• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft rumors pertaining to QBs

AU-panther

This time of year, there will be so many rumors and smokescreens concerning QBs in the draft that you are best not believing anything and just using common sense.  

Simply put, we had terrible QB play last year so of course you have to actually consider taking a QB or the very least pretending to.

Think about the different scenarios:

Team really doesn't want a QB, then they should really act like they want a QB hoping teams ahead of them take a QB so that pushes non-QBs down the board, such as a LT.

What if we do want a QB, shouldn't we act like we don't, so teams don't trade in front of us?  Not really, it doesn't matter what we really plan on doing it matters what other teams think.  Our QB last year was Sam Darnold, who didn't play well and is on last year of his deal, every other team in the league has to assume that QB is a possibility for us.  

In regard to specific QBs, Fitt makes a statement and says something to the effect of Pickett and Willis and the other QBs.  The fact he named 2 of the QBs by name and lumped all the other ones together got everyone looking for hidden meaning.

Maybe it meant nothing, maybe that was the first 2 names that popped in his head.

Maybe it meant that we like those two the most.

Maybe those are the two that Fitt feels are on the top of most other team's boards and therefore he is trying to hype them up and show interest hoping other teams trade up in front of us and move non-QBs down the board.

Maybe those are the two that Fitt feels are on the top of most other team's boards and therefore he is trying to hype them up and show interest hoping other teams take them and we can take someone like Howell or Strong, possibly even with a trade down.

Also I heard a report (or read an article I can't remember exactly where), that when Seattle drafted Wilson that they slow played it.  They showed very little interest leading up to draft night.  

The more I hear about us and Pickett the more I can see us trading down and taking Howell, if we do decide to go QB.  

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

15 hours ago, AU-panther said:

This time of year, there will be so many rumors and smokescreens concerning QBs in the draft that you are best not believing anything and just using common sense.  

Simply put, we had terrible QB play last year so of course you have to actually consider taking a QB or the very least pretending to.

Think about the different scenarios:

Team really doesn't want a QB, then they should really act like they want a QB hoping teams ahead of them take a QB so that pushes non-QBs down the board, such as a LT.

What if we do want a QB, shouldn't we act like we don't, so teams don't trade in front of us?  Not really, it doesn't matter what we really plan on doing it matters what other teams think.  Our QB last year was Sam Darnold, who didn't play well and is on last year of his deal, every other team in the league has to assume that QB is a possibility for us.  

In regard to specific QBs, Fitt makes a statement and says something to the effect of Pickett and Willis and the other QBs.  The fact he named 2 of the QBs by name and lumped all the other ones together got everyone looking for hidden meaning.

Maybe it meant nothing, maybe that was the first 2 names that popped in his head.

Maybe it meant that we like those two the most.

Maybe those are the two that Fitt feels are on the top of most other team's boards and therefore he is trying to hype them up and show interest hoping other teams trade up in front of us and move non-QBs down the board.

Maybe those are the two that Fitt feels are on the top of most other team's boards and therefore he is trying to hype them up and show interest hoping other teams take them and we can take someone like Howell or Strong, possibly even with a trade down.

Also I heard a report (or read an article I can't remember exactly where), that when Seattle drafted Wilson that they slow played it.  They showed very little interest leading up to draft night.  

The more I hear about us and Pickett the more I can see us trading down and taking Howell, if we do decide to go QB.  

Our leaders aren’t smart enough to pull off a Jack move like that. If we say we like someone, we actually like them. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I was kind of thinking that. Hopefully we are pumping up the top 2 ranked QBs to get a team to trade with us or jump us and have a top 5 talent fall to us. I could see a team like the Steelers who seem to be high on Willis and Pickett trade up with us to grab their QB. This would allow us to take Howell with their pick and acquire more draft capital. Surely we are naming two QBs we are actually wanting to draft, but who knows with this staff…

5 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Early talk of the Oregon pass rusher could fall out of the top 5 that would be an interesting scenario 

Unfortunately due to severe asset mismanagement, we just aren’t in position to take advantage of a potential scenario like this. We are going to have to use this pick to fill a need.

7 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Unfortunately due to severe asset mismanagement, we just aren’t in position to take advantage of a potential scenario like this. We are going to have to use this pick to fill a need.

Pass rusher may indeed be a need if Reddick leaves. TBH, we do need better DE's anyway. Reddick and Burns are below average in run support.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Pass rusher may indeed be a need if Reddick leaves. TBH, we do need better DE's anyway. Reddick and Burns are below average in run support.

Our pass rush would take a hit but I honestly think our DL would be more balanced with Gross-Matos in there instead of Reddick. We're just too exposed against the run with both Burns and Reddick on the field. That's more of an obvious passing down type of lineup.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Our pass rush would take a hit but I honestly think our DL would be more balanced with Gross-Matos in there instead of Reddick. We're just too exposed against the run with both Burns and Reddick on the field. That's more of an obvious passing down type of lineup.

Reddick is better than Burns. Trade Burns for picks.

• Poo 3