• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Upcoming Dilemna

DaveThePanther2008

If evan Neal is there, you prolly take him and grab C/G depth in round 4.  Call it a draft.

I think we will be players in free agency--Minshew, Garrapolo, Watson (please no), and maybe Daniel Jones, Goff, Trubiski, etc.  Minshew reminds me so much of Jake Delhomme, I would be happy to roll with him on the roster and Darnold holding a clipboard for a year.

There is another way--no QB after Corral is (in my opinion) going top 5. I am guessing that we will be picking around 8 again. trade back to around 15, grab Howell or Pickett and use the second rounder to grab a young LT.   Some say that Howell and Pickett will be gone by then--but if they are, trade back again and grab Strong at the end of the first round (where I think he will go).  He needs a season on the pine, but if we really build an OL in free agency and with the second round pick....

• Pie 1

There is no "dilemna". This franchise has SUCKED from DAY ONE with exception to a rare season here and there. We're the Browns but with a hotter girlfriend, the Lions but with a larger penis, the Jets but with you know ... anything else, the Jags but in a less humid city, the Texans but in a less conservative state, the Bengals but without the weird helmets, the WFT but without fans that dress up as pigwomen, and the Falcons but without being the Falcons.

• Poo 1

12 hours ago, pantherj said:

LT, DE, QB. Depends on where the value falls. Top priority is QB, then LT, then DE with the 1st pick.

Without a great QB you can mark off winning the SB. Until we solve the QB problem we're basically spinning our wheels as far as winning championships is concerned. Had we tanked we would already have a great, but Rhule was convinced he needed to teach the Panthers players how to win in December. Yeah that happened.

The problem of our mediocre o-line has been making this fan base SICK. No one is buying tickets and this team is ass. The main culprit is the poop o-line and bad play calling. Brady is poop canned, and the worst o-linemen should be next.

A big DE who can hold up in the run and rush the passer at a high level, coupled with the return of Horn, would give us a dominant defense when rested.

Agree with everything you wrote except DE. We’ve got big DE’s that can play adequately against the run e.g. Yetur Gross-Matos, Fox and Daryl Williams (traded from Buffalo). Phil Hoskins and Dayvion Nixon give us good depth on the defensive interior. Our problem IMO is we don’t play these guys enough in favor of defending the pass and it’s killing us.

A bigger issue is LB specifically MLB. Shaq is NOT a natural @ MLB and Carter is a backup. Getting a stud at MLB to fill the void left by Keuchly would help this D a lot. And no, we shouldn’t spend a top pick on one unless we miss the boat on a blue chip prospect at QB or OL.

Edited by Prowler2k18

I’d like to see cam back with a a TC and offseason and actually nfl caliber coaching, i can say that with half the roster TBH, instead of having to try and carry the remnants of a nfl offense we are currently fielding while learning whatever variation of the playbook.

bring in competition, but this offseason we need to fix the o line and whatever is lacking from the d line to stifle the run or produce consistent pressure because giving up all these 3rd down conversions isn’t going to cut it. 

2 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Agree with everything you wrote except DE. We’ve got big DE’s that can play adequately against the run e.g. Yetur Gross-Matos, Fox and Daryl Williams (traded from Buffalo). Phil Hoskins and Dayvion Nixon give us good depth on the defensive interior. Our problem IMO is we don’t play these guys enough in favor of defending the pass and it’s killing us.

A bigger issue is LB specifically MLB. Shaq is NOT a natural @ MLB and Carter is a backup. Getting a stud at MLB to fill the void left by Keuchly would help this D a lot. And no, we shouldn’t spend a top pick on one unless we miss the boat on a blue chip prospect at QB or OL.

Basically the opposing QB looks at who we have in at DE and makes an audible to either run or pass. That's why we get gashed so badly, and when we go big they spread out and pass. The way you stop that is by drafting a DE who is 6'5"ish and 260ish pounds who can rush the passer and set the edge. This would put a screeching halt to our run and pass woes. DEs who can do both go in the top 10 of the draft if they have that rare talent. Not a bad pick if one is there imo.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

We could load up on comp picks this year but we won’t. We’ll yet again waste money on stop gap poo. We spent $77M this off season on Sam, Erving, Elflein and Anderson. We spent $70M last year on Teddy, Short, Okung, Weatherly, Apple and Roberts.

