• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your solution for the QB situation?

AU-panther

The smartest play is to go with what we've got in the QB room now and let it run its course. They traded real things for Sam Darnold and we need to trot him back out there, win or lose. We'll lose but that is what they built here. 

And before we get into the Deshaun Watson crap (and it is pure crap and would saddle us for years with no first round draft picks for a guy who may never see the field again), let's just realize that any QB brought in here is going to lose behind this offensive line and this team's coaching. Whoever comes in is a dead man walking. No top end free agent is going to risk that. Maybe a mid to low grade starter will if we put enough cheddar down, but no one serious. 

Play it out, don't mortgage tomorrow to save Rhule's sinking ship. If he can pull off a miracle, we might believe in Rhule again. But that's what it is going to take for us to get behind this coach. 

Grab a late round QB and throw him out there mid-season if we must. Get him some experience with an eye towards back up QB at a reasonable price, because neither Newton, Walker or Darnold are inexpensive back up options or are guys who can really be called upon to win one or two games in a pinch right now.

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.

Force Rhule to dance with the date he brought, no more spending sprees or handing out picks to try to put a band aid on a bullet hole.

Play Sam, build the O Line like crazy....go for a QB next year.  We will likely have a top 4 selection again...that's when you pounce.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

The fact that you listed 6 choices does not make it my choice.  Maybe next time you should think about your thread title before you get all pissy with members on here because you didn't get what you were fishing for.

maybe I expected people to read past the title, but thank you for adding nothing to the topic at hand

The Panthers have a lot to figure out this offseason, particularly at the quarterback position. Darnold's 5th-year option was picked up for $18 million prior to the start of the 2021 season meaning he will be under contract through next season.

I don't see there being much trade value for him and even if the Panthers do find a trade partner, they will have to pay a large amount of what is owed to him and get very little in return.

With that said, it makes the most sense to just place the focus on rebuilding the offensive line and gut out one more season with Darnold at the helm. If he doesn't improve behind a better line, than you can move on from him after next season and not owe him a dime. 

I don't have a problem with taking Pickett, or any of the college qb's with the first round pick.  Most of the predictions regarding college qb's success in the NFL are just guesswork anyway, so whomever we draft has as the more hyped qb's do.

There is a part of me though that says Rhule wanted the trade with the Jets for Darnold.  He made his bed, he should have to lie in it.  Either turn Darnold into a decent qb, or find another job next year.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II

23 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Trade down to around 15, draft QB (Howell, Ridder, or Correl), use newly acquired 2nd round pick on an IOL, and let BC play LT.

I like this. I honestly don't see the huge drop off between these 3 and Pickett or Willis. In fact, without the knee injuries, Howell would probably go ahead of the other 2. There's a good chance that either of these 3 would sit a lot, if not all, of the season behind Sam, but we honestly need the extra draft pick on the line. Hopefully at Center. I think BC has earned a chance to play LT. 

I think the plan is to trade back, unless they can get a buttload of picks for a CMC or Moore.  I still think Fitt trades back if the offer is there.  Having said that, if we add 2 studs on the OL (free agency--not like the studs we signed last year) we could see an improved Darnold--nobody has seen him behind a stud OL--I am not saying that he will evolve, but I am saying our options are very limited.

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think the plan is to trade back, unless they can get a buttload of picks for a CMC or Moore.  I still think Fitt trades back if the offer is there.  Having said that, if we add 2 studs on the OL (free agency--not like the studs we signed last year) we could see an improved Darnold--nobody has seen him behind a stud OL--I am not saying that he will evolve, but I am saying our options are very limited.

I'm sure the plan is to try to trade back.  But can they?

At this point they're stuck with Darnold in 2022. Rhule made his bed and now he has to try and dig his way out of it. Good news is, Darnold is f*cking TERRIBLE and will lose a lot of games. Fire everyone after the 2022 season, hire a new staff, draft a QB, and rebuild the f*cking right way.

Cherry on top - Tepper goes to jail for insider trading and the Panthers get an owner from NC.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm sure the plan is to try to trade back.  But can they?

I think a lot of players rose during the combine--I think someone fell in love with a DT from Georgia, a CB from Cincy, a S from ND, maybe a WR from OSU---in addition to Neal at T---I think someone will be there worth trading up for.  I could be wrong.

Edited by MHS831