• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Rhule forced by Tepper to hire experienced coaches?

mc52beast

26 minutes ago, Zod said:

From what I hear, yes he was. This was part of the terms of him being retained another year. 

I think it will help. At least now they have people who know how pro practices are run. 

How fuging stupid, is Tepper our HC now? Tepper is a moron if this is true. Having to make moves as an owner cause your idiot hire is inept is asinine.

Tep is fuging clueless. Should’ve been a huge red flag when he kept Hurney around.

By 2022 season start I have a feeling there will be more more faith.

If 2023 isn’t a winning year, I will be checking out as a fan since 1998 and will undoubtably crown JR better than Tep *cringe*.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Remember it was Tepper who forced Ron to switch to a 3-4 defense.

What?!?!!?? I've been following the panthers for more than a decade and I have never, ever heard this anywhere. This is some huddle made up nonsense, right?

Link to source if you don't mind.

43 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Also, sadly I hear Tepper is involved in player evaluations as well and he has zero clue as to what he is talking about.

Source? I have suspected this but had hoped it wasn't the case. But seeing how involved he was in the draft room last year was a big hint.

32 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

What?!?!!?? I've been following the panthers for more than a decade and I have never, ever heard this anywhere. This is some huddle made up nonsense, right?

Link to source if you don't mind.

It was a rumor making the rounds when they switched to the 3-4.  I don't think I ever saw a source for it other people connecting dots that they decided to switch to the 3-4, Tepper was part of the Steelers who played the 3-4, therefore it had to be his idea.

Who knows what really happened?  My guess was when Tepper asked the obvious question about fixing the defense, and when there were no good answers to be found he brought up the idea of the 3-4.  Given both felt their jobs were on the line, they took it as more than an idea.  Never mind we didn't have the personnel to make that change and getting the personnel was going to take more than one offseason.

But given Hurney, it is just as likely he thought that would impress Tepper and suggest the idea himself.

There may have been more than speculation that the decision came out of those post-season meetings with Tepper, but I don't remember anything solid saying the decision came from Tepper.

• Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

It was a rumor making the rounds when they switched to the 3-4.  I don't think I ever saw a source for it other people connecting dots that they decided to switch to the 3-4, Tepper was part of the Steelers who played the 3-4, therefore it had to be his idea.

Who knows what really happened?  My guess was when Tepper asked the obvious question about fixing the defense, and when there were no good answers to be found he brought up the idea of the 3-4.  Given both felt their jobs were on the line, they took it as more than an idea.  Never mind we didn't have the personnel to make that change and getting the personnel was going to take more than one offseason.

But given Hurney, it is just as likely he thought that would impress Tepper and suggest the idea himself.

There may have been more than speculation that the decision came out of those post-season meetings with Tepper, but I don't remember anything solid saying the decision came from Tepper.

Nope. It was 100% Tepper. He wanted Dick LeBeau's multiple look style. Too bad we have no where near the personnel. Oh but wait he is the same guy helping pick the personal and doesn't have a clue what he is doing. 

1 minute ago, Jared Patterson said:

Nope. It was 100% Tepper. He wanted Dick LeBeau's multiple look style. Too bad we have no where near the personnel. Oh but wait he is the same guy helping pick the personal and doesn't have a clue what he is doing. 

The guy that asked, asked if we had a source for that.  I don't remember seeing one.  If you have one, it'll answer his question.

25 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I did see a story where Tepper acknowledged suggesting it, not mandating it.

Rivera and Hurney ran with it from there.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I feel like he was at least told not to rehire his prior Temple / Baylor guys (two of three lost the jobs they left for) or to go back to those prior connections.

Most of the new offensive assistants have connections to McAdoo, so it's likely he was given some say on that front.

Isn't that a sad state of affairs?  Stop with the nepotism so this is less embarrassing?

Just asking questions and making suggestions is reasonable for an owner. Tepper didn't move quick enough with Ron and Hurney was even slower.

It would be a great thing if Tepper put limits on this draft, mostly stopping another trade of next years picks even if it is real weak that he had to mandate hiring the new coaches vs just firing Rhule and getting a chance at a good group and not 'the best that would work for Rhule'. 

I'm still not convinced that Tepper understands yet just how truly dumb a hire Matt Rhule was.

The coaching staff thing would indicate he believes that, with a little tweaking, Rhule can still be a success and, by extension, he can still look like a genius.

I'd say it's way more likely that when this season is over, he's going to come off looking like an even bigger doofus than he already does.