• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

👀

Icege

57 minutes ago, Icege said:

The way they structured the player contracts, they really thought that they were going to be competing this season and next. Now they're out a 2nd and 3rd while staring at a potential top 10 pick. 😧

It does raise the question about whether or not they just march this out next season before pulling the plug midway thru.

This isn't quite Houston-level bad yet, but we're getting there.

Going forward Houston is in a better spot than us. They knew they would be blowing things up a while ago and their coach has more promise than ours.

• Pie 2

39 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

with four games to play in 2012 we were mired at 3-9 and ron was a dead man walking. we'd just dropped a winnable game to the chiefs and the huddle wanted blood.

then we went on a run, beating atlanta (iirc cam had yet to beat them) drubbing san diego on the road, throttling oakland, and then dropping a forty burger on the saints to close out on a hot streak. this was widely credited to the team finally collectively turning a corner and learning how to win as they bought into ron's program.

i don't think rhule has the right stuff, and i don't see him turning a corner like that, but given how program building works i think it would be catastrophically short sighted not to let him close out the season. no one else on the staff is capable of taking over as head coach next year, so you gain nothing by giving them a shot. if we fire rhule tomorrow we are the browns.

Yeah that’s a fair take. Kinda terrified of what Tepper might be as an owner. So far it looks average. 

7 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

Even tho Ron/Fox were frustrating they always seemed likable and that “players coach” quality seemed to come in handy for saving their jobs after getting outsmarted all season. 

This just feels like we stink and Rhule stinks and we should have blown it up 2 years ago. 

When Fox and Rivera left, they still had great loyalty from their players. It's why they could get late season pushes from their guys, just to try and save their coach's job. 

I'm not seeing it here. At all.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Been mentioning this elsewhere...

It was conceived as a way to help keep playoff bound coaches from missing out on opportunities but the more practical effect it has is to incentivize early firings.

That's actually not completely necessary.  The language is interesting in that it says "fired or informed they won't be back".  I can definitely see a scenario where Tepper says "Matt, you won't be back next year".

That allows Rhule to finish out the year and doesn't put us in a worse spot with no one really capable of stepping up in the interim.  It allows Tepper to get moving on finding the next guy.

As long as it’s done before the last two weeks so we can get a head start. I want it this week but that’s just fan spite. There is no turning this around a la 2012. This team imploded and we don’t have the pieces to overcome the horrific coaching. Rhule is done here. I’d like to get that head start on the coaching search. I want an offensive minded coach who has nfl experience, nfl connections. I truly believe competent nfl coaching we’re an 8-9 win team this season. Which was the goal this year. We looked better last year, that is very telling.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

Yeah that’s a fair take. Kinda terrified of what Tepper might be as an owner. So far it looks average. 

...hes below average and given his association with the Steelers you would think he learned something....he violated rule number one.... don't hire a college head coach. The NFL is not college. He banked on rhule being able to  leapfrogging all that NFL experience...now u see the shtshow.  The NFL is hard...its even harder if you're stupid.

Edited by Pimpdaddy

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

That's actually not completely necessary.  The language is interesting in that it says "fired or informed they won't be back".  I can definitely see a scenario where Tepper says "Matt, you won't be back next year".

That allows Rhule to finish out the year and doesn't put us in a worse spot with no one really capable of stepping up in the interim.  It allows Tepper to get moving on finding the next guy.

Yeah, mentioned that elsewhere.

Wasn't just talking about us though. Not every team has a situation like ours.

There's zero reason to keep Rhule at this point.  We are not going to the playoffs and likely not going to win another game.  We are catching a pissed off Bills team right now, a Saints team trying to stay in the playoff hunt and the defending SB Champs x2 a game back of getting a bye (not resting their starters). 

Keeping this dude around is killing the moral of this team.  I understand the optics around the League canning another coach with games remaining, but there is literally no positives for keeping him.  If Tepper does retain Rhule for the last 4 games, I hope he pulls the trigger the VERY NEXT DAY after the Bucs game in January.  Heck, Tepper should call him to his office at BOA after the plane lands back in Charlotte.

10 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

That’s what I’m afraid of. Some miracle improvement to finish the season allowing him to continue hoodwinking the organization for years to come like Rivera did. 

Rivera was goddamn Lombardi compared to Matt Rhule.  They are not even close to the same.  Rivera is an actual, true to life NFL Head Coach.  Im not really sure what Matt Rhule is anymore. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

As long as it’s done before the last two weeks so we can get a head start. I want it this week but that’s just fan spite. There is no turning this around a la 2012. This team imploded and we don’t have the pieces to overcome the horrific coaching. Rhule is done here. I’d like to get that head start on the coaching search. I want an offensive minded coach who has nfl experience, nfl connections. I truly believe competent nfl coaching we’re an 8-9 win team this season. Which was the goal this year. We looked better last year, that is very telling.

We looked better last year because we had an actual, functioning NFL offense last year.  Turns out, Teddy was not the problem and we probably should have just kept him.  Hindsight is a bitch sometimes.