• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule plans to rotate QBs like RBs

NAS

4 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I'm not sure what all the hand wringing is about PJ did a good job last week against a good defense and has ran this offense for 2 years. 

1 INT, another INT that was dropped/bobbled, and a third near miss INT. That's the concern with PJ. You're holding your breath every time he drops back.

It depends on how they play. PJ is a better west coast style passer and Cam is much better in an rpo. Why not scheme up plays for both and see what works best. The competition should bring out the best in both of them. If one is struggling bring in the other.  Whoever is bringing the juice should play.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

"If a team has 2 QB,s they can rotate,they are blessed indeed"

_ Kats Azz

Maybe. But they need to hand the team over to one or the other. Either give it to Cam or give it to PJ and use Cam for special packages. Needs to be a clear leader.

2 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Maybe. But they need to hand the team over to one or the other. Either give it to Cam or give it to PJ and use Cam for special packages. Needs to be a clear leader.

I think there is a clear leader at this point and I don't think who is on the field matters all that much in regards to that.

• Pie 3

5 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

I disagree Cam can provide that spark and edge to the offense and be a force in the run game and red zone,  and PJ can implement the full game plan that Brady wants to run. 

Washington now has to prepare for everything and not a dialed down version of the playbook.

Every single player in the NFL will tell you the best way to get better is consistent reps. If we are being realistic and not looking through rose-tinted glasses at the offense because we won last week PJ Walker put the ball in harms way multiple times last week and we got lucky where they dropped two INTs and only caught one. Cam was a cool story but the truth is we can likely score from where he scored as long as CMC is in the game. 

Cam needs full reps. That's why he got them this week. Because he can't learn the offense when PJ takes away from his reps. Likewise, PJ isn't going to improve running with the second team all the time. If you only have Cam work in the and-short situations then you are screwed in Walker gets hurt. I think most people of sound mind understand Cam Newton is still a far superior QB and leader than PJ Walker. Cam should be getting 90+% of first team reps and it should be of the entire offense. 

Nobody really runs a two QB system and there is a reason for that. PJ has had literally one good showing in his entire career in the NFL. Every appearance has been below league average until this last week. There is very little reason to believe he can continue to keep this going. Mike White looked good in a spot. Josh Johnson as well. PJ should only be in the game if its a blowout or if Cam is hurt. 

There is way more cons than pros for running a two QB "system" with one of those QBs being PJ Walker. Everything PJ can do, Cam can do. So by having to practice for Cam Newton you are practicing for Cam and PJ anyway. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

58 minutes ago, Varking said:

Every single player in the NFL will tell you the best way to get better is consistent reps. If we are being realistic and not looking through rose-tinted glasses at the offense because we won last week PJ Walker put the ball in harms way multiple times last week and we got lucky where they dropped two INTs and only caught one. Cam was a cool story but the truth is we can likely score from where he scored as long as CMC is in the game. 

Cam needs full reps. That's why he got them this week. Because he can't learn the offense when PJ takes away from his reps. Likewise, PJ isn't going to improve running with the second team all the time. If you only have Cam work in the and-short situations then you are screwed in Walker gets hurt. I think most people of sound mind understand Cam Newton is still a far superior QB and leader than PJ Walker. Cam should be getting 90+% of first team reps and it should be of the entire offense. 

Nobody really runs a two QB system and there is a reason for that. PJ has had literally one good showing in his entire career in the NFL. Every appearance has been below league average until this last week. There is very little reason to believe he can continue to keep this going. Mike White looked good in a spot. Josh Johnson as well. PJ should only be in the game if its a blowout or if Cam is hurt. 

There is way more cons than pros for running a two QB "system" with one of those QBs being PJ Walker. Everything PJ can do, Cam can do. So by having to practice for Cam Newton you are practicing for Cam and PJ anyway. 

I don't think anyone is questioning who the better Qb is, the question is about which option gives us a chance for the best results.  

The options are implement a similar game plan as last week with more packages for Cam as he gets up to speed after being out of football for most of the season or let him try to win it on his own with what he's memorized regarding the verbiage and formations of Brady's offense in the 1.5 weeks he's been here. 

This is a win-win situation for the Panthers if Walker is playing competent it gives Cam even more time to digest everything before being handed the keys, if PJ struggles well we have a former MVP to turn to.  Between the two we should be able to muster enough plays offensively to beat Washington. 

The coaches seem to believe in PJ as well as his teammates looking at the interactions on the sideline last game. I didn't catch the Detroit game last year, so this was my first time seeing PJ in real action he looked more than serviceable to me, outside of two bad throws he looked like he executed the game plan to a T. 

15 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m fine with it until cam gets up to speed. But once he gets it down he needs to be the starter. 

This.

15 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Load management may be the only way we can get Cam through a full NFL season at this point in his career, and it's going to take an unprecedented coaching approach because of his unique skillset. If this works out extension talk is going to get interesting. 

Ehh, outside of his bout with covid, he appeared to manage the season in New England fine health-wise and had one of his strongest games late in the season against the Texans.

Well if we're going to run a lot of read option and stuff like that then rotating will help keep Cam fresh and protect him more. Just like with CMC. If we run Cam and CMC too much the injury risk is higher. We have other guys who may not be as good but are capable of taking some of the load and keeping things going. Especially these first weeks. Cam needs time and I assume Brady needs time to figure out the best packages for the offense moving forward. I 'm expecting the offensive scheme to  evolve in a different direction now that we have a great running QB. We should do what Baltimore does with Jackson and the Saints do with what's his face. Run an offense that fits our QBs specific strengths. I was always against that before because it would cut Cam's career short but now? This is Cam's encore performance. Let him shine dong what he does best. Blaze of Glory time.  

• Pie 1