• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seriously though what the hell were they thinking picking up Darnold's 5th year option?

6 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Someone posted on here the other day we could still get out of the option idk if that’s true. I was just reading what someone found on nfl rules site.

We can't.  They were likely posting the old rules about the 5th-year option.  It used to be guaranteed only for injury (a big part of why RG3 was inactive for all of 2015) and/or when the new league year starts.  However it is now guaranteed as soon as you exercise it.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, Mage said:

We can't.  They were likely posting the old rules about the 5th-year option.  It used to be guaranteed only for injury (a big part of why RG3 was inactive for all of 2015) and/or when the new league year starts.  However it is now guaranteed as soon as you exercise it.

Yep I think he posted old one.

The only way I could swing it is that having that money towards him in 2022 was because if we fail with him, we're going with a rookie's contract.  Therefore, at the least, thinking Sam was a stop gap/backup (apparently not) and his 5th yr option+rookie contract is pretty average, if not, a tad less than most QB rooms in the league.

We could still structure a back-heavy deal with a vet if we go that route but that pretty much set us out of contention for a top FA QB.  But were any of them really coming here anyways?

Sam is a negative asset so we'll need to pair him with a future pick to get that 5th year off our hands for a late rounder.  

Just now, Waldo said:

They really thought Sam was a great answer. That's the scary part, not pissing away 19 mil next year. It was a bad evaluation, a bad trade and a bad option pickup. We can eat dead cap like the best of them but the evaluation and how sure they were is terrifying. 

They will trade him to someone for a 2024 7th and eat 16 mil of that mistake. 

Thanks, and I just started sleeping better…

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1