• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talking Offensive Line - Is this an improvement?

Zod

Campen will make the line better.  No doubt.  Would still be a shock if they were "good".

The big issue is we got through last year without giving adequate time to two draft picks.  We still aren't sure what their ceiling is.  Maybe they already hit their ceiling and Campen won't help.  Maybe they have room to get better.

This proposal says we go into the year with two unknowns and a FA.  We just can't know anything there.

I think we'll look better offensively this year with actual NFL coaches on that side of the ball.  Though it's becoming questionable whether Brady was really the issue.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Hard to say--they played the C at G a lot or at C flanked by two mouth-breathing doorknob humpers.  The LT, as a rookie, played 4 OL positions and looked a bit lost a lot.  The RG was on Jenny Craig's deluxe plan and they refused to play him for most of the season.  Our LG is most famous for surrending the hit that ruined Burrow's rookie season.  He was the weakest link on a weak unit in Cincy.  So we really do not know what we have, and Rhule all but admitted that at the combine when he talked about BC--the guy who he has claimed to be a G due to his short arms---playing LT.

Moton balled.

Edited by MHS831

No not really. I don’t care what people say, Elf was horrible and still graded terrible at center. Brown, a possibility but we have no clue. At this point he hasn’t played really at all and can’t be counted as a starter, we don’t even really know if he’s backup material as he was inactive for the majority of the year. We MUST get a vet starter that is proven in the off-season to have any hope at a halfway decent line because we still only have one proven player in Moton. This doesn’t even touch our depth on the line where we have….Erving 😳

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’ll be shocked if Brown is any good. People like to fantasize about rookies who haven’t had a chance but let’s be honest, the round 6 starting offensive line stud is in KC. The odds that Brown joins him are slim to none and there was a medical reason for one drop versus horrific RAS score and Senior Bowl play for the other. I’m worried about BC as well. We’ve seen OL in limited play look good for us but their play hasn’t been dissected by opponents for bad tendencies and weaknesses. We had 11 picks last year and 4-5 should have been used on OL and we spent a 3rd and 6th. Now we are we’re we are hoping both of those are the real deal and hoping we can get a FA fix and that Elflein holds up. Even if that’s our starting OL, I’d be worried about Elflein and Brown holding up for a whole year.

I'm just saying we had opportunities to find out. Christensen should've gotten a lot more time at LT. Brown should've gotten an opportunity to play RG. If the vets are trash you might as well get a look at your rookies, especially once you're mathematically eliminated. We blew a golden opportunity to do just that in a risk free environment. Especially since the QB of the future wasn't even on the roster and the star RB was already on IR. 

• Pie 3

Just now, stbugs said:

I agree but I think people put Brown on a pedestal because he had some great highlights of running over guys half his weight. For BC, at his age, yeah he should be expected to start and be ready. I’m actually willing to side with Rhule on Brown.

I know you saw his play at the Senior Bowl. Forget our atrocious OL play, do you honestly think Brown would be ready to play this year?

I don't think anyone is putting him on a pedestal. He's just an unknown. An unknown is better than known trash.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I agree but I think people put Brown on a pedestal because he had some great highlights of running over guys half his weight. For BC, at his age, yeah he should be expected to start and be ready. I’m actually willing to side with Rhule on Brown.

I know you saw his play at the Senior Bowl. Forget our atrocious OL play, do you honestly think Brown would be ready to play this year?

If you put Brown next to Elflein, the pass rush up the middle will resemble what was there last year. May be a decent straight ahead run blocker, but NFL DTs will abuse his lack of agility and that will fade as well. His hype was in hoping he committed to changing his body and getting in shape for once. That hasn’t happened. 

• Pie 2

It’s the same OL, with BC having a little experience which should upgrade the LT spot, the FA should dramatically upgrade the LG, Elf and Moton are the same and Brown can’t possibly be worse that what we had at RG last year. Should be a big upgrade IMO. BC will be the biggest X Factor and give us a solid OL if he is capable. We could probably draft another OG on the 4th/5th to compete with Brown and provide a little depth.