• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Whole lot of Deshaun Watson chatter happening out there

Zod

3 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Sounds great, but you can spend 25 years taking swings on rookie QBs that don’t become superstars. Ask the Browns. Or the Jets. Or the Dolphins. And even when you hit big, they’re only cheap for 4-5 seasons.

That’s why a QB like Watson is so valuable even with the warts. Stud QB. Young. Probably a 10-year fixture. 

There are definite team-building issues, but assuming Carolina doesn’t give up too much in the way of current players, an elite QB turns last year’s team into a division winner in 2022. Can Carolina get away with flipping McCaffrey for a first and third and flipping those assets + 2021 First + 2022 First + 2022 Second + Darnold + two young players for Watson? If so, then it’s worth it.

So 25 years seems like hyperbole.  I mean I watched last season too and yea it felt like slow death.  We swung on Pickles, Sam, Cam and Will Grier.  TB was and always should have been seen as a bridge QB.  To me Watson and the sacrifices made to attain him would give us short term success with a ceiling to how far we could actually go.  Without young players coming in we could end up just like the Texans reliant on veteran players instead of building future stars.  It all reeks of impatience.  Our oline needs building, our linebacker Corp needs new recruits and yea the QB room needs flushing.  We can revamp that QB room in two years.  Draft a developmental backup this year, get a veteran in FA and draft the future next year.  We have seen the Watson story so far and I would stop reading or change the channel. Give me a kid in next year's draft and let's enjoy his story.  

58 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:
1 hour ago, mickeye76 said:

What did Watson ever do in Houston?  Pad stats and lose.  

Division winners at 11-5 and 10-6 in two of his three full seasons wasn't good enough for you? I'd take it.

Pretty good for such a sh*t franchise, eh?  😂

Not to mention 7 winning records in last 11 seasons (same as Panthers entire history)...6 division titles in last 11 (again same as Panthers entire history)...and 4 back-to-back winning seasons in last 11 (Panthers = 0 in history).

Why would Mr. Whip-It-Out leave that to come here...

...hurt feelings?

6 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

If we had a magnifying glass into the lives of NFL players, owners, you might quit the whole game all together.

Yeah, but this isn't under a magnifying glass. This is in front of a telescope.

On the NFL Network last night, they had a special program celebrating the contributions of women in the NFL for International Women's Day, and then cut to coverage of how teams are waiting anxiously waiting on the grand jury decision for the 22 credible counts of sexual assault against Deshaun Watson, so that if they decide it's not "criminal" they can beat down his door to give him a huge contract and make him the face of their franchise. If he just settles his grievous misconduct with his nearly 2 dozen accusers financially, then we should stop impeding this man's road to fame and fabulous wealth. Now let's pat ourselves on the back about how little girls can hope to grow up to be sideline reporters and cheerleaders.

This right here, is the embodiment of the whole issue; if you can play ball well, we'll look the other way.

Well I don't have to like that, and I don't have to tolerate it. And if my beloved franchise tells me I should, then fug 'em.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Captroop said:

On the NFL Network last night, they had a special program celebrating the contributions of women in the NFL for International Women's Day, and then cut to coverage of how teams are waiting anxiously waiting on the grand jury decision for the 22 credible counts of sexual assault against Deshaun Watson, so that if they decide it's not "criminal" they can beat down his door to give him a huge contract and make him the face of their franchise. If he just settles his grievous misconduct with his nearly 2 dozen accusers financially, then we should stop impeding this man's road to fame and fabulous wealth. Now let's pat ourselves on the back about how little girls can hope to grow up to be sideline reporters and cheerleaders.

This right here, is the embodiment of the whole issue; if you can play ball well, we'll look the other way.

Well I don't have to like that, and I don't have to tolerate it. And if my beloved franchise tells me I should, then fug 'em.

Amen!!!

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

I respect that. I'm hoping they don't do this.

I'd rather positive Ace Boogie energy if we're getting a FA.

We have the opportunity to get right and take the NFCS but we can't do that if we're giving away our best players.

Fitts is wise. Cam may be a better, bigger Deshaun for a cheaper cost. A FA that won't embarrass us. Positive energy. Somebody who loves you.

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

We have the opportunity to get right and take the NFCS but we can't do that if we're giving away our best players.

Fitts is wise. Cam may be a better, bigger Deshaun for a cheaper cost. A FA that won't embarrass us. Positive energy. Somebody who loves you.

I need it. My 2022 has been butt-fugging awful so far. This really would be the cherry on the cake.

And let it be known, to any who may be listening; I will happily deal with the pain of inadequacy! Gladly slog through a decade of mediocrity. I'll watch with frustration, I'll rage at the screen, but I'll be a Panthers fan if they're doing it the right way.

But I won't be a fan of a franchise that tries to win, not matter the cost. I won't compromise my morality to cheer for a sports team.

You tell me the alternative is Sam? Or Malik? Or an aging, broekn down Cam. I'll watch. I'll cheer. I'm in. Deshaun is in, I'm out.

jackie earle haley | GIF | PrimoGIF

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Nope. It is hypocritical of the league to allow this. A sexual predator is always one and much more so if they have money to get away with it.  No sir, I'm out if that is the type of owner we have. 

How is it hypocritical of the league when they have a current owner who done the same thing with no repercussions??

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

Chatter makes sense.  It's possible - not necessarily likely - but possible that after Friday he's left with only the civil cases. 

If the grand jury doesn't indict him, it's a shot across the bow to the civil cases as well.  If prosecutors can't meet the standard for criminal charges, it doesn't necessarily mean he gets off from the civil, but it makes it more likely there is a settlement.

It would mean that he isn't a criminal. I'm not sure the NFL will care much about civil cases.

7 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Cam is not a better QB at this point in his career than Watson.  Hell I don't think Cam has ever been a better QB than Watson, except for maybe his MVP year.  Watson is a top 5 pure passer when hes playing....kinda hard to dispute that.   His last season playing he completed a whopping 70% of his passes, for nearly 5,000 yards 33 TDs and 7 INTs.  And his lowest completion percentage while starting the full season is 67.3%.  Pretty incredible when you realize hes hardly just dinking and dunking down the field.  He takes risks and deep shots on the regular. 

10 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Cam right now isn't better than deshaun. And I love cam

• Pie 1