• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adjustment question, Djax

cardiackat88.

Question/rant hybrid.

Of all the god damn DBs on this team, no one had the thought to put Dante Jackson in a less vulnerable position after the first three times he was waxed?

Perhaps the slot? Perhaps the bench? ANYwhere besides on an island with whoever the hell #17's name is?

Its not like there wasn't another DB who could have filled the role, this team pretty much has every DB known to man in the last 5 years.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

Question/rant hybrid.

Of all the god damn DBs on this team, no one had the thought to put Dante Jackson in a less vulnerable position after the first three times he was waxed?

Perhaps the slot? Perhaps the bench? ANYwhere besides on an island with whoever the hell #17's name is?

Its not like there wasn't another DB who could have filled the role, this team pretty much has every DB known to man in the last 5 years.

Gilmore: limited snaps/role, will be playing larger role as weeks go by

Horn: Hurt

Bouye: Not sure if he would've shut down Terry, but maybe would've done more as donte had a bad game

Keith Taylor: Had a bad game and don't feel comfortable putting him on WR1

CJ Hen: Had an pretty alright to good game. Don't feel comfortable putting him on WR1.

Donte had a bad game but has put together plenty of good tape this year. 

• Pie 7
  • Flames 1

Slot was where he should have been moved to.

McLaurin’s least amount of snaps come from the slot and he stated just last year that he was learning the position. Worse case scenario is that Rivera moves McLaurin to the slot to match up with D-Jax but at that point you have linebacker help and you are only giving up 5-10 yard gains rather than 20+ yard completions.

I get that Gilmore is still limited but he played 55% of the snaps yesterday. There’s no reason that he shouldn’t have been put on McLaurin with the safety shaded to his side to take away the deep threat.

As far as Jackson goes, it doesn’t mean much that you can keep up with the receiver if your ball skills are horrible.

HOWEVER, D-Jax has a had a solid season and we shouldn’t take him to the woodshed over one game where the coaching staff did nothing to help him out. It basically looked like they were shell-shocked that he was getting smoked and had no idea what to do to fix it.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

Donte doesn’t have the size or the leaping ability to hang with some of these WR’s. He has gotten so much better against the pass, but he is not going to grow 3 inches or add 6 inches to his vertical. Tough to put 5’10” DB’s on 6’4” receivers with a 38” vertical. Best he can do is start accidentally tripping receivers with his legs.

Edited by philit99
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Djax is not at fault here, he’s had a very decent season. Snow’s game plan was the problem. Snow never adjusted to give Djax help and left him out on an island vs. the coach who created Djax and extensively knew his weaknesses. 

If this was an every week occurrence, ya, it’d be on Djax but it’s not. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Slot was where he should have been moved to.

McLaurin’s least amount of snaps come from the slot and he stated just last year that he was learning the position. Worse case scenario is that Rivera moves McLaurin to the slot to match up with D-Jax but at that point you have linebacker help and you are only giving up 5-10 yard gains rather than 20+ yard completions.

I get that Gilmore is still limited but he played 55% of the snaps yesterday. There’s no reason that he shouldn’t have been put on McLaurin with the safety shaded to his side to take away the deep threat.

As far as Jackson goes, it doesn’t mean much that you can keep up with the receiver if your ball skills are horrible.

HOWEVER, D-Jax has a had a solid season and we shouldn’t take him to the woodshed when the coaching staff did nothing to help him out.

To be fair Ron took him to the woodshed, we just got to watch.

All of his downs are as well documented as his ups. He is good but not nearly as good as some hyped him up to be.

I agree he should have been in the slot all year, he isn't an outside CB against good WRs, our #1 has always taken that action and left the lesser WRs to Jackson or else. Well, we all saw or else yesterday.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Problem is the 3 big plays Donte gave up, Gilmore was on the field and Snow decided to not have him man up on McLaurin.

Hmm. I didn't notice that. Nice catch. I did see one specific play where Gilmore lined up on Terry, so i guess I just assumed (without taking notice) that gilmore would be on WR1 if he was on the field. 

I was watching on my iphone lol

20 minutes ago, Waldo said:

To be fair Ron took him to the woodshed, we just got to watch.

All of his downs are as well documented as his ups. He is good but not nearly as good as some hyped him up to be.

I agree he should have been in the slot all year, he isn't an outside CB against good WRs, our #1 has always taken that action and left the lesser WRs to Jackson or else. Well, we all saw or else yesterday.

The worst part is that our coaching staff just sat back and watched the train wreck up close.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Jackson is vulnerable against the deep ball. We've always known this to be true, but when the pass rush plays well, or the opposing QB sucks, it's not a factor. Tall track star WRs can run past him, and then beat him for the jump ball if it's under thrown.

What to do? In the future you want Horn and CJ on the #1 and #2 WRs, and Jackson in the slot. CJ should actually be starting over Jackson, but Rhule and Jackson have been talking about how brilliant Jackson has been playing. Like Jackson is on some sort of different level mentally like Michael Jordan or something. This narrative helps to justify Jackson starting over CJ, but it makes no sense because Jackson is screwing up more than CJ. Granted Jackson is out there more, but still.

What's coming imo is that CJ will take the spot from Jackson. By doing that you stop opposing QBs from beating Jackson with jump balls. You can't just use jump balls against CJ because he's going to win a lot of them, so you have to throw a perfect ball against CJ.

• Beer 1