• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper hired a private investigator to look into Deshaun Watson

Zod

1 minute ago, ellis said:

As with anything, until we know the whole story, there are no real absolutes here. Those with whom I have spoken within that circle have consistently told me that the team has been steadfast in their Watson interest. I do think criminal charges would curb that pretty quick, and like I said earlier in the thread, I think that’s pretty much what it comes down to. I think that would be the only thing that would break their interest. They’ve taken their time, and David Tepper is not afraid to overextend for whatever he wants. Did the same thing with his current HC. 

Makes sense and thanks for the info and take. The thing that I think bothers many fans is seeing the owner be so obsessed with trading for an accused sexual predator without hesitation. Because the optics on the outside look like the only reason Watson isn't a Panther right now is because he doesn't want to play for Carolina.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah because that’s all we have. I told everyone not to get on Hornets nuts because they would come back to earth.

bro too true. I feel like Ball is gonna bolt for the Lakers in a couple years and the Hornets will be back to being a bottom dweller.

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Makes sense and thanks for the info and take. The thing that I think bothers many fans is seeing the owner be so obsessed with trading for an accused sexual predator without hesitation. Because the optics on the outside look like the only reason Watson isn't a Panther right now is because he doesn't want to play for Carolina.

Literally, hiring a PI would be hesitation.

This doesn't surprise me at all...teams do this ALL THE TIME, they just use a shitty scout as the PI...especially on higher risk players coming out of college.

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It certainly runs counter to the made for TV event, during I believe rush-hour traffic, In which the owner commandeered a crew to hoist Jerry Richardson’s ridiculous statue up into the heavens on a goddamn crane, and loaded onto flatbed, In the name of culture change. 

I had no problem with removing the statue, Jerry made that bed, so there’s that. 

It would be fun if Watson was not what is being accused, because he’s an outstanding player, and would immediately make Carolina relevant again. But until nearly 2 dozen complaints are resolved, and more importantly, the criminal element is deemed non-existent, these are terrible optics. 

Counterpoint: they reportedly hired an investigator, this is not new news by the way, and they have been taking their time on it. And, this is the brutal truth of it, Dave might just be willing to overlook a lot of what some of us wouldn’t to make this all happen, because at the end of the day, I can unequivocally say that he wants a star QB that bad. 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just not sure at all how Carolina would both offer an "embarrassment of riches" for Watson AND convince him to come here. It would be his Texans' situation all over again - elite QB surrounded by straight trash. That's without even getting into the concerns about the staff and an owner who very well may be completely clueless on how to run a football organization. It's a lot of hurdles to overcome. 

At the end of the day, I suspect that much like the Lions likely did with Stafford, our offer will just be used to get better offers out of the actual contenders.

We are in excellent position to offer an “embarrassment”.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Literally, hiring a PI would be hesitation.

This doesn't surprise me at all...teams do this ALL THE TIME, they just use a shitty scout as the PI...especially on higher risk players coming out of college.

@Vergesaid Tepper hired the PI back in October. @ellisthen said Tepper was prepared to trade for Watson in November, regardless of the status of his criminal charges. 

Maybe he did have hesitation before he hired the PI, but if Ellis is right, whatever hesitation Tepper had seemed to have gone out the window given whatever the PI was able to report. 

Maybe the case against Watson is being dismissed, who knows. Either way, the reports Watson refused to waive his no-trade clause for the Panthers seems to ring true. And my comment about the Panthers simping for Watson despite the fact he already rejected them, DURING his criminal investigation, says a lot. 

Watson doesn't want to come to the Panthers. 

Fetch Mean Girls GIF

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just not sure at all how Carolina would both offer an "embarrassment of riches" for Watson AND convince him to come here. It would be his Texans' situation all over again - elite QB surrounded by straight trash. That's without even getting into the concerns about the staff and an owner who very well may be completely clueless on how to run a football organization. It's a lot of hurdles to overcome. 

At the end of the day, I suspect that much like the Lions likely did with Stafford, our offer will just be used to get better offers out of the actual contenders.

This is where I am at in terms of the deal necessary to make this trade happen. 

At a certain point, it becomes less enticing of a destination for Watson based on the assets given up to acquire him. 

We're already strapped for talent and draft capital as is. Strip the next three drafts of 1st and 2nd round picks as well as take away two starting caliber players from our roster. We will solve the QB position but then we're out assets to recoup everything given up to get the QB. We would become the Fcuking Detroit Lions of the past decade with Stafford as their QB - Stud QB, terrible coaching, and no talent to surround said Stud QB. Watson would come into this team looking for talent and help like:

GIF by Orlando International Airport (MCO)

It's a net loss for us to get Watson based on the price tag alone not even taking into account the sexual assault allegations on top of it all. 

Animated GIF

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

@Vergesaid Tepper hired the PI back in October. @ellisthen said Tepper was prepared to trade for Watson in November, regardless of the status of his criminal charges. 

Maybe he did have hesitation before he hired the PI, but if Ellis is right, whatever hesitation Tepper had seemed to have gone out the window given whatever the PI was able to report. 

Maybe the case against Watson is being dismissed, who knows. Either way, the reports Watson refused to waive his no-trade clause for the Panthers seems to ring true. And my comment about the Panthers simping for Watson despite the fact he already rejected them, DURING his criminal investigation, says a lot. 

Watson doesn't want to come to the Panthers. 

Fetch Mean Girls GIF

Florio’s reported, among others, that the Panthers were not adverse to making a play for watson on the trade deadline with the civil complaints unresolved.  Independently, I can’t verify that, other than to say I haven’t heard anyone push back on it. 

Just want to be clear about that, it’s not insignificant. In any event, they have been players in this about as long as any team in the league.

Edited by ellis
  • Beer 2