• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No more Watson threads. Use this one or one of the other 20 existing ones.

rayzor

11 minutes ago, Coheed said:

Well, I was three years old when that happened and had no concept of competitive sports or object permanence for that matter, good try tho.

Hey I'm just trying to get a feel for where the boundaries are for making a scene on the way out the door so I know when to get my feather boa and loin cloth for my own exit performance whenever I get a wild hair.

Just to clarify though - as long as the reprehensible behavior happened before you were a fan of the team / old enough to care it's cool.  All I needed - thanks.

Edit because I forgot a question!!

Since the Panthers are doing everything they can do to acquire the player should the clear intent to bring him here not damn them in your eyes anyway?  If I were you I'd make my exit now - that indignation shouldn't hinge on what *Watson* does...but on the team.  They very clearly intend to sign him.

Edited by mwright350
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

29 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I agree.  So we pay $35m for a QB who is out for over 1/3 of our games.  2022 done, imo. We lose a star RB, DE, and maybe a WR like Moore.  We lose our first in 2022, 2023, and 2024.  And we can only be good when this investment is 28--which means we have a top QB for about 5-7 years.

So if 2022 is a lost cause because we only get Watson for about 60% of the games if he is healthy, why not trade the players you intend to include in the deal for first rounders, basically guaranteeing the chance to draft a top rookie QB in 2023, when the shopping is good? 

Not suggesting this, but I am saying there are many ways to become relevant.  If we dont get Watson, I am OK with it.  If we do, great.

Let's say we give up the farm (players and captial) for Watson.  He gets suspended and we suck.  Rhule gets fired. We have no relationship in reality with him.  No history.  We are seeing more and more of this trend of QBs not caring about contracts or anything like that.  Just demand to be traded or make life miserable.    Would it be crazy that after a bad 2022 and a staff he might not love that Watson simply becomes a problem?  Demands to be traded?  He literally did that in Hou after he signed that big deal with them. 

Watson is a big risk.  For so many different reasons.  And if you sign him, you have to pull for whatever the 22 civil cases eventually reveal.   That's your team at that point. 

*and Watson was my favorite football player.   Was my all time favorite (college and pro).  So I don't want to hear that I am a hater.  I'm a huge Clemson fan.   This is a huge  gamble and the fanbase is so tired of losing I think they are overlooking how big of a risk Watson is given the high cost. 

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I agree.  So we pay $35m for a QB who is out for over 1/3 of our games.  2022 done, imo. We lose a star RB, DE, and maybe a WR like Moore.  We lose our first in 2022, 2023, and 2024.  And we can only be good when this investment is 28--which means we have a top QB for about 5-7 years.

So if 2022 is a lost cause because we only get Watson for about 60% of the games if he is healthy, why not trade the players you intend to include in the deal for first rounders, basically guaranteeing the chance to draft a top rookie QB in 2023, when the shopping is good? 

Not suggesting this, but I am saying there are many ways to become relevant.  If we dont get Watson, I am OK with it.  If we do, great.

Think of this as an investment. 

Best case - he makes us competitive and gets us in the playoff conversation for the next 5 years.

or - we are not able to build anything of note in 3-4 years and decide to tear it all down again and start fresh.  Dude will probably still be worth 3 first round picks at age 32.

I think people see the 3 first rounders going out and forget we now have an asset that could probably be flipped for 3 first rounders in the future.  We're not permanently losing the draft capital - just moving it into another asset (although realistically, that asset could get hurt and be worth much less at some point).

Tepper is a hedge fund guy.  This is probably how he is looking at this.

• Pie 1

Just now, Tbe said:

Watson screwed them over. They won’t let him screw them a 2nd time.

They really don't have much of a choice.  He has almost all of the leverage.  Sure, they could just threaten to sit him another year, but he's hamstringing them still because that's just a ton of deadcap getting eaten up for a player that isn't even active.  If we woo him and he says this is where he wants to go, they will have to acquiesce.

I'm also hoping the same kind of magic that Pat Stewart pulled off with his former peers in NE with thr Gilmore trade will kick in with Caserio here, and we'll be able to get a little bit of a discount compared to what's been reported.

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

They really don't have much of a choice.  He has almost all of the leverage.  Sure, they could just threaten to sit him another year, but he's hamstringing them still because that's just a ton of deadcap getting eaten up for a player that isn't even active.  If we woo him and he says this is where he wants to go, they will have to acquiesce.

I'm also hoping the same kind of magic that Pat Stewart pulled off with his former peers in NE with thr Gilmore trade will kick in with Caserio here, and we'll be able to get a little bit of a discount compared to what's been reported.

Pretty sure if he refuses to play they can suspend him for conduct detrimental and he won't count towards their cap.

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Pretty sure if he refuses to play they can suspend him for conduct detrimental and he won't count towards their cap.

Slippery slope, because he can say he isn't refusing to play, but then play half-assed.  Or that he never refused to play and they suspended him anyway, where then the NFLPA would get involved.  

I just don't think that either scenario is in the Texans best interest.

30 minutes ago, CRA said:

Let's say we give up the farm (players and captial) for Watson.  He gets suspended and we suck.  Rhule gets fired. We have no relationship in reality with him.  No history.  We are seeing more and more of this trend of QBs not caring about contracts or anything like that.  Just demand to be traded or make life miserable.    Would it be crazy that after a bad 2022 and a staff he might not love that Watson simply becomes a problem?  Demands to be traded?  He literally did that in Hou after he signed that big deal with them. 

Watson is a big risk.  For so many different reasons.  And if you sign him, you have to pull for whatever the 22 civil cases eventually reveal.   That's your team at that point. 

*and Watson was my favorite football player.   Was my all time favorite (college and pro).  So I don't want to hear that I am a hater.  I'm a huge Clemson fan.   This is a huge  gamble and the fanbase is so tired of losing I think they are overlooking how big of a risk Watson is given the high cost. 

Lets say we give up the farm for Watson. He plays very well in a "fug you" mode and the Panthers go 11-6 in their first year. Will you be back to posting positive messages and pretend you were never negative about Tepper? Yes

59 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Think it’s weird no Saint fans have shown up here.  @Iron Saint?  

I been 👀

No idea how this is all gonna end up. Although the “Saints could never make this work cap wise” and “idk why he’d choose the Saints over us” comments are fantastic lol. Panthers have won 15 games in the last 49. Saints won 9 games last year with 4 different starting QBs. 

How I think this all will work, and this is just my guess because I’m not going to pretend like I have any idea what goes on in those buildings. I think the Texans have fielded offers. I’m sure they have a list of offers they would accept/begin negotiations from. I think Watson and his team were probably notified of said offers, and he’s able to get together the list of teams he’d be willing to meet with out of that group. 

I don’t see Watson meeting with teams who have offers on the table the Texans wouldn’t accept and I also don’t see him wasting time if it’s not a destination he’d want to end up in. I think it will all come down to who sells him the best. Where he feels like he has the best chance to win/make money. I think he makes the decision and says I’ll waive my NTC for “team x” because him telling the Texans he’ll waive it for a group of teams only starts a bidding war that depletes his next team. That doesn’t help him. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1