• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wednesday Press Conference

trueblade

38 minutes ago, Mage said:

Bro... it's just a press conference.

Look, I've been the optimist around here for years and years. Just, right now, I'm not feeling it. I just can't believe in the guy, the process and what he's building. There are tons of excuses for why it's not working out, but we're pretty much down to a bare cupboard here. 

We are honestly looking at sending in a former Temple/semi-pro QB to stand up to a Bill Belichick team. Our starter would make a passable emergency second string QB and Walker couldn't walk on and win a jersey at many Division III college teams. 

We have no offensive line, just four turnstiles and a hard corner to turn on the right side. We picked up two veteran starters and drafted two folks they called "great prospects" and have actually managed to post a different lineup every damned week for the o-line. None of the eight iterations have worked. At all.

Our lead TE this year was the third string TE here for the rest of his tenure in a Panther uniform -- he got the starting gig not because he earned it but because he was the last one of the experienced guys left. We've got a rookie with some promise at TE2 but they don't seem to use him as much as you'd think.

Our WRs have the dropsies. Not just one of them, but all of them. Every single one of them. Our star RB/WR pulled a hammy and he's been harder for the coach to get a date with than Katy Perry. We do have a pretty good rookie RB2, but our OC only calls running plays in protest or when the HC threatens to take away his WiFi privileges. 

Our defense is mighty stout, as long as we have Shaq Thompson out there. If he's not there, then opponents RBs literally run over us again and again. We have 74 DBs on the team. 

We're on our third kicker since the start of training camp and our third punter. We have one guy on Special Teams that seems to understand the game of football and it's not the ST coach. 

On the management front, our GM is "in on every deal" but somehow can't manage to actually secure one for positions of need. He will trade away a TE for a DB who may or may not like football anymore, and draft picks for guys who are immediately on the IR. He saw a decent guard from KC head to the Jets and didn't even raise a finger to get him. QB concussed and unable to play with no one to step in? No trades, no pickups of vets sitting at home on their couch... not even a Vinnie Testaverde call.

Yeah, it was just a press conference. It reminded me of one held by Dan Quayle. Just a guy who seems to be in over his head and repeating the mantra of how cool it is to be here and how he gets to see some of the great coaches he admires each week. 

I just can't believe in him anymore. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 3
  • Poo 1

Just now, Khyber53 said:

Look, I've been the optimist around here for years and years. Just, right now, I'm not feeling it. I just can't believe in the guy, the process and what he's building. There are tons of excuses for why it's not working out, but we're pretty much down to a bare cupboard here. 

We are honestly looking at sending in a former Temple/semi-pro QB to stand up to a Bill Belichick team. Our starter would make a passable emergency second string QB and Walker couldn't walk on and win a jersey at many Division III college teams. 

We have no offensive line, just four turnstiles and a hard corner to turn on the right side. We picked up two veteran starters and drafted two folks they called "great prospects" and have actually managed to post a different lineup every damned week for the o-line. None of the eight iterations have worked. At all.

Our lead TE this year was the third string TE here for the rest of his tenure in a Panther uniform -- he got the starting gig not because he earned it but because he was the last one of the experienced guys left. We've got a rookie with some promise at TE2 but they don't seem to use him as much as you'd think.

Our WRs have the dropsies. Not just one of them, but all of them. Every single one of them. Our star RB/WR pulled a hammy and he's been harder for the coach to get a date with than Katy Perry. We do have a pretty good rookie RB2, but our OC only calls running plays in protest or when the HC threatens to take away his WiFi privileges. 

Our defense is mighty stout, as long as we have Shaq Thompson out there. If he's not there, then opponents RBs literally run over us again and again. We have 74 DBs on the team. 

We're on our third kicker since the start of training camp and our third punter. We have one guy on Special Teams that seems to understand the game of football and it's not the ST coach. 

On the management front, our GM is "in on every deal" but somehow can't manage to actually secure one for positions of need. He will trade away a TE for a DB who may or may not like football anymore, and draft picks for guys who are immediately on the IR. He saw a decent guard from KC head to the Jets and didn't even raise a finger to get him. QB concussed and unable to play with no one to step in? No trades, no pickups of vets sitting at home on their couch... not even a Vinnie Testaverde call.

Yeah, it was just a press conference. It reminded me of one held by Dan Quayle. Just a guy who seems to be in over his head and repeating the mantra of how cool it is to be here and how he gets to see some of the great coaches he admires each week. 

Bro, it's a press conference.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

football is weird sometimes.  Check out last week, most passing yards on the week was dude named Matt White from the Jets.    Patrick Mahomes, if you knew nothing about him, looked like a problmatic QB with a boatload of issues vs the Giants.   Claim that before the week kicked off and someone would claim you know nothing about fotoball. 

Unlikely events like those are things that make the NFL interesting at times.  About the time one thinks they have everything figured out, games like those leaves a person  shaking their head in disbelief.

16 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I realize you've given up on Rhule, but most of what you listed has nothing to do with him.  CMC and Shaq being out, Darnold concussed, WRs dropping balls, Punter getting hurt, Kicker suddenly sucking. 

