• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady

ncfan

10 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Not going ot defend OL or QB... but I will say Joe Brady has been pretty bad. He recycles his playbook and runs multiple plays twice per game. His run concepts are very vanilla, and a bad QB has nothing to do with that. Look at how many motion and misdirection pre-snap run plays the patriots did on us on Sunday.  They were lining up two runningback and motioning one outside to pull shaq out of the box. They were running the slot reciever and TE for fake jet sweeps to get the NB running the wrong direction. Joe Brady hasnt shown a single sign of any creativity like this.

Then lets take the Giants game as an example. Just as bad of a qb and o line. They were moving the pocket at the snap. Running away from the pass rush and getting jones time to throw. poo, on one play they brought an extra lineman in to come in motion to the right side to be an extra blocker for Daniel Jones as he rolled right (with his linemane) to setup a quick hit on the boundary line.

These are microsamples of what Joe Brady just has not shown us. There is ayoutube video that was shared on this message board showing Joe Brady's receiver route trees are elementary. Some times we have 3 recievers all within 5 yards of each other.

The OL has been mediocre, and QB play along with it.... but JB has just been outright bad.

Daniel Jones isn't good, but he's waaaaay better than Darnold. It's definitely not an apples and apples comparison.

I'm not absolving Brady of all blame, but he looked way better last year with a more physically limited but much smarter QB.

I just don't know that any OC could make this dumpster fire of an offensive roster work.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It can't get much worse than 3 points against the Giants and 6 points against the Patriots. 

well, if the implosion starts earlier it technically can get worse.  So instead of it being within reach at the half and ending up 18 or 22 points loss....well, you get blown the heck out super early. 

So instead of a 24-6 loss where we delusionaly think we have a chance for a large part of the game...the opponent puts up 48 on you quick.   48-3 feels worse.  Especially when they are running out the clock for an entire quarter out of pity because it was over even earlier than the Giants or Pats game. 

It can always get worse.  

44 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I've said this before (not that it matters) but a good OC would find a way to make it work....to make something work. I'm sure he's smart, but he's lacking experience and an ability to adjust, adapt, and situationally scheme and play call.

Move on.

How? the Panthers do nothing well on offense, there is nothing to adjust too.  It is impossible to properly judge Joe Brady with how bad everything in this offense is. 

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

Joe Brady can draw up winner plays.   

This bit here (after I fixed it) I agree with. 

However - we have no evidence to suggest that he is capable of calling the right plays.  We have no evidence to suggest he is able to work around shortcomings in his team.  All we know is that he can create plays, and with excellent players those plays bring success at the college level.

Edited by BrianS

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So most of the plays ran against us when Luke was here were bad plays? 

Comparing one future HOF LB call out plays of teams to Multiple players from multiple teams calling plays out of 1 teams is comparing apples and oranges

• Pie 3

15 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Comparing one future HOF LB call out plays of teams to Multiple players from multiple teams calling plays out of 1 teams is comparing apples and oranges

Luke wasn't actually unique in that though.  He was just our guy.  So we hear about folks talking about him doing it.  Players all over the league have guys calling out plays for there teammates. 

Remember the Clay Matthews/Cam exchange?  I mean Clay had it all down in reality.  The NFL mics just happend to pick it all up.  That stuff is routine in the NFL. The Panthers just barely tweaked the play Matthews knew what we were doing.   It was clear design pass to CMC.  It was just a slight variation of it.  And CMC could of just kept running the wheel route....it would have been just as open in the end as the audibled/variation route despite Matthews signaling it was coming to him. 

it's also why Romo can sit in the both or Peyton and Eli watch a game together on MNF and just call out a bunch of plays with a high rate of success for any team that shows up.  And none of those guys have studied those offenses.  They spent a career studying defenses.   It's the NFL.  There is only so much stuff guys can run on people and the scenario is just going to dictate certian plays.  

Every time we went to a Super Bowl....our opponents often knew what we were doing then too.  We just had the talent where we could beat them with it.    Teams often know what Peyton or Brady were doing all these years too.   Could they they stop them being successful is another story. 

