• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have reached out to Minnesota for Kirk Cousins

ncfan

2 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Vikings are in really bad shape.  They are over the cap by 18m, they owe Cousins 45m guaranteed, and Kellen Mond is their backup.  I don't see a great deal of flexibility to find more money other than moving Cousins.

I speculated this move on another thread, but I could see a Cousins for Darnold deal straight up, or maybe with a 1st round pick swap.  Minn. gets a stopgap QB, the 6th pick to draft their future QB, and cap relief of 15-20m.  Panthers keep a first rounder to draft an Offensive lineman and get a huge upgrade at QB. Maybe Minn. throws in one of their 6ths just to make us feel better.

Their cap situation is overstated.  They have a good bit of flexibility in some of their other contracts.

They could release or trade one player, Hunter, and save $20m and be under the cap.

Release or trade Kendricks save another $9.5.

Restructure Thielen, they could free up $10m more.

Thats just a start, there have several more contracts that could easily present substantial cap savings if cut, traded, or restructured.

They don't have to do anything with Cousins financially, they might want to, they might decide that is too much to pay him for one year but financially they don't absolutely have to.

Also they could give Cousins an extension and greatly decrease his cap hit this year.  Problem with an extension though is Cousins has all of the leverage.  He knows he has a guaranteed $35m for one year.  He can always turn down their offer and just play for one year.  I'm guessing for him to sign an extension they would have to overpay on a long term deal.

What it would take to trade for him aside...

I like the player. Cousins would be an instant upgrade at that position and would help maximize our WR core. 

He also knows how to play under duress. 

He is probably the best option of a starting QB heading into the season.

Edited by CanadianCat
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Their cap situation is overstated.  They have a good bit of flexibility in some of their other contracts.

They could release or trade one player, Hunter, and save $20m and be under the cap.

Release or trade Kendricks save another $9.5.

Restructure Thielen, they could free up $10m more.

Thats just a start, there have several more contracts that could easily present substantial cap savings if cut, traded, or restructured.

They don't have to do anything with Cousins financially, they might want to, they might decide that is too much to pay him for one year but financially they don't absolutely have to.

Also they could give Cousins an extension and greatly decrease his cap hit this year.  Problem with an extension though is Cousins has all of the leverage.  He knows he has a guaranteed $35m for one year.  He can always turn down their offer and just play for one year.  I'm guessing for him to sign an extension they would have to overpay on a long term deal.

Releasing or trading your two best defensive players does not feel like great flexibility, but I agree they could claw their way out of it by punting some money into the future and/or gutting the roster.  This is always an option.

But my guess is that a new regime will want a clean slate.  Get the finances in order (i.e. move cousins) and draft a QB.  Keep your best pass rusher and your all-pro LB (coming off a 143 tackle/5 sack season).  Take your lumps early in the honeymoon period with a rookie QB. 

Had we done this instead of trying to compete each year - we'd be in so much better shape.

To be clear - I'm not advocating for Cousins.  Don't want another 1-year rental.  But I think he could be had with very little changing hands.  It should be unnecessary to lose our first rounder.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

You do have to wonder about him based on that.  I'm curious to where you found that list, I found a list based on record vs teams with a winning record, he is pretty bad in that also, although from a few years ago.

NFL Quarterback records against winning teams | Sports & Fitness Digest (sportsandfitnessdigest.com)

Good thing Rams didn't' go off of that list since Stafford was even worse.

The whole assigning team wins and losses to the QB is not a good look.  QBs are not like pitchers in baseball.  A pitcher can literally control the game by themselves, and completely shut the other team down.  A QB does not play defense or special teams.  

20 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Releasing or trading your two best defensive players does not feel like great flexibility, but I agree they could claw their way out of it by punting some money into the future and/or gutting the roster.  This is always an option.

But my guess is that a new regime will want a clean slate.  Get the finances in order (i.e. move cousins) and draft a QB.  Keep your best pass rusher and your all-pro LB (coming off a 143 tackle/5 sack season).  Take your lumps early in the honeymoon period with a rookie QB. 

Had we done this instead of trying to compete each year - we'd be in so much better shape.

To be clear - I'm not advocating for Cousins.  Don't want another 1-year rental.  But I think he could be had with very little changing hands.  It should be unnecessary to lose our first rounder.

My only point was they don't have to trade him because they can't get under the cap any other way.  They could get under the cap without even losing those key players.  

I agree that he should go for less than what people think.  I just hope we are patient and don't give the Vikings an easy out.

I would be shocked if he signed an extension.  With the $35m guaranteed there is no reason for him to sign any type of deal unless it's a premium and I can't see them wanting to give out a 3yr/100m type of deal.

I don't see them taking Darnold and just swapping picks though.  In a vacuum that might sound good but you have to remember there are other teams out there that might offer something.  If you are the Vikings would you take Darnold and 1st round pick swap (6 spots) or a 2nd round pick from someone else?  I might like that 2nd rounder more because I save $18m I don't have to pay Darnold and I still have my 1st rounder that I can draft my QB.

So pick 6 + Darnold or pick 12 + $18m + 2nd rounder?  

The question becomes is there another team out there what would offer at least a 2nd?

2 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

I'd be fine with it if they are giving us a 1st round pick. We can make the cap space for that monstrous contract of his for 1 year in order to accumulate picks. We could get a premier LT at 6 and afford to take a flyer on a QB at 12. 

Why the hell would they give us Cousins, let us keep #6 and also give us another first rounder?

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

My only point was they don't have to trade him because they can't get under the cap any other way.  They could get under the cap without even losing those key players.  

I agree that he should go for less than what people think.  I just hope we are patient and don't give the Vikings an easy out.

I would be shocked if he signed an extension.  With the $35m guaranteed there is no reason for him to sign any type of deal unless it's a premium and I can't see them wanting to give out a 3yr/100m type of deal.

I don't see them taking Darnold and just swapping picks though.  In a vacuum that might sound good but you have to remember there are other teams out there that might offer something.  If you are the Vikings would you take Darnold and 1st round pick swap (6 spots) or a 2nd round pick from someone else?  I might like that 2nd rounder more because I save $18m I don't have to pay Darnold and I still have my 1st rounder that I can draft my QB.

So pick 6 + Darnold or pick 12 + $18m + 2nd rounder?  

The question becomes is there another team out there what would offer at least a 2nd?

Probably.  Denver, Washington, Pittsburg, and Houston are all teams probably considering a QB upgrade with more available cap than us.  Last thing I'd do is get in a bidding war.

I still believe our best option is to try to trade back, grab an OL and LB in rounds 1 and 2, and roll with Darnold for another year.  If everyone stays healthy (looking at you CMC), we may have a competitive season.  Then we draft our favorite QB next year when the class looks to be a little better.

• Beer 2