• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremiah: Panthers "dead set" on drafting an offensive lineman

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

This is the debate around Tyler Linderbaum. Checks off every box but do you want to use a #6 on a center? That's higher than Luke and Christian were picked. Kalil was the top C of his class and we got him at the bottom of the second.

Was he worth a first round? Considering how good he was and how long he played, was he worth a first round pick?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

I'm not Mr Scot, but I wouldn't say most were upset about passing on Slater last year. A lot of folks wanted Fields. A lot of the "experts" had Slater as the 1B OT in that draft. He wouldn't have been a reach at all.

As for Horn over Slater? I thought it was an ok pick since corner has been a need for quite a while. I also said I would have taken Slater over Horn since tackles impact every offensive snap whereas corners do not impact every defensive one.

Either way. Horn, while ultimately isn't whom I wanted, wasn't  my first two choices either.  And several teams also felt it was to early for slater, not that I would have minded slater. 

This board was,,  WTF.  

3 hours ago, MechaZain said:

This is the debate around Tyler Linderbaum. Checks off every box but do you want to use a #6 on a center? That's higher than Luke and Christian were picked. Kalil was the top C of his class and we got him at the bottom of the second.

Better a one-round reach for a centerpiece for the franchise vs a round/pick appropriate bust. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Was he worth a first round? Considering how good he was and how long he played, was he worth a first round pick?

Yes. I don't treat positional value as gospel.  BPA is a myth as well since you won't really know who that was was until the class hits the field.

There's a lot of unspoken value in having a positon sured up, no matter how important it is overall. 

Sounds like Linderbaum is akin to Quenton Nelson, a surefire, best prospect in years at a less valuable OL position. Interestingly, Nelson was also drafted at pick 6. No one really questions that selection now. Granted, Nelson had to become a perennial 1st team all pro to really make it worth it and he has. That's a high bar. I'd be ok with Linderbaum; he'd be ultra safe and undoubtedly make our team and offensive line better. But if an OT worthy of a top 10 pick is there, I think you have to take him. The positional value and scarcity of LTs is just too much. The salary allotted to the 6th pick is comparable to a top 10 C but amounts to maybe half of what it costs to sign a top 10 LT; plus free agent centers worthy of signing come around far more often than LTs. 

In a perfect world, if you're taking Linderbaum, you trade down a few spots, draft him and get a sorely needed 3rd. But a lot would have to align perfectly for that: a willing trade partner presenting a good offer and the gamble that he's still available at that slot. And would also have to hope Christensen is equipped to handle LT in that scenario. 

• Beer 1

Surprised the hype around Green isn't as high a Linderbaum.  He has the size along with the athletic+power combo.  Is if not more tough as nails than the Iowa kid.  Can play tackle and guard (likely long-term guard starter).

Kenyon Green could the the "reach" pick

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Remember Bradbury the C from NC State who was picked middle of the 1st? He was lauded but McCoy and Jenkins were just a hair behind him in ranking (and played better in the NFL), but they went almost a whole round later. That’s why I’m not a big Linderbaum guy. There seem to be C/Gs who are just a shade better than other C/Gs and they go way earlier than the 2nd/3rd rated guys. The value is usually the 2nd/3rd guys. That’s why I am all in on LT this year and would rather get our future C in day 2 next year when we actually have a day 2 pick or at least have it now. 

True. 

A separate point though is I’m seeing Green ranked right alongside or even higher than Tyler L in a handful of cases.

Anywhere from 8-20ish on big boards.

He’s an interesting one who should be discussed more.