 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

coach is not talking scared...if he gets fired today, he walks away with tens of millions and takes the next big time college job that comes open...he has a 7 yr contract and hasn't even gotten thru the 2nd year

he is legitimately trying to figure out how to win, & he knows he doesn't have the players to do it right now, & the ones he does have are not performing

I didn't say he was talking scared.  That's you.  I said he knows he is about to go into damage control in the near future for this clusterfug of a season.  It's what NFL coaches do.   And I am pretty sure being paid lots of money has never stopped coaches from trying to protect their image and rep when things get...bad by throwing folks under the bus for the mess that was made by them.  

I refuse to believe that man anymore.

He really is opposite man.  Every time he says something the complete opposite happens.  There's just so much BS ; he doesn't even seem bought into his own shtick anymore. Let's see..

• Says we'll incorporate Shi Smith into the run game and be a run heavy team; proceeds to run a fraction of the time and with a passing game focus on Keith Kirkwood and force feeding a now unreliable Robby.
  • So many instances of hyping said player only for them to either be released or nothing happens
  • Admission of how and when opposing teams played chess to our checkers (Like don't admit this stuff, it opens the windows to your scheming; or lack thereof)
  • Missed assignments and no leaders on offense (The missed assignments showcase bad coaching)

The biggest thing is the sheer lack of focus and ill-preparedness.  It seems worse than last season.  Foxball actually worked (during that era) when it was well executed, had the play action groove going with Smitty and Moose.  Had an awesome primary back with fun young compliments.  Diverse misdirects, counters, belly runs, etc.  

We are diving and stretch running.  And our spread offense strangely leaves so many guys outside in the shallow flat; in areas primed for sideline interceptions.  And the slant routes are in the kill zone.  Not deep or short enough.  Leading WRs into a fricken LB rocket launch.   

It's a bad playbook.  Like a poor man's Andy Reid system.  This is coming from an offensive coach, with a supposed rising OC future HC, and some of the worst current QB play in the league. Yuckers.

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Only one man is out there on the coaching horizon can turn this sinking ship around and rescue us from a 4-13 season and bring us to the brink of 7-10 ,8-9, 9-8. I present to you...the great Jeff Fisher

images.jpg

But I want to keep our 3-14 record this season.