• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where Are We Really -- One Season and 7 Games Into It...

SetfreexX

If the second year is worse than the first you have to question if there should be a third.

I just can't see how this crew turns it around at this point. To many questionable personal decisions and coaching decisions. Maybe of course, I just can't see it.

• Pie 2

It is pretty obvious that Rhule is in over his head. His terrible personal decisions over the past 2 seasons have left a lot to be desired. 
Only coach I like is Snow. But Darnold is another bust and Brady may of been too inexperienced to give an OC job. 
As of right now I think the is coaching staff needs to be shown the door if we keep falling. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

We've built an impressive defense and still have talent on offense. I like our roster quite a bit better than 2020. The biggest concern is that we made our biggest weaknesses so much weaker(QB, OL). 

Run defense is still a concern, as it has not improved much. I think maybe some tinkering with scheme could be in order there or just simply improvements in personnel. 

Sadly, I don't see a lot of help coming in 2022 because we gutted our draft capital so much. It's likely we only see a single player with day one capability with our current picks. So, they are really going to have to scramble in free agency to make 2022 better than 2021 appears to be going. 

I have a great deal of concern that we end up overspending in free agency in 2022 and show signs of panic. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I will fault them for the QB decisions, I think that is obvious; IMO they tried to skip the develop franchise QB part using rookie QB success rates long term as the catalyst (50% bust rate). 

However with that same logic they should have known where Darnold stood, the NFL isn't ''another man's trash, is another man's treasure league''. 

People forget, Tannehill was good before Gase and even earned the extension, he regressed with Gase, too many people made the assumption Sam was the same, Sam was really never good. 

The OL acquisitions, well when you look at the OL FA landscape this past off-season it was BARREN. I can only hold them accountable so much in that regard given the lack of available quality guys. They chased traits thinking they could coach it up, same with Darnold. It hasn't worked. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The way Darnolds been handled is the strangest part of all of this. If we're going to treat him like a rookie, and expect him to perform like one, then having PJ as a backup makes no sense. Darnold would need to sit and learn behind someone or from coaches, which he supposedly lacked with the Jets. 

You don't go and extend him for 18m as a "rookie". It's like paying bloated contracts to QBs 15 years ago because they were the first pick. That's essentially what we did. 

If it's possible with all the VR tech out there now, I'm putting Sam in a simulation constantly making him learn to see defenses from the field over and over again. There's only so much you can work on in practices. 

In some areas we're better than we were, in others well, we know. Coaching players up only goes so far in the NFL. These are all higher end players already and you can only bring them so far. They either have it or they don't. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Sadly, I don't see a lot of help coming in 2022 because we gutted our draft capital so much. It's likely we only see a single player with day one capability with our current picks. So, they are really going to have to scramble in free agency to make 2022 better than 2021 appears to be going. 

If you're looking for a silver lining, 2022 free agency may be it.  We have a TON of dead money coming off the books this spring so we should be in a much better position to pick up quality players.

image.png.323dea26a83c0eb6632c6c15a127a9e9.png

Next year our dead cap is 7 million or so.

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, BrianS said:

If you're looking for a silver lining, 2022 free agency may be it.  We have a TON of dead money coming off the books this spring so we should be in a much better position to pick up quality players.

image.png.323dea26a83c0eb6632c6c15a127a9e9.png

Next year our dead cap is 7 million or so.

Yeah, I just don't want to see some panic signings for too much money. They have already invested way too much in bad players in Teddy, Darnold, Erving and Elflein. 

It's odd because they have generally made solid financial decisions.

• Pie 3