• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tough medicine to swallow

Khyber53

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Tepper told Rhule Cam would be the QB to finish the season.  That’s what happened.  

all this talk by Rhule that Tepper has nothing to do with anything is bunk.  

and we shouldn’t let the fact Cam returned erase the horrific failure of Rhule at the QB position.  

I don't think Tepper told Rhule to do anything. If Rhule has shown us anything, he has shown to sit/cut/bench players that are not performing. The first person that comes to mind is Whitehead. EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOMMA could see how bad Whitehead was but nobody said that Tepper forced Rhule to bench Whitehead. He signed Denzel Perryman. He wasn't performing. He was injured. He got rid of him. Same thing happened with Sam. Give Rhule's past history, I don't think he would have stayed with Sam much longer.

Yes you are correct that Rhule failed at the QB position but at the same time he hit on positions on the defense. He shouldn't have let Cam walked but he did. I don't like how they released Cam but they did. If they would have gotten Stafford I don't think we would be having this conversation.

• Pie 4

16 minutes ago, TF330 said:

I think we're giving him too much credit. He's not doing it to admit he's wrong, he's doing it to keep his job. 

I know Tepper committed a ton of money to Rhule but another losing season, especially with a top 3 defense in the NFL? If we had rolled with PJ and Darnold and Rhule was somehow kept, then next season would have been the hottest of seats. 

Rhule is smart enough to know to get to the playoffs now and cool the seat a bit while not wasting potentially the best defense we've had in decades

We are in a 2nd season of a rebuild and the coach is on the hot seat because of back to back losing seasons? We already matched our win total from last year with a chance to win more. I would say that this team is headed into the right direction.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Darknight said:

I don't think Tepper told Rhule to do anything. If Rhule has shown us anything, he has shown to sit/cut/bench players that are not performing. The first person that comes to mind is Whitehead. EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOMMA could see how bad Whitehead was but nobody said that Tepper forced Rhule to bench Whitehead. He signed Denzel Perryman. He wasn't performing. He was injured. He got rid of him. Same thing happened with Sam. Give Rhule's past history, I don't think he would have stayed with Sam much longer.

Yes you are correct that Rhule failed at the QB position but at the same time he hit on positions on the defense. He shouldn't have let Cam walked but he did. I don't like how they released Cam but they did. If they would have gotten Stafford I don't think we would be having this conversation.

The backward looking/thinking lately has been pretty weird tbh. We're building a good team and have stacked talent and tried to get numerous QBs. It really is just corny to see people act as if this isn't the case. Now his in game coaching is what to stay looking at as he hasn't been impressive at all in that regard going back to last year.

We were thinking if Rhule was about to lose the locker room but watch the interviews...they are quoting Rhule and his rhetoric(including Cam already) and I doubt people have noticed b/c they just see the make believe poo they come up with.

5 minutes ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

Scared Super Troopers GIF

The idiom police.

Well yea that popo is better than the grammar police. "Tough synthetic medicinal chemistry to swallow" doesn't exactly flow.

Edited by Fox007
  • Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Darknight said:

We are in a 2nd season of a rebuild and the coach is on the hot seat because of back to back losing seasons? We already matched our win total from last year with a chance to win more. I would say that this team is headed into the right direction.

I would say now we're headed in the right direction but do you think anyone would have been thrilled if we had lost to arizona and not gotten cam? we would end up 7-10 probably. I didn't say he would be fired but yeah two losing seasons and wasting a top tier defense and completely whiffing at the QB position 2 times is good enough to warrant a hot seat after two years I believe, especially when you're making that kind of money

• Pie 3

I just can't believe Rhule would call Cam all on his own volition.  His answer at the QB position was Sam.  When that failed, his answer was PJ and Barkley.  If Tepper did nothing and told him his job was safe, I guarantee you we'd be riding those two to the end of the year.  I think Rhule's failure at the QB position got a bit of his roster control taken away.  Do I think he dislikes Cam?  No.  I just don't see him swallowing his pride, all by himself, to call Cam in the middle of the season.

The biggest silver lining of this all for Rhule is maybe he will work as a head coach without so much roster control.

• Pie 5

18 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m not sure if this is the norm but rhule said in his presser that he watched cams presser after the game. That struck me as weird but maybe it’s not. I don’t think rhule wanted cam back here tbh. 

I think Rhule has always been worried that it would be Cam's team, not his, from the get go.

And there's the thing about good coaching, errrr great coaching, in the NFL. The Patriots had always been Brady's team. The Steelers had always been Big Ben's team. The Seahawks are Wilson's team, the Chiefs are undoubtedly Mahome's guys. All of those teams have master level coaches and are always contenders. There's a subtle thing there about leadership and command, that in the best of situations the two can be different entities. All of those coaches empower their QBs to be the leader of the team. 

And when there's a question of "Who runs Bartertown" so to say, you can end up with a situation that we've seen twice in Green Bay, once when the organization let McCarthy go for Rodgers and this spring/summer when Rodgers laid down the law for them again. Both of those situations were tenuous and it's a marvel that they didn't explode in the franchise's faces.

Or look at Houston and really see how bad it can get.

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

His answer at the QB position was Sam.

No his answer was Stafford and then Watson, they just changed the test on us. About as ignant as it gets to act as if Sam was option 1 or even 2. It wasn't.

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

I think Rhule has always been worried that it would be Cam's team, not his, from the get go.

This is what it was. The new regime wanted their voice to be the biggest voice on the team and install their way. Cam is already established in the locker room and city so if Rhule was saying this or that and Cam went the other way they would all go with Cam. I doubt it would have ever been a problem but that's one of the reasons new regimes tend to clear out the old guard.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Yeah, it's all just fan fiction at this point.

I throw mine out there.

I heard from a very reliable source that Cam called Tepper and Rhule and DEMANDED to be brought back. Rhule immediately agreed, because he was hypnotized by swagger the likes of which he'd never witnessed. Tepper signed off on it because he admired the "giant brass balls" approach. He then lit a cigar with a hundred dollar bill and said, "Just win, Cammy!" 

• Beer 2
  • Flames 2

Just now, Fox007 said:

No his answer was Stafford and then Watson, they just changed the test on us. About as ignant as it gets to act as if Sam was option 1 or even 2. It wasn't.

Those aren't legit options.  They were outside shots at best.  Neither player is willing to play for this team.  His first answer was Teddy over Cam, which was also a whiff.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

I really don't care about who or when or what to be honest. However it happened I just don't care right now. 

Come on, man! Don't you want to get in on the narrative building? This board needs another two page wall of text from one of our many amateur sportswriters, telling us exactly who made what decisions and who is on the hot seat. 

Seriously though, thank you for your brevity. 

• Flames 1

20 minutes ago, t96 said:

This is very possible but also very troubling. Meddling owners are a huge issue and Tepper is no different. I understand we're all fans of the Cam move, it made sense and was a good move this time even if it doesn't save our season. But if it was Tepper making the call that does not bode well at all for this team's future.

Not sure which is worse for us, a meddling owner or the scenario where the owner HAS to force Rhule to make a better move at QB.

Neither are good, that is for sure.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1