• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: David Tepper is “unhappy and embarrassed” by the contract he gave to Matt Rhule

NAS

7 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Should've kept Rivera and let him build out the 3-4 the way he wanted. He bled black and blue and that counts for something. You don't fire people just for the sake of firing them and Rivera was proven to be a good coach. Rivera with Fitterer would've likely enabled us the ability to turn things around.

Rivera is 5X the man and Coach that Fhule is.

Cam is 5X the leader that Fhule is.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

How is it a coach is given a 7 year contract, never having coached at this level before and the owner and GM not

1 ask for a documented,   long term high level Plan 

2. A short term (one to 3 year)  detailed plan supporting number 1 including personnel particularly the QB and LT ?

I am just at a total loss because if that was not done we truly have a stupid owner and if it was done and the plan was not followed,  that’s grounds for contract breach or if it was approved to be executed as it has been, the owner is an idiot 

Tepper does not strike me as uninterested or unintelligent   Too many irons in the fire and delegating perhaps. 

I think we might see some big movement as far as players are concerned that don't fit the window of the rebuild. the only reason to keep Rhule at this point is to allow him to close out the 5th year option they gave to Darnold and be bad enough next year to be in striking range to draft a QB in a much better class than this one. You don't want a new hire in that situation. Let Rhule start the year 0-3 and then fire him and promote someone to head coach that can finish the tank job. that way, we can lure a head coach here with a ridiculous amount of cap space after Darnold and .... as sad as it is for me to say it, CMC come off the books somehow. the new coach should have a highly regarded QB prospect and a young defense that can develop into one of the best in football with few changes. 

in my opinion, the choice on rhule has already been made. they just need someone to point the titanic at the iceburg and they don't want that guy to be their new hire for obvious reasons. 

10 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

I think we might see some big movement as far as players are concerned that don't fit the window of the rebuild. the only reason to keep Rhule at this point is to allow him to close out the 5th year option they gave to Darnold and be bad enough next year to be in striking range to draft a QB in a much better class than this one. You don't want a new hire in that situation. Let Rhule start the year 0-3 and then fire him and promote someone to head coach that can finish the tank job. that way, we can lure a head coach here with a ridiculous amount of cap space after Darnold and .... as sad as it is for me to say it, CMC come off the books somehow. the new coach should have a highly regarded QB prospect and a young defense that can develop into one of the best in football with few changes. 

in my opinion, the choice on rhule has already been made. they just need someone to point the titanic at the iceburg and they don't want that guy to be their new hire for obvious reasons. 

I will be pissed if they do that, u don’t come out and say u feel embarrassed/fooled by ur own coach or ur football team and keep him. 

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

It is very good national media is picking this up.

Be embarrassed, Tepper. You were taken by the equivalent of a used car salesman.  Some of us were, too.  The difference is you can fix this. So fuging do it!

I was fooled too, Rhule sold us some snake oil

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

Seriously, if Nick Saban can't succeed in the NFL (maybe the best college coach of his generation) how can you expect other college guys to win here ?

Saban is better off in college, but I think too often people make it seem like he was a complete failure in the NFL.  

Dolphins were 4-12 when he got there and in his first season they finished 9-7.  

If Saban could have gotten Brees like he wanted (Dolphins doctors failed him in the physical), I think he would have done just fine.  

I agree with your overall point though that it is difficult for college coaches to transition to the pros, but IMO Saban wasn't a bad NFL coach.  He just A) didn't stay long enough and B) didn't get the QB he wanted.

• Beer 1

As a hedge fund billionaire, Tepper should completely understand the sunk cost fallacy and probably be one of the top ten people on the planet who has experienced it at such a large magnitude and learned from it in his business doings. 

If he doesn’t see it here and make the move at the end of the year, it brings a ton more questions to the table as to what type of owner we are going to have for the next 20 years. 

mistakes happen. Compounding those mistakes is nothing more than ignorance and pride. 

Edited by bigdog10
  • Pie 5
  • Flames 2