• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An Alternate View

bythenbrs

A lot of discussion on OC candidates, but this is myopic.  The most important coaching hire(s) this off-season is OL coach and staff. It really doesn’t matter what offense your OC wants to run, if your OL coaching staff can’t scheme and effectively develop players for that scheme, your offense is toast.  Fix the o-line, fix the offense.  

And thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.

image.thumb.jpeg.b1c1adb978533ccd56993a1d86592605.jpeg

• Pie 3

I'm not truly certain it matters.  Our line coach was definitely bad.  Unfortunately, so was a lot of our talent.

I hope we can do better this year at both, but I have my doubts.  If you're a good line coach, do you really want to be here on a one year contract?  Likewise coordinator?  I just don't think Rhule can come back from where he is now.  Regardless of whether you think he can one day be an NFL coach, I don't think that THIS situation is recoverable.

To me, that makes replacing staff much, much more difficult.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hate to tell y'all, but simply fixing the OL is not going to fix our current mess. We have the worst QB situation and worst coaching situation in the league. An OL ain't fixing that.

yea...ur right... just keep pushing the car back up the hill..

OC coming in predicates the offensive scheme which predicates the blocking scheme which predicates the best suited positional coaches. If we’re doing this thing again of hiring people and just telling them to work together (IE Rhule, Brady & Fit) it will fail. Get an OC that brings a staff with a complete offense in mind. 

Edited by davos

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hate to tell y'all, but simply fixing the OL is not going to fix our current mess. We have the worst QB situation and worst coaching situation in the league. An OL ain't fixing that.

Pittsburgh might actually be worse with Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins, but it’s basically king of poo mountain at this point.  Unfortunately for us, they have the management ability to get a quality QB soon while we flounder around

8 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Pittsburgh might actually be worse with Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins, but it’s basically king of poo mountain at this point.  Unfortunately for us, they have the management ability to get a quality QB soon while we flounder around

We have Sam for $18.5 million plus lost our 2nd rounder which is going to be like a late first. I’ll take Mason and his contract over that. Also I bet the Steelers just draft one (they have been looking at Howell).  You are spot on with the poop mountain reference… 

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We have Sam for $18.5 million plus lost our 2nd rounder which is going to be like a late first. I’ll take Mason and his contract over that. Also I bet the Steelers just draft one (they have been looking at Howell).  You are spot on with the poop mountain reference… 

Fair, when you account for everything we’re definitely worse off.  As players they all suck.  Sad times.  I’m thinking they’ll draft one too, it’s Colbert’s last draft as GM so he’s gonna want to set up some form of QB successor.

either way, Rhule will make more poor choices and we’ll be in an even deeper hole next season.  Nothing will change until he’s gone.  I wonder who he’ll slap his first franchise tag on?  PJ?  John Miller?  Ugh…

• Pie 1