The problem for Carolina is we don't have a QB or OL to pull off hardly anything.  and you should be able to run plays that a defense knows is coming.  That's a lot of what running the ball is.   Pass game too.  Boils down to math and forcing a defender to commit to someone....and going where he didn't.   Doesn't matter if he knows the play.  He is forced to commit where the math puts someone open.  But that requries a QB that can figure that out. 

we are too predictable of late, but our talent IMO has forced us into that.  But calling out plays in general isn't some oddity in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

I was amazed at how little motion I saw pre-snap yesterday. More than to change up the defense, you motion to get the defense to show their coverage. Darnold could have certainly used that information.

I thought this was what Brady was all about.. but I might be getting that confused with CMC's 1000/1000 season.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

as an offensive coordinator, what play do you call when, your oline cant block, your qb cant throw, and your all star running back has a bad wheel.

Worse teams have had better success in the NFL. Keep sucking Brady's cock but in two years with two different OL and QBs he has underperformed. 

The Dilemma  isn't all Joe's fault, Or Sam's. Its a combination of things. I really think it goes to Rhule more than anyone. He seems to follow the philosophy that it doesn.t matter what plays you call, if the players do their job and execute the plays then they will work (not taking into consideration that we don't have the kind of QB or O-line that can execute those obvious plays better than the defense can execute stopping them. I remember the Washington team that ran counter 3 plays 4O times a game with Riggins, Smith or Rogers and everyone knew it was coming but good defenses couldn't stop it. 

IMO Rhule (and Brady) have not accurately schemed plays our team can execute well enough to work even if the opposing D knows they are coming. They should be working on wrinkles, and adjustments but instead they "Trust the process" and keep coaching up players hoping they can execute the same few plays at an elite level. I just don't think its ever gonna happen.

See the source image

1 hour ago, CRA said:

well, imagine if Joe Brady isn't a main problem.  Yeah, he needs some situational work but that again is to be expected. 

So what happens if you scapegoat Joe Brady this early and then Rhule inserts one of his Baylor buddies as the interim OC....and it gets even worse (which it can).   Brady is attempting to hold back the implosion until as late as possible right now.   So it could come earlier in games and be worse. 

Yep

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I honestly am both surprised and amazed that he is still employed after yesterday...  that isn't just reactive fan speak, I legitimately and objectively don't see how they did not fire him today.  I fully expected it.  

And the longer he remains employed, the more sure I am that Rhule isn't an NFL coach either.

Going off CRA's post, what good does it do Rhule to fire him now? The answer is nothing, especially if things stay the same or get worse. Who does Rhule blame or sacrifice at the end of the season if Brady is already gone? Rhule will wait it out and fire Brady at the end of the season if Brady doesn't walk on his own. Blaming the OC will only work once to save an HC's job if the owner and GM have a lick of sense.

56 minutes ago, CRA said:

it's also why Romo can sit in the both or Peyton and Eli watch a game together on MNF and just call out a bunch of plays with a high rate of success for any team that shows up.  And none of those guys have studied those offenses.  They spent a career studying defenses.   It's the NFL.  There is only so much stuff guys can run on people and the scenario is just going to dictate certian plays.  

Erm, what do you think Romo and the Mannings do during the week?

Here's Greg Olsen doing it in his new role:

29 minutes ago, Michael G said:

The Dilemma  isn't all Joe's fault, Or Sam's. Its a combination of things. I really think it goes to Rhule more than anyone. He seems to follow the philosophy that it doesn.t matter what plays you call, if the players do their job and execute the plays then they will work (not taking into consideration that we don't have the kind of QB or O-line that can execute those obvious plays better than the defense can execute stopping them. I remember the Washington team that ran counter 3 plays 4O times a game with Riggins, Smith or Rogers and everyone knew it was coming but good defenses couldn't stop it. 

IMO Rhule (and Brady) have not accurately schemed plays our team can execute well enough to work even if the opposing D knows they are coming. They should be working on wrinkles, and adjustments but instead they "Trust the process" and keep coaching up players hoping they can execute the same few plays at an elite level. I just don't think its ever gonna happen.

See the source image

It's Rhule's fault in the sense that he handed over the reigns of his offence to a green OC. Now it's his job to sack said OC and replace him with someone that knows what they're doing.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1