• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake on Sam

ladypanther

5 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah I told people PJ isn’t an nfl qb but everyone said oh no give him a chance lol.

I wanted to keep Grier. As hapless as he looked last year, he clearly outplayed PJ in the preseason. I mean, Grier isn't a legit fallback plan either but if we're choosing between the two, Grier was the better looking QB.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, BurnNChinn said:

What about the qb coach Sean Ryan isn’t he suppose to be working with him and getting this stuff fixed. I don’t think it will change imo, he is just not going to be a good qb. I was rough on Teddy but damn this is worse.

An off-season and 7 games, versus 3 years of bad habits....Sam looked good early but he wasn't being hit / pressured too much. 

As soon as he started to take a few hits / sacks it was a slow decent ala Carr in HOU, I think Sam is shell-shocked and there is nothing to salvage, I think he is what he is, and the answer to that is ''not good''.

• Beer 1

Look at what has happened to Mahomes after all the pressure he faced in the Super Bowl. Still putting up good numbers,  but his interception number has gone way up. Any QB, who's dealt with the pressure Darnold has in his career, is going to suffer from bad decisions and happy feet. Solution. Fix the o-line, or get a QB, that can be successful under that kind of pressure

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Geno6316 said:

Look at what has happened to Mahomes after all the pressure he faced in the Super Bowl. Still putting up good numbers,  but his interception number has gone way up. Any QB, who's dealt with the pressure Darnold has in his career, is going to suffer from bad decisions and happy feet. Solution. Fix the o-line, or get a QB, that can be successful under that kind of pressure

Mahomes and Reid keep slanting more and more to Mahomes playing hero ball.   That's KC's biggest problem IMO.    Reid's willingness to have the offense turn into the Mahomes haymaker show. 

I think Sam could have used of sitting behind someone for a year and really learning the playbook, working on his mechanics, and getting rid of the PTSD.   Putting him behind this offensive line in a new scheme was the worst approach possible for a reclamation project.  

3 minutes ago, Geno6316 said:

Yep, this.

We're trying to rehab Darnold from a situation where he had entirely too much pressure on him from a horrible offensive line.  So we then put him behind a line that arguably might be even worse?  How was that EVER supposed to work?

Darnold is Colin Kaepernick minus all the political baggage and a good offensive line.  As Kaep's Oline fell off, he started to get exposed for what he was.  A one read runner.

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article255311226.html#storylink=cpy

I think that Brady has to remember that Sam is a rehab project and set him up for more success. (Of course all the drops are not helping either).  Brady abandoning the run game and putting the game on the arm of Darnold with a line who cannot protect is just not very smart.  He continues to do this while his head coach is telling the world that the team needs to run the ball.  Makes no sense.

If Jake is right, Sam needs help from Brady.  If one fails they both fail.  I doubt Brady gets any HC interviews this year unless it is at LSU.

But after four years, how do you help? 

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

This thread went from having hope to just off the rails with Mahomes and Kaepernick. Darnold has never been a good starting qb and you can rattle off the names of any other quarterback but the truth remains.

Behind a putrid offensive line he was having success. With that line CMC needs to play, without him, the better defenses are just having fun and teeing off

when we are ahead, sam has been fine.  Need a 2 TD fourth quarter to win--we do not have the oline or the scheme to do that--based on Darnold's perceived limitations.

It sure seems as if Darnold's issues are mental/cognitive.  He abandons technique and cant figure out why the passes are errant.  He seems to be failing to throw the ball when the WRs are open---that is a confidence issue.  Not good.