He's been here less than 2 years.  When he got here, we had one of the most inept GMs in football and the team had completely quit.  He had to figure out which guys were worth keeping and which ones needed to go in order to change the culture.  He's completely overturned the roster in two offseasons.  We have something like 12 guys left from the Rivera era.   

He's also had to deal with crippling dead cap - $54m in 2020 and $49m this year.

If you go back and look at our 2019 roster, every position group was an area of need.  LB was ok, until Luke decided to retire.  So he's addressed the DL (Jones, Brown, YGM, Fox), LB (Reddick, Luvu), Secondary (Gilmore, Horn, Chinn, Burris, Bouye, Henderson), WR (Robbie, Marshall), TE (Arnold, Tremble).  He's added some talent to the RB room and tried to address QB with mixed results. 

The only group he hasn't been able to address so far is the OL.  I don't think for a minute he or fitterer thought they were in good shape there.  They just didn't have the resources to address this with everything else.  That's why they said they were looking at a 5-year rebuild as opposed to a 1-year or 2-year rebuild.

I suspect the OL will be the top priority in 2022.  Then maybe QB in 2023 if we don't snag watson in the off-season.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, BlackPanther21_ said:

Scott Fowler has been a clown for quite a while, I would take that with a grain of salt.

I live near Scott Fowler and can 100% confirm he is absolutely the clown he comes across to be.

I use to coach against him and he was shady and always wanting and thinking the refs should help him out since he was a "local celebrity"...

Anyway, the only thing positive I can say if his boys are good, respectful young men (I'm assuming due to the mother)

I'm trying to warn you guys while PJ is a great story and he seems like a good dude,  he is NOT a good QB and isn't even a quality backup in the NFL. 

He threw one of the worst INTs I have ever seen in my life last year against the Lions. Here nearly blew the game against ATL with a terrible red zone INT. 

He makes Sam look like a good decision maker and Sam has throw some god awful picks this year. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

football is weird sometimes.  Check out last week, most passing yards on the week was dude named Matt White from the Jets.    Patrick Mahomes, if you knew nothing about him, looked like a problmatic QB with a boatload of issues vs the Giants.   Claim that before the week kicked off and someone would claim you know nothing about fotoball. 

All true…let’s just say I’m not optimistic 

our best player, our starting QB both out

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

If you want to focus on the negative points, you will have plenty to pick form. The 3-0 start and Thomas Davis going full retard, almost made me forget where the 2020 panthers came form.(I had them as a 7-10 team, looking a tad better). You have the history and IQ, they lost nearly 60% stats and impact players. You can not fix all the issues in two years. I mean right now- QB is 50/50(better than Cam/teddy/______), OL(every single team needs/looking for OL), TE, and LBs. The depth at DL could need some help, but compared to 2020 its day/night. 

Team is younger and talents are all around. They figure out how to get a decent OL, a TE that defensives have to guard/respect some..... and the QB Sam becomes the one/sign a Jake/________ . This team is fighting for a playoff spot(not a home one...). 2022 was my guess if things are going well and I think they are(truth). 

Im was not a Rhule fan and can not stand his lying during pressers. Still that 2020 team fought every week and except 10 quarters they were in each game. Not the same feels this year, but overall talent has improved and the best part is the age. Brady is figuring out how to call a game when he doesnt have an huge talent advantage. Snow is carrying the whole team with a young group. ST has been trash, Zane has helped cover for Blackburn.

Im still willing to give Rhule another full season, my god he had the hardest start in NFL history and came away standing. Team has improved and right now week 8 they are 1 win away form matching last seasons total. Yea they should already have passed the win total, but they have improved the core talents and should have more wins than 2020. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, grimesgoat said:

I realize you've given up on Rhule, but most of what you listed has nothing to do with him.  CMC and Shaq being out, Darnold concussed, WRs dropping balls, Punter getting hurt, Kicker suddenly sucking. 

He's been here less than 2 years.  When he got here, we had one of the most inept GMs in football and the team had completely quit.  He had to figure out which guys were worth keeping and which ones needed to go in order to change the culture.  He's completely overturned the roster in two offseasons.  We have something like 12 guys left from the Rivera era.   

He's also had to deal with crippling dead cap - $54m in 2020 and $49m this year.

If you go back and look at our 2019 roster, every position group was an area of need.  LB was ok, until Luke decided to retire.  So he's addressed the DL (Jones, Brown, YGM, Fox), LB (Reddick, Luvu), Secondary (Gilmore, Horn, Chinn, Burris, Bouye, Henderson), WR (Robbie, Marshall), TE (Arnold, Tremble).  He's added some talent to the RB room and tried to address QB with mixed results. 

The only group he hasn't been able to address so far is the OL.  I don't think for a minute he or fitterer thought they were in good shape there.  They just didn't have the resources to address this with everything else.  That's why they said they were looking at a 5-year rebuild as opposed to a 1-year or 2-year rebuild.

I suspect the OL will be the top priority in 2022.  Then maybe QB in 2023 if we don't snag watson in the off-season.

No bringing in Teddy and Darnold is all on him!