• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nobody talking about Minshew?

BurnNChinn

23 minutes ago, frankw said:

These "durrr you didn't give Darnold the benefit of the doubt!" arguments are stupid and easy to see through.

I think we can also agree that those "durrr Sam Darnold is 99% of what's wrong with our offense" arguments were stupid.  Fast forward to today, and we've just fired our offensive coordinator and are coming off the heels of one of the worst o-line performances in NFL history against Miami.  Oh and our star WRs are still dropping passes.

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

I think we can also agree that those "durrr Sam Darnold is 99% of what's wrong with our offense" arguments were stupid.  Fast forward to today, and we've just fired our offensive coordinator and are coming off the heels of one of the worst o-line performances in NFL history against Miami.  Oh and our star WRs are still dropping passes.

It's been a combination for sure he had his center in his lap many times and Robby Anderson fell off several cliffs. Even DJ has had bad drops. We already know about Brady. But he also cost us games with poor decisions which has always been his bugaboo since college. He ended one game with a pick and started the next with one. Who does that? So we got exactly what we should have expected if we had truly done our homework on him. All of those turnovers were on film with the Jets. We got played.

17 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

So he put up a bunch of garbage time and they back door covered some games. Like I said above Luton who is a third string nfl QB came in for Minshew on that same Jags team had 300 yards passing and 2 total TD. Then Glennon on that same Jags team came in 3 weeks later and there for 235 yards and 2 TD. These are not guys I would want as backups and the jags offense didn’t miss a beat matter of fact they got more explosive with those two. 

So your saying in the second half Minshew went 6/10 for 60 yards.

Btw I do think Minshew is better than Hurts or Darnold, same with Heinicke or Keenum. But those type of QB will lead you no where and are just stop gaps for the next QB. Theirs a reason even with all those nice stats the Jags moved on, and they only got a 6th round for him. Theirs a reason the eagles coach is sticking with Hurts over him

Bad team doesn’t mean bad QB play. Minshew more than did his part to help them win. There’s a reason Wilson went in the 3rd. There’s a reason Brady went at the end of the draft. There’s a reason Rodgers dropped far behind Smith… teams make dumb decisions all the time. The Jaguars are the epitome of I wouldnt try and emulate them. 

• Pie 2

33 minutes ago, Varking said:

Bad team doesn’t mean bad QB play. Minshew more than did his part to help them win. There’s a reason Wilson went in the 3rd. There’s a reason Brady went at the end of the draft. There’s a reason Rodgers dropped far behind Smith… teams make dumb decisions all the time. The Jaguars are the epitome of I wouldnt try and emulate them. 

Lmao you forgot Unitas. Anymore outliers?

I guess everyone is wrong for a second time cause Minshew was there for a 6th rounder. Or could be the tape doesn’t match the stat sheet

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

I mean there's a reason I compared the two beyond them being white.  They're similar in a lot of ways.  If people are pissed we didn't trade for Minshew then I'm just saying I expect that same energy for Heinicke.  We should be arguably more upset since we already had him on our team and wouldn't even have had to provide any trade compensation.  I get the "it would have been better than trading a 2nd, 4th, and 6th for Darnold" argument but it's not an either/or.  I can judge each move on its own merits - the Darnold trade was a bad move in its own right, and trading for Minshew I think would be largely inconsequential and would still have us looking for a franchise QB.

Also, I recall a similar "Say what you want about X QB but he has his team winning games" argument for Teddy Bridgewater on the heels of going 5-0 with the Saints filling in for Brees.

Heinecke couldn't stay healthy so we moved on. That doesn't bother me. 

Trading 3 draft picks for the worst QB in the NFL and immediately picking up his 5th year option when a solid if not spectacular starter could be had for a 6th while still on his rookie contract is available is more egregious to me personally. 

It essentially becomes a trade of Teddy Bridgewater for Gardner Minshew at that point, and I believe that Minshew is a step up from Bridgewater personally. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Lmao you forgot Unitas. Anymore outliers?

I guess everyone is wrong for a second time cause Minshew was there for a 6th rounder. Or could be the tape doesn’t match the stat sheet

I don’t believe, for the most part, people here claiming tape doesn’t match the stat sheet have actually seen the tape to make this claim. He looked like a solid NFL QB this week putting up stats not in garbage time at all. 

Heineke being a franchise QB that's just made of glass is something I can't buy.  Its revisionist history.  We dumped Heineke because he stunk in limited action, and had limited potential (size, age).  He's salvaged a career with Washington, and is growing into an entirely different player.

On Minshew, most people aren't upset because they thought he'd be our franchise QB.  We would just rather pay a 6th to have Minshew play QB than trade a 2nd to play Darnold.  They are both low tier starters/high tier backups, but one of them cost a lot more than the other one.  We could have paid a lot less to suck.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Heinecke couldn't stay healthy so we moved on. That doesn't bother me. 

Trading 3 draft picks for the worst QB in the NFL and immediately picking up his 5th year option when a solid if not spectacular starter could be had for a 6th while still on his rookie contract is available is more egregious to me personally. 

It essentially becomes a trade of Teddy Bridgewater for Gardner Minshew at that point, and I believe that Minshew is a step up from Bridgewater personally. 

Well that's what I was saying in my post that you quoted.  We don't need to compare trading for Minshew vs. trading for Darnold.

1) Trading for Darnold was a big mistake

2) Minshew is not the answer to our QB problem

Those aren't mutually exclusive.  I'd be more on board with having traded for Minshew if we had a top rookie QB needing to sit for a year or a legit franchise starter with zero depth if he were to get injured.  But just trading for Minshew just for the sake of having a marginal upgrade from Teddy would do nothing to get us out of our perpetual QB purgatory since the Cam injury.  That's just another one of those half-ass measures we've been taking for the last 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Heineke being a franchise QB that's just made of glass is something I can't buy.  Its revisionist history.  We dumped Heineke because he stunk in limited action, and had limited potential (size, age).  He's salvaged a career with Washington, and is growing into an entirely different player.

On Minshew, most people aren't upset because they thought he'd be our franchise QB.  We would just rather pay a 6th to have Minshew play QB than trade a 2nd to play Darnold.  They are both low tier starters/high tier backups, but one of them cost a lot more than the other one.  We could have paid a lot less to suck.

Heinicke didn’t even get a chance with WFT until Dwayne Haskins flamed out, Kyle Allen broke his leg and one legged Alex Smith couldn’t hold up. They were so unconfident with him that they signed fitzmagic in the off-season as a starter. 4 weeks ago every WFT fan was ready to tank and get the best QB available…now after one big upset over Tampa and narrow wins over our decomposing team and an inconsistent at best Seattle and Vegas team, he’s really the guy that we should have built around? Reminds me a lot of the Kyle Allen win streak in 2009, main difference being that WFT has a better O line.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Varking said:

I don’t believe, for the most part, people here claiming tape doesn’t match the stat sheet have actually seen the tape to make this claim. He looked like a solid NFL QB this week putting up stats not in garbage time at all. 

Heinicke has look solid also, still don’t want him as my QB. 

My number #1 want about QBs is handling adversity, my god does this legend past that test. Hit on his first 12 passes and finished something like 22 of 28. Passed for more TDs in one game than #1 overall sunshine has in last 5 games for the jags. Hes new to team as well.....

Nah lets try to paid teddy 2 gloves 40 million for one season, trade draft picks plus pick the 5th year on the worst QB three years running. Rhule has the worst QB judgement and all it took for Minshew was a 6th AND AANNNNNNDDD hes under contract for 2022.