You think these guys on the hot seat aren’t going to mortgage the future to look good? It sucks too because like we lost Bradberry’s 3rd, we’d probably get a 3rd/4th for Reddick, 3/4 for Donte and a 5 for Gilmore. I think the max teams can get is 4. 

Also, what Jax pick in 2023? We got back their 2022 pick for Henderson but gave up our 2022 3rd.

When we traded arnold and the third, we got henderson and a 2023 5th.

Your numbers for Sam, Erving, Elf, and Anderson are a little misleading.  The 77m is spread over 3 years.

The salary for those 4 guys this year is about 19m.

The salary in 2023 for those 4 guys is 49m.

The salary in 2024 for those remaining (Anderson and Elf) is 21m or 4m dead.

We made a mistake with TB.  I think the Darnold trade was a calculated gamble that probably will not work out long term.

The only one on the hot seat is Rhule.  I think Fitterer is safe.  And therefore he will not allow a 'mortgage the future' scenario to play out.  He will try to get some guys Rhule likes (assuming Rhule is here) by trading back, etc. but I don't think he will trade away any future 2023 assets or make a bunch of splash signings that will impact our comp pick picture. 

Think about it, if Rhule is here, his warm seat will prevent Fitterer from doing something stupid.  If Rhule is gone, we will be in another rebuild and Fitterer will not squander assets on a win now mentality.  We finally have a competent GM - let's watch him work.

-Trade back and draft Howell late 1st.

-Figure out if DJ Moore will sign for lengthy above avg WR2 contract. If not, trade him  + late pick to move up in 1st for OL. 

-Let Reddick and Jackson go as UFA. Stockpile comp picks for 2023. 

-Tag Gilmore. Sign to team friendly, hometown discount extension if he’s willing. 

-Start Darnold first half of next year. If he plays well, trade him for assets. If he doesn’t, play Howell after trade deadline. If it goes poorly, should have a decent position/assets to make a move and draft Bryce Young in 2023. 

That’s my plan, and I routinely crush my 7 y.o. in Madden so it’ll work. 

41 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Basically the opposing QB looks at who we have in at DE and makes an audible to either run or pass. That's why we get gashed so badly, and when we go big they spread out and pass. The way you stop that is by drafting a DE who is 6'5"ish and 260ish pounds who can rush the passer and set the edge. This would put a screeching halt to our run and pass woes. DEs who can do both go in the top 10 of the draft if they have that rare talent. Not a bad pick if one is there imo.

I agree but doesn’t YGM fit that description?

Good points btw - not sure if any DE’s like this are worth a 1st round pick this year but I could be wrong.

Edited by Prowler2k18

16 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

At this point putting any QB behind this line is like making a sacrifice to the gods.

Pick a LT.

This all day.  Had we taken a qb this year he would have looked like complete trash and the board would be full of bust threads.  You want to see a young qb with promise thrown into an impossible situation look no further than Darnold with the jets.  When he got here he was already broken beyond repair.  Let’s not repeat that.  
Need a tackle and a guard/center that can start next year.  Need Cam or someone competent  not named walker or Darnold taking snaps. 

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It’s a 2022 5th and I’ll believe we'll go for comp picks when I see it.

I don’t think the numbers are misleading, that’s the amount spent to show that  we’ve been very free with contracts to guys giving us next to nothing. It was meant to show how even though we aren’t signing marquee guys the money we spent has prevented us from having a bundle to rollover and spend on good FAs.

I’m not as optimistic on Fitterer as I was after the draft. The OL FAs, picks and missed opportunities along with Sam, give me pause. I hope he does better but I’m in a prove it mode. Prove that we don’t waste cap, don’t waste comp picks and draft solid players.  

You're right - it is 2022 5th.  misread that.  We have 2 5ths this year.  Prime OL spots.

My thinking on free agents - sometimes you just have to take a chance.  There's not a limitless supply of guys available.  Hopefully you win on most knowing there will be some stinkers along the way.  Elf and Erving haven't been great, but it wasn't like we gave them 10m per year.

Having said that, I would not have paid Robbie that much money, especially right after drafting Marshall.  But the good news is, if he totally sucks again next year, he'll only cost us 4m in dead money in 2024 (vs. paying him 16m in salary).