• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer Press Conference

Jackie Lee

If you took nothing away you don't know how to read between the lines, because there was a lot unsaid that spoke volumes.

"They know this is a great place to live and this is a place that should be desirable." The very loud implication is that it isn't desirable. Acknowledging that they know it's not desirable for players is acknowledging that he knows the reason why. Leads me to believe it's no questions that Rhule's on the hot seat, and he not only has to win, but build a culture that's attractive to players.

"The right way to build a team is to draft and develop." He followed that up by saying the best situation with a quarterback is to get "5 good years" out of them on their rookie contract, before they ask for the sky to re-sign, and then you don't have the cap space to build around them anymore.

To me, that says he's not considering anyone who's not a day one starter at the QB position with our #6 pick. It's simply not cost-effective to spend a year developing a first rounder. If he's drafting a guy in the first round, he's going to want to plug him in day 1. If he's going to develop a QB, it will be someone in the later rounds.

It's debatable how many guys in the draft this year are ready, or even capable of taking over the starting role from day 1. And when he said they're bringing in 30 guys, he specifically said QB and tackle.

I've gotta think based on this conference we're leaning towards a tackle in the draft.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

Just now, Captroop said:

If you took nothing away you don't know how to read between the lines, because there was a lot unsaid that spoke volumes.

"They know this is a great place to live and this is a place that should be desirable." The very loud implication is that it isn't desirable. Acknowledging that they know it's not desirable for players is acknowledging that he knows the reason why. Leads me to believe it's no questions that Rhule's on the hot seat, and he not only has to win, but build a culture that's attractive to players.

"The right way to build a team is to draft and develop." He followed that up by saying the best situation with a quarterback is to get "5 good years" out of them on their rookie contract, before they ask for the sky to re-sign, and then you don't have the cap space to build around them anymore.

To me, that says he's not considering anyone who's not a day one starter at the QB position with our #6 pick. It's simply not cost-effective to spend a year developing a first rounder. If he's drafting a guy in the first round, he's going to want to plug him in day 1. If he's going to develop a QB, it will be someone in the later rounds.

It's debatable how many guys in the draft this year are ready, or even capable of taking over the starting role from day 1. And when he said they're bringing in 30 guys, he specifically said QB and tackle.

I've gotta think based on this conference we're leaning towards a tackle in the draft.

I agree with most of what you said but he literally said the best way to build a team is with a QB on a rookie salary. He also implied Brady being back threw a wrench into the NFC South thing so I’m not positive Pickett is the pick. If Willis/Corral have more upside in their eyes we’re drafting one of them and likely bringing Cam/trading for a Minshew/Foles type while they figure it out this year. I really do think Rhule has ceded a good bit of control to Fitt and Morgan whether he realizes it or not. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Yup he also mentioned McAdoo already talking with Sam, and pretty much referred to his QB development skills as one of his strengths. Basically he got Eli out of his funk in NY when he came on board, fixing his footwork and drops etc. Can't give Darnold a brain replacement tho..

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Here is my take: 

Offensive Tackle:  We are better up front (OL) but would like to add 1 more player.  Talked about BC's versatility, so he is saying, "If a LT does not happen, we can go with what we have now."  Mentioned Elf, Bozeman, Moton, and Corbett--and BC's flexibility.  Sd OL has more depth.  I think we could be set on the OL and this did not sound as if we were targeting a T at the moment--smokescreen?

Edge:  Mentioned that Luvu and Haynes flashed and played better with reps.  Sd they need to step up.  I am not sure we are going to draft or sign an edge with the #6 pick.

QB:  We are drafting a QB.  Basically, my take is this--we are going to start with Sam Darnold and feel that the team has been built around him--something that was missing last year.  Sam will have competition.  That competition will be Willis, Pickett, or Corral, in my opinion. 

When asked about drafting a QB:  He said, you do not want to reach, but you have to take swings at the QB position.  Also, he talked about building a team around a QB on a rookie salary.  Compared to Seattle/Russell Wilson.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

10 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Really? I walked away with the impression that they were def going to go QB, probably Pickett as that meets your criteria